Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the best amp you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• Matchless HC-30 / early Bad Cat BC30.

There's just nothing like them, and they feel fantastic to play. The new Bad Cats are nothing like the originals, sadly.

After that, my old '68 Twin was an amazing amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 566
    My DR Z Maz 18JR & Rift PR35.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My (now sold) 67 JTM50 black flag plexi into 67 pinstripe strap handle cab…

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1958 Gibson GA-8 Gibsonette - Sold it as the wiring terrified me (google a pic!) and I didn't have a tech anywhere close, and I needed rent money. Went for about £400.00 which is sad when I see what they sell for now! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16297
    Soldano SLO 30
      Gartone Bluesman
      Carr Lincoln ( just the sweetest Voxy clean and a whole lot of Brian May when driven hard ) Incredible Amp and the favourite choice of Joe Gore ,the Tone fiend
  • 1979 Marshall JMP Super Lead 100w head into a pair of 4x12s. Cross-plugged. Amazing.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    IV changed through the years ..

I loved the MK4 boogie with EV ...I don't use it much now 

Next up was a Redplate CDS2 ...great amp 

I'm sort of going between my Omega modded hotrod deluxe ...RDA Dualist and Redplate Astrodust all really nice amps ....got to say I used the Astrodust at rehearsal last week and the sound was exceptional ...on cleans and the drives equally ....I have been using a joyo American in the front just as a EQ not sure iff I need it or not though yet 
  • Barney said:

I'm sort of going between my Omega modded hotrod deluxe ...RDA Dualist and Redplate Astrodust all really nice amps ....got to say I used the Astrodust at rehearsal last week and the sound was exceptional ...on cleans and the drives equally ....I have been using a joyo American in the front just as a EQ not sure iff I need it or not though yet 
    Did you sell your CDS2 in the end mate ?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Ignoring practicalities like size weight and sheer volume, it’s old AC30s
    Enough about you.. what about the amp?? :D 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 281
    I’m very much enjoying my Rift Blonde Bassman. My band mates tell me it’s the best amp they have heard me use. My Cornell Romany 12 is pretty special too. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    My old Blackstar Artisan 15 clean was an amazing 3D pedal platform.  <3
  • The best amp I played is a late 60's Marshall JMP 50w. 

Oddly enough the finest live sounds/tones I have heard have all been guitarists playing HRD's (I presume all hired), so I have a suspicion a truly exceptional amp isn't as important as the guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 620
    Barney said:

Did you sell your CDS2 in the end mate ?
    No mate ....i still have it just not used it for a while it's handy though with being small and light ...I probably get a decent reverb pedal that can live in the back of it ....
  • Blackstar Artisan 30. Absolutely insane that such an incredible sounding handwired pedal platform can sell for as little as £400.

It’s true that the combos are extremely heavy (and one of the reasons I moved mine on) but get yourself a head and cab and you’re well away.
  • Like a few other people - 70's Marshall JMP 50W, cranked.
  • My 1966 Vox AC50 into my 4x12 orange cab pushed with a box of rock beats all my Marshall/attenuator combinations of the past, although I had one 1959SLP/4x12 Greenbacks and Powerbrake combination that sounded pretty awesome too.

And my 1967 super reverb sold on here.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9636
    I realise not everyone will get the chance to play one, but if you're ever close to Coda, you owe it to yourself to try a Bartel. The only problem is, nothing else will ever compare.
    These aren't well built, they're obsessive. They're inspiring and the more you own one, the more tones and settings you discover. For an incredibly simple single channel amp, it's insane. 
    I've had all number of high end amps, it's just the very best.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eziabqrh8xd301e/0F8C413F-9C54-4EBF-8DD1-9D2FABF4523E.jpeg?raw=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    My old Silverface Twin Reverb with JBL’s … I’ll never forget that amp …. The pains in my back remind me of it daily . 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    HerrMetal said:
    Like a few other people - 70's Marshall JMP 50W, cranked.
    This is the thing. Cranked. 

Sound very good at regular volumes but when those output valves start cooking a new and wonderful dimension occurs. The richness and frequencies change and it is so touch sensitive. 

I use an attenuator with mine all the time no matter the volume in the room, because it gets those output valves reallcooking. 

• equalsql said:
    The one that blew you away in terms of tone, flexibility, build quality etc. 
    Was it the clean tones or overdrive, what was the magic that the amp has/ had.
    For me it was a Mesa Boogie Mark III Simul-Class in the late 1980s.
    It was an utter beast which took a lot of taming, but lordy the clean tones were crystal and the overdrive just punched through everything. The build quality was awesome too. 
    Look at it, it's gorgeous.

I had a fully loaded MkIII (EV speaker/Simulclass power stage) exactly like that one. I agree, they were outstanding amps.

I sold mine as I’d stopped gigging and moving the thing around was problematic - they were spectacularly heavy. 
    My Mark IV was 37.5kg if memory serves, that was with a Black Shadow C90!