PitBulls & Turtles

What's Hot

Comments

• iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited March 2015
    I'm 6'5. Its so hard finding a dog
    I can't accidentally hurt when I play with it. It's been a constant worry.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    Tell me about the rabbits, Lenny.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Dalefty;567004" said:
    streethawk said:

Pls explain. 

£20.00 is roughly AUD$40.00, for that price my mother can overnight me a guitar in a flight case from Melbourne Australia to the U.K. which uses DPD on this end of the journey, so an hour befor the package arrives at mine, I get a warning text message along the lines of ''Your drivers names is Andy, your parcel is number 4, your expected delivery slot is between 9.03am and 10.03am'' - yes it is that exact, I also get a nice little email the night before with a link to a tracking facility on their website so I can ''stalk'' - for lack of a better term, Andy, my local DPD delivery man's name is actually Andy, and watch him in real time as he does his rounds and be at the door waiting for him so he doesn't even need to knock - I actually usually have a cup of coffee ready for him, I've had that much crap sent to me from back home recently that Andy and I are on friendly terms so friendly in fact that I have bought styrofoam coffe cups, so he can get a cup of coffee off of me whenever he delivers anything to my place, or my office.

DPD is one of the few courier services I will use in the U.K., I won't shop anywhere that uses UKmail, parcel force, Yodel, Fedex or UPS because I have had shockingly bad service from every single one of them, I have even had delivery drives try and slip the 'sorry you where not in' note through my letter box as quietly as they can without even knocking on my door - I've actually caught them doing this several times, just so they can try and charge me up to £20.00 to rearrange a delivery - I always agree to pay what ever they want to redeliver my parcel in cash, then when the driver comes to deliver, I tell him to fuck off with a pitbull standing next to me after I get my parcel and he tries to demand the cash off of me, it works surprisingly well.

DaLefty
    So - unmuzzled 'dangerous' dog and using it for threatening innocent people just doing their job? And then saying you don't care about laws put in place to protect innocent people (and children).

What a nice, upstanding responsible member of the community you are.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited March 2015
    Wiz . If only there was a group of
    Vigilantes who had the neccesary skills to sort this sort of behaviour, who were also harder and more dangerous than pit bulls.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    impmann said:
    Dalefty;567004" said:
    streethawk said:
    So - unmuzzled 'dangerous' dog and using it for threatening innocent people just doing their job? And then saying you don't care about laws put in place to protect innocent people (and children).

Are you saying children aren't people? 

Is that what you're saying?!

:-O
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    edited March 2015
    I'm a dog lover and I like most breeds but I would hesitate to own a dog that could tear my throat out. Dogs aren't humans, when they turn nasty for whatever reason they can't be reasoned with (like some humans,actually).
    I know that if a dog suddenly went berserk on me, I would rather it was a Yorkshire Terrier than a dog that once it clamped its jaws round my throat would only let go if it was shot in the head.
    I was once attacked by a Pit Bull that I had known for a couple of years and during that time she had been very friendly and soppy, then one day for no apparent reason, she just turned on me. You can never rely on any dog's temperament.
    I once had a Jack Russell that was very friendly to most people apart from one of my friends. Everytime this guy showed up on the doorstep, my Jack Russell used to try to jump at the poor guy's throat. In my experience, any dog can be unpredictable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited March 2015
    Watch it pal!

There is a reason the is a species of turtle called 'the snapping turtle' and it's famous for snapping off peoples fingers.
    speshul91 said:
    it's a bit like when my old probation officer said my rhodesian ridgeback cross would be vicious, and she is,lick you to death she will.
    Gorgeous dog btw
    Mine has has a thing for ears, he's the wet willy champion if there ever was one.  I honestly think he is trying to clean out all the dirty thoughts I have.

impmann said:

I've never threatened anybody with my dog, unless you are a squeeky toy you are 100% safe around him, telling somebody to fuck of with my dog standing or sitting next to me, is not using my dog to threaten people, now telling people to fuck off before I set my dog on them is using my dog to threaten someone, I've never done that, like I said since I got out of hospital my dog will not let me out of his sight, even to go for a piss, so telling somebody who has basically tried to rob me and is trying to rob me - remember these are delivery drivers who don'y knock on my door or my works door and quietly slip the 'sorry you where not in' bullshit through the letter box so the can try and charge me up to £20.00 for a redelivery, to fuck off while my dog happens to be standing next to me is not threatening them with my dog, even the cops don't consider it threatening people with the dog as he is behaving in a non threatening manner - one or two delivery drivers have called the police trying to get money out of me, and surprisingly the cops have always sided with me and never made me pay the arseholes a penny.

And I have never been a responsible member of the community, before I was admitted to hospital, I used to carry guitars, a bong, and a bag of weed to work with me everyday.  I find the nontion of being an upstanding responsible member of the community offensive to be honest.

DaLefty

Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    @dalefty, our pups are great at that as well, and trying to eat burps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    edited March 2015
    If you're an experienced dog owner, and willing to put in a lot of work and research, Akitas are pretty damn awesome. They're also damn-near indestructible on the outside; you simply can't break an Akita.

The main problem is that Akitas have a bad reputation with the coppers, because so many people get them when they're cute and fluffy and fail to train them (or train them improperly); when they then grow up to be a 7 or 8 stone dog with all the power and agility of a wolf, they're almost impossible to handle.

The other problem is that they get into so many fights with other dogs; it's not through any fault of their own, it's just the way they're built. Their ears are constantly up and forward, their eyes are relatively small and their tail's always up - to other dogs, that's a "bring it, bitch!".
    <space for hire>
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    tFB Trader
    Both of my last two dogs were Rottweilers ... another dog that with poor training and handling can be impossible to handle. My last boy, Toddy was over 9 stone and soft as butter. Good sense has to be exercised with dogs whatever their size. I wouldn't leave any size or breed of dog alone with a small child ... let any breed off the lead where small children are playing/running about ... or indeed do any of the things likely to render my perfectly innocent dog 'dangerous'.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    So in one breath you talk about intimidating people using your big scary dog that isn't scary at all. And then it's a case of telling someone to fuck off whilst your dog happens to be sat next to you... Same thing pal.

Fwiw - I've been around dogs all my life. I agree that it's all about training - to a point - but when someone starts bragging that he's fed his dog on raw Lamb chops all it's life and it breaks collars when it sees a sheep, it says to me that the training is all to cock. Your dog is *not* under control - and as my father in law is a farmer having someone bragging that their dog worries sheep - and is an unmuzzled dangerous dog, I'd warn you that farmers have the right to shoot to kill in that circumstance. Is that the dog's fault? No.

If you do have a fully papered APB, then you would know your legal obligations, plus you would know the penalties for allowing what you claim to allow. To come out with stuff like that on a public forum shows utter contempt and crass stupidity. Frankly, I hope that someone reports you - and like it or not, these rules are there to protect the innocent. A dog is an animal - you *cannot* reason with it, despite your arguments. An APB (a real one) has gained its reputation and it's addition to the DDA through real life events - often with the owners stunned that they'd never done that before...

I'm beginning to believe that you are just trolling - but for the record, I found your postings above highly offensive, highly inflammatory and highly irresponsible on a public forum.

I'm out of this thread.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Most dogs could tear your throat out... 

Refusing to pay a charge and being an arse to the driver is a bit dickish, but dogs are only as dangerous as their owners train them to be. 
    My V key is broken
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited March 2015
    If you're an experienced dog owner, and willing to put in a
    lot of work and research, Akitas are pretty damn awesome. They're also damn-near indestructible on the outside; you simply can't break an Akita.

The main problem is that Akitas have a bad reputation with the coppers, because so many people get them when they're cute and fluffy and fail to train them (or train them improperly); when they then grow up to be a 7 or 8 stone dog with all the power and agility of a wolf, they're almost impossible to handle.

The other problem is that they get into so many fights with other dogs; it's not through any fault of their own, it's just the way they're built. Their ears are constantly up and forward, their eyes are relatively small and their tail's always up - to other dogs, that's a "bring it, bitch!".
    One of the other main attractions of pitbulls for me is the fact that they don't bark, they are very quiet dogs, sure mine grunts, groans, whines, and even purrs believe it or not, but he simply doesn't back, I think I've heard him back three times in his entire life, and that was because I was teasing him with a squeeky toy.  Not to mention the amount of grooming they need, pitbulls are short haired, don't shed and need brushed about twiice in their life - mine gets brushed two or three times a day, I have a glove thing that has brush bristles on its palm side, it's a way we bond and a way for me to show him affection.

Pitbulls also always have the problem of having their tails always erect.

Sassafras said:
    I'm a dog lover and I like most breeds but I would hesitate to own a dog that could tear my throat out. Dogs aren't humans, when they turn nasty for whatever reason they can't be reasoned with (like some humans,actually).
    I know that if a dog suddenly went berserk on me, I would rather it was a Yorkshire Terrier than a dog that once it clamped its jaws round my throat would only let go if it was shot in the head.
    I was once attacked by a Pit Bull that I had known for a couple of years and during that time she had been very friendly and soppy, then one day for no apparent reason, she just turned on me. You can never rely on any dog's temperament.
    I once had a Jack Russell that was very friendly to most people apart from one of my friends. Everytime this guy showed up on the doorstep, my Jack Russell used to try to jump at the poor guy's throat. In my experience, any dog can be unpredictable.

Don't underestimate those yorkies, I would rather take on a junkyard dog than a yorkie, I have a friend back home who has a company that trains guard and attack dogs, whenever I needed to de stress I used to put on the padded suit and get into the paddock  with the dogs, it was brilliant fun being a squeeky toy, but even he is wary of yorkies and he trains dogs to be dangerous for a living, their size lets them get away with murder, they are terriers after all bread for killing vermin.

Both of my last two dogs were Rottweilers ... another dog that with poor training and handling can be impossible to handle. My last boy, Toddy was over 9 stone and soft as butter. Good sense has to be exercised with dogs whatever their size. I wouldn't leave any size or breed of dog alone with a small child ... let any breed off the lead where small children are playing/running about ... or indeed do any of the things likely to render my perfectly innocent dog 'dangerous'.

I agree with this, but my neighbours kid thinks my dog is just the best thing since sliced bread, the kid is only five, so I don't let him near my dog without either me or his father present -  this is as much about protecting the kid from the dog as it is protecting the dog from the kid, but he rides my dog like a horse round the back garden, using his ears as reins.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    edited March 2015
    Dalefty said:
    One of the other main attractions of pitbulls for me is the fact that they don't bark, they are very quiet dogs, sure mine grunts, groans, whines, and even purrs believe it or not, but he simply doesn't back, I think I've heard him back three times in his entire life, and that was because I was teasing him with a squeeky toy.  Not to mention the amount of grooming they need, pitbulls are short haired, don't shed and need brushed about twiice in their life - mine gets brushed two or three times a day, I have a glove thing that has brush brissles on its palm, it's a way we bond and a way for me to show him affection.

Pitbulls also always have the problem of having their tails always erect.
    That's one of the reasons that Akitas need experienced, attentive owners - you actively want them to huff and bark when they're not happy, because their natural shape doesn't lend itself to communicating effectively using the normal body language tells.

The problem with that, however, is that even an Akita's "I'm not sure" huffing sounds huge, deep and - to a lot of people - aggressive. You really do have to learn the difference in their vocalisations, because there's not a massive amount of difference to the untrained ear between "I'm not sure, but I'm cool" and "EMERGENCY!!!!".
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    breadfan said:
    Dalefty said:
     ..nope, he doesn't wear a muzzle my local cops are cool with that..
    Why the hell wouldn't you put a muzzle on him when he's out? Regardless of his temperament & what the cops think is cool, it just takes an innocuous incident, like a kid pulling his tail,
    Good lesson for the kid.
    impmann said:
    I found your postings above highly offensive, highly inflammatory and highly irresponsible on a public forum.
    And for the record, I find nearly every single post you've made on this forum to be BORING AS FUCK!!
    FWIW - cats are just as, if not more than, dangerous as dogs. But they get a free pass why??

Dogs are easy-ish to domesticate. We've evolved together. Cats and humans have NOT had such a link over the thousands of years, and even though they're pets, they are NOT domesticated.

I trust dogs. I don't trust cats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    With regard to the law, though, you absolutely have to bear in mind that all it takes for the police to have justification to ask for a seizure warrant is one person saying that your dog scared them. In some cases, you don't even seem to need witnesses, just the complainant's word.

In the case of banned breeds, that really is all it takes. It doesn't matter whether the local plod are perfectly happy with your dog being out and about without a muzzle now; one concerned nearby parent saying that they caught a glimpse of your dog's teeth and they were scared is all it takes for your dog to be stuck in a police pound for 9 months without any family contact and then put down.

Regardless of whether you think other people need protecting...if that's not something you want for your dog, then protect your dog from the law by using either a muzzle or a Dogmatic head collar (much more comfortable and less restrictive).
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    What's the attraction of owning dogs that can tear your face off in one bite?
    It's like people who keep venomous spiders, scorpions and snakes. I think those kinds of people shouldn't be too surprised if they get damaged by this strange hobby.
    It does happen from time to time that the owners get bitten by whatever dangerous animal they own, just not often enough for my liking.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    What's the attraction of owning dogs that can tear your face off in one bite?
    It's like people who keep venomous spiders, scorpions and snakes. I think those kinds of people shouldn't be too surprised if they get damaged by this strange hobby.
    It does happen from time to time that the owners get bitten by whatever dangerous animal they own, just not often enough for my liking.
    Any dog can do that. Owning any dog - even small ones - is not something that comes entirely without risk. Hell, our chihuahua bit clean through my thumbnail to the bone once.

There's nothing that quite compares to a big, fluffy hug from an animal that trusts you completely and unconditionally first thing in the morning, though. It's a trade-off and even though we have two dogs who, as you say, could quite easily take out a human being should they so desire (and one who could remove a digit)...our lives are immeasurably better for having them with us.
    <space for hire>