Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Is anybody selling anything?

What's Hot

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2924
    Rite my cv tele is priced at 2 ton. Better bloody sell. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • minimoogminimoog Frets: 128
    edited October 2015
    I think the line that gets me is "I just want to get back what I paid for it"  I've seen this a few times, it would be great to apply this to everything you buy
    :)

I suppose it's a good way to try out gear for free!
    Well yes, it is. Coupled with the maxim of only buying at a price you think you can get back easily, I don't see the problem with this approach on used gear, especially if it's something you weren't able to try out first and assuming it's in the same condition you bought it in. It's like buying a classic car - go by condition not mileage. 

Obv though buying at £500, gigging it every weekend for a few years then expecting that £500 back selling it on is taking the piss, in the vast majority of cases. 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 790
    Maybe, we have enough stuff already, or even too much stuff already.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Lots of lurkers on here, how is the success with WTB adverts?  Might be a good way to go with "the way things are".  I responded to at WTB recently and sale was completed in a few days.
  • One problem with WTB and lurkers is whether you'd be happy dealing with someone with no board history.  I'd be a bit wary of someone who contacted me out of the blue after I said I was looking to spend some money.  
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3706
    GuyBoden said:
    Maybe, we have enough stuff already, or even too much stuff already.
    Wis awarded.

With the thousands and thousands of guitars being cranked out every day most are only going to get less valuable IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gadget said:

Let's say I own a 1990 Gibson Les Paul once owned by 'Fred Bloggs' from the very famous 'Bloggs Band'. It's been well used, seen the world, been used on countless albums and appeared in numerous iconic photos. To me, it's unique and priceless... but yours for £3,000 since you're asking.

I love Fred Bloggs from the Bloggs Band!

Is it the Seafoam Green Les Paul he used on the hit album "Favours For Sailors"? If so, you have a deal!
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 902

Gadget said:

Let's say I own a 1990 Gibson Les Paul once owned by 'Fred Bloggs' from the very famous 'Bloggs Band'. It's been well used, seen the world, been used on countless albums and appeared in numerous iconic photos. To me, it's unique and priceless... but yours for £3,000 since you're asking.

I love Fred Bloggs from the Bloggs Band!

Is it the Seafoam Green Les Paul he used on the hit album "Favours For Sailors"? If so, you have a deal!
    No, it's the Surf Green Strat used on "Covered in Spume". With wangbar!
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited October 2015
    minimoog said:
    I think the line that gets me is "I just want to get back what I paid for it"  I've seen this a few times, it would be great to apply this to everything you buy
    :)

I suppose it's a good way to try out gear for free!
    Well yes, it is. Coupled with the maxim of only buying at a price you think you can get back easily, I don't see the problem with this approach on used gear, especially if it's something you weren't able to try out first and assuming it's in the same condition you bought it in. It's like buying a classic car - go by condition not mileage. 

Obv though buying at £500, gigging it every weekend for a few years then expecting that £500 back selling it on is taking the piss, in the vast majority of cases. 

Umm, classic cars bit different. I have to say seeing as I don't gig anymore does that make all my 'post' gear worth what I bought it for!!!
    :P I've had an apogee duet 2 for over year and not even got round to plugging it in!
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 574
    Once people have a bunch of guitars the only way to justify further purchases is if the price is right. Unfortunately recently the right price is a bit lower than people got used to because everybody is on a budget.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Gadget said:
    1/2 to 2/3rds of new price might work fine for current or recent gear, but not for older and rarer.

Do any of us think an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster should be ours for $183? (New price was $274.50).
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16301
    Its really very simple...........If you really want/need to sell then you need to make the price attractive and there will be plenty of activity
    Other than a very select few Vintage instruments which may or not be investments these are simply secondhand items no different to lawnmowers,ironing boards ,watches,golf clubs etc ...........ie mass produced goods...........the crux of the matter is that they are our favourite toys and we find it hard to be objective and dispassionate about selling them whilst we would have less angst selling our lawnmower for instance.
    Sadly,its business of a sort and in business functions not feelings are what it boils down too............there are many and various items that can be expensive initial purchases with almost zero used value...........we should be grateful that a secondhand market even exists as compared to many items the residuals are actually pretty strong 
    No harm in having a punt in the hope that somebody desperately wants that particular guitar in a particular colour-despite the "I'M IN NO RUSH " BRAVADO.........BUT BE PREPARED TO START KNOCKING THE PRICE DOWN IF THERE IS NO ACTION !
     Even if a market is depressed what a lot of people forget is that you may need to sell cheap but conversely you will be able to buy cheap ( doesn't help those who are simply reducing a collection I know )
    ..........YOU CANT EXPECT TO WIN ON THE SWINGS AND THE ROUNDABOUTS !!
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    /\/\/\
    Exactly - stuff is cheaper to buy than ever, so we can't be disappointed when we get less selling it! I would prefer it this way round cos I can satisfy my need for immediate gratification without breaking the bank!

Brize said:
    Gadget said:
    1/2 to 2/3rds of new price might work fine for current or recent gear, but not for older and rarer.

Do any of us think an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster should be ours for $183? (New price was $274.50).
    Thanks for your contribution to the debate. Anything constructive to add, or just doing a bit of trolling?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    If you are selling your 57 strat I will take it PM me your deets
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Gadget said:
    Thanks for your contribution to the debate. Anything constructive to add, or just doing a bit of trolling?
    Constructive trolling. The two aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    That's the point about the lack of necessity in the guitar market. "I'm in no rush" is truth not bravado. A lot of people on here buy guitars with spare money and don't need (in the true sense of the word) to sell. We seem to be getting more people withdrawing the sale or putting them on ebay rather than drop the price.
  • I'd query some of the rationale involved in that though.  If you'd genuinely rather have the guitar than the lower price, it obviously makes sense to hold on to it.  But many potential sellers seem to be convinced there will be a return to buoyant market of 10 years ago.  It could happen, but I suspect it won't and they'll find themselves holding on to an asset whose value is only diminishing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Well that means I will just have to enjoy playing my collection of diminishing-value assets for longer then! :)
    Brize said:
    Gadget said:
    Constructive trolling. The two aren't mutually exclusive, contrary to popular belief.
    How is being sarcastic 'constructive'?

Have you anything to say on the subject of selling / not selling guitars on the forum? That was the original subject.