The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:

Labour's manifesto was costed and offers far more than this piece of nonsense. 

Labour's didn't add up - there was a £34 billion black hole. It's like painting a target on your forehead. Of course people will take potshots.

An economist has just done a quick total and reckons the Tories are net gain in tax revenues which could explain it ...
    ..and that's just the bit they costed. The uncosted items add up to £247bn. I didn't see an big ticket items in the Tory manifesto.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
    OK, if we're talking media bias, take the Daily Mail...no, please, take it, I don't want it...

Front page covering Ed Miliband's energy price cap policy:

Front page covering Theresa May's energy price cap policy:

Essentially, the same policy.  Media plurality legislation in this country is an absolute joke.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Essentially, the same policy. 

Do explain how.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2346
    Garthy said:I
    Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:

Labour's didn't add up - there was a £34 billion black hole. It's like painting a target on your forehead. Of course people will take potshots.

An economist has just done a quick total and reckons the Tories are net gain in tax revenues which could explain it ...
    ..and that's just the bit they costed. The uncosted items add up to £247bn. I didn't see an big ticket items in the Tory manifesto.
    Just more of the same. Cuts, austerity but in a strong and stable kind of way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    thomasw88 said:
    Garthy said:I
    Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:

Just more of the same. Cuts, austerity but in a strong and stable kind of way.
    Yes, basically.
    edited May 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.
    If you believe the Conservative's take on Miliband's cap, namely that prices couldn't fall, then you sir, are being flat-out foolish.  This is the line from the Labour 2015 manifesto, exactly as it appeared at the time...
    “Labour will freeze energy bills until 2017, ensuring that bills can fall but not rise.”

...the Conservative line on this is to only acknowledge the "freeze" bit, and completely disregard the "bills can fall but not rise" bit.  It's blatant and wilful misrepresentation of stated fact.  It is, in short, a lie.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.
    If you believe the Conservative's take on Miliband's cap, namely that prices couldn't fall, then you sir, are being flat-out foolish.  This is the line from the Labour 2015 manifesto, exactly as it appeared at the time...
    “Labour will freeze energy bills until 2017, ensuring that bills can fall but not rise.”

...the Conservative line on this is to only acknowledge the "freeze" bit, and completely disregard the "bills can fall but not rise" bit.  It's blatant and wilful misrepresentation of stated fact.  It is, in short, a lie.

Why do you have to respond like this?

I LITERALLY just wanted to know HOW they were the same policy, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW!!!

And you have to get all defensive about it!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

Drew

are your really  Boris Johnson ?

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    thomasw88 said:
    Aye  theyre getting a little flak. But compared to what a terrible manifesto it is they're getting off very easily. 

Dianne abbots car crash interview was headline news everywhere for over a day.  Hammond and gove both had terrible  interviews yesterday quoting incorrect figures and it's hardly anywhere. 

Intelligent people are allowed to make mistakes it's not news.

When thick front bench Labour MPs demonstrate a complete lack of competence it sends a clear message to the electorate about the leadership they are offering and makes for good viewing.

Labours manifesto was only about £250billion light on figures if you include the trade union nationalisation plans but hey that's the cost of 4 extra bank holidays.

Here's Diane for your viewing pleasure posted on the Guardian website so it is appropriately slanted for your rose tinted viewing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/may/02/diane-abbotts-error-filled-lbc-interview-on-police-funding-video

Drew_TNBD said:
    thomasw88 said:
    Aye  theyre getting a little flak. But compared to what a terrible manifesto it is they're getting off very easily.

Well it's been 3 hours or so since the manifesto dropped right? See how it all pans out in the coming days. But they're gonna be reamed imo. Can already see the signs. Whether anyone else see's it depends on what media they consume.
    There are a few fundamental clangers I must admit but hey just think of Abbott Corbyn and Thornbury at the helm and it's easy to vote for anyone but the Labour Party.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.

I LITERALLY just wanted to know HOW they were the same policy, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW!!!

I"M JUST ANGRY, ALRIGHT?

Seriously, dude, no offence.  This one just happens to get my back up, and the capos of this world have me on a permanent hair-trigger.

I need to go chill and read more threads about stacking delays or something.

Drew

Thicko.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    Turn your heating off pal it's summer @DarnWeight ;
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Drew_TNBD said:

Drew

Thicko.
    Michael Gove ?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    Anyone care to comment on the costings from the Conservative manifesto released today?

Nah, thought not.  There aren't any.

Also, no mention of £12bn in welfare savings (2015 manifesto pledge), not one single-word about air-quality or pollution, and (of course) still nothing on that £350m a week for the NHS.

why set yourself up for a kicking later if there's no need?
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.

I"M JUST ANGRY, ALRIGHT?

Seriously, dude, no offence.  This one just happens to get my back up, and the capos of this world have me on a permanent hair-trigger.

Fair enough.

But are you going to answer the question?
    edited May 2017

Copied from Reddit. 

From the Conservative 2017 manifesto:

We have done much in recent years to break down longstanding divisions in our country. Yet some social injustices endure [ ... ] If you are a woman, you will earn less than a man.

Extremism, especially Islamist extremism, strips some British people, especially women, of the freedoms they should enjoy ...

We will take measures to close the gender pay gap. We will require companies with more than 250 employees to publish more data on the pay gap between men and women. We shall continue to work for parity in the number of public appointments going to women, and we shall push for an increase in the number of women si ing on boards of companies.

From the Labour 2017 manifesto:

Ours will be a government for women, with a cabinet of at least 50 per cent women, which fights inequality and misogyny in every part of society.

A Labour government will gender audit all policy and legislation for its impact on women before implementation.

Violence against women and girls continues to be a global epidemic, a ecting an estimated one in three women worldwide. In the UK, on average two women are killed by their current or a former partner every week.

Labour will appoint a new commissioner to enforce minimum standards in tackling domestic and sexual violence. A Violence Against Women Commissioner would also provide stable central funding for women’s refuges and rape crisis centres and encourage sharing of best practice between local authorities.

From the Scottish National Party's 2016 manifesto:

... we recognise that if the numbers of women-led businesses increased to equal those of men that this would see a £7.6 billion boost to the economy, we will implement the 2014 ‘Women In Enterprise Action Framework’, developed in partnership with ‘Women’s Enterprise Scotland’.

The SNP Government is leading on tackling under representation of women in leadership roles with our pledge to legislate to have 50:50 gender equality in public sector boardrooms by 2020.

We will focus in particular on encouraging more girls and women to study STEM related subjects.

Working with the Scottish Prison Service and other key stakeholders, we will work to ensure an effective response to female offending. This will include enhanced access to community sentencing and support and the development of a new model for the female custodial estate, with a smaller national women’s prison and local community-based custody units. [ ... ] These units will provide accommodation as women serve out their sentence, with access to intensive support to help overcome issues such as alcohol, drugs, mental health and domestic abuse trauma which evidence shows can often be a driver of offending behaviour.

We will look at what more can be done to provide appropriate financial, legal and practical support for women victims of sexual and domestic abuse

We will put human rights and the rights of women at the heart of our international relations work.

From the Liberal Democrats manifesto 2017:

To extend diversity in public life and business, we will [ ... ] Continue the drive for diversity in business leadership, pushing for at least 40% of board members being women in FTSE 350 companies and implementing the recommendations of the Parker review to increase ethnic minority representation

[We will] Establish a Women’s Justice Board with a remit to meet the special needs of women offenders.

[We will] Prioritise support, protection and equal rights for women and girls, which is both right and essential for effective, sustainable economic development.

We will aim to end female genital mutilation worldwide within a generation.

So they all carry pretty much the same message: The gender pay gap is a result of discrimination and is need of correction; There needs to be policies in place which mandate between 40 and 50% women on the boards of companies (public and/or private ones); Women are uniquely victimised in the UK; All the parties except the Conservatives explicitly want to see women criminals given lighter sentences, community sentences or even no sentences at all.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.

I"M JUST ANGRY, ALRIGHT?

Fair enough.

Which question?
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.

I"M JUST ANGRY, ALRIGHT?

Fair enough.

Which question?
    Could you explain how they're the essentially the same policy?
    edited May 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Do explain how.

I"M JUST ANGRY, ALRIGHT?

Fair enough.

Which question?
    Could you explain how they're the essentially the same policy?
    May = cap on standard variable rate, estimated saving of up to £100 to the average customer per year
    Miliband = cap on bills to save an estimated £120 to the average household per year

The estimated savings are approximately the same.