The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    capo4th said:
    Why shouldn't parents buy books for their children's education? 
    The school my son goes to has had parental fund raising as far back as when I went there in the 1980s. 

The money doesn't go as far lately though, in 2012 an Educational Psychologist visit was £250, today it's £1000 -if you can get one, we've been waiting 18 months. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Fretwired said:
    Early stuff coming out now regarding tomorrow's Tory manifesto.  Looks like they're relying on their poll lead being big enough to take a hit from some pensioner-bashing policies...cuts to winter fuel allowance, a 100K limit on social care funding from the value of your property.  No doubt they'll be pushing the "responsible and in the national interest" angle heavily, to mitigate some of the flak this will attract.
    Sorry mate but if you own your own house, have large amount of savings and a private pension why shouldn't you pay something? Where I live there are literally thousands of wealthy pensioners in detached or semi-detached houses who are well off. Why should hard working younger people subsidise their care in old age?
    Spot. On.

(we're apart politically but on this we're in 100% agreement)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
    Anyone care to comment on the costings from the Conservative manifesto released today?

Nah, thought not.  There aren't any.

Also, no mention of £12bn in welfare savings (2015 manifesto pledge), not one single-word about air-quality or pollution, and (of course) still nothing on that £350m a week for the NHS.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2346
    Anyone care to comment on the costings from the Conservative manifesto released today?

Nah, thought not.  There aren't any.

Also, no mention of £12bn in welfare savings (2015 manifesto pledge), not one single-word about air-quality or pollution, and (of course) still nothing on that £350m a week for the NHS.

Strong and Stable 
    Strong and stable..

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    and (of course) still nothing on that £350m a week for the NHS.

Not that old chestnut .... not until after Brexit (so the next manifesto) which could be the end of the month according to Barnier and Farage.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Fretwired said:
    Early stuff coming out now regarding tomorrow's Tory manifesto.  Looks like they're relying on their poll lead being big enough to take a hit from some pensioner-bashing policies...cuts to winter fuel allowance, a 100K limit on social care funding from the value of your property.  No doubt they'll be pushing the "responsible and in the national interest" angle heavily, to mitigate some of the flak this will attract.
    Sorry mate but if you own your own house, have large amount of savings and a private pension why shouldn't you pay something? Where I live there are literally thousands of wealthy pensioners in detached or semi-detached houses who are well off. Why should hard working younger people subsidise their care in old age?
    Spot. On.

(we're apart politically but on this we're in 100% agreement)
    Why? Are you a rabid UNIK voter?

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2567
    Fretwired said:
    and (of course) still nothing on that £350m a week for the NHS.

Not that old chestnut .... not until after Brexit (so the next manifesto) which could be the end of the month according to Barnier and Farage.
    I'll take many things, but being lied to...and by a bus, no less...UNACCEPTABLE!

But seriously...Conservative Manifesto?  Numbers?  Where?

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73117
    edited May 2017
    DarnWeight said:

Shhhhh!!! No-one's supposed to notice! Or if they do, if we haven't given any numbers then we can't be criticised for them not adding up. Don't want to fall into that trap like those Labour idiots by actually giving numbers.

Strong and stable. Strong and stable. Strong and stable. Strong and stable!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    DarnWeight said:

Shhhhh!!! No-one's supposed to notice! Or if they do, if we haven't given any numbers then we can't be criticised for them not adding up. Don't want to fall into that trap like those Labour idiots by actually giving numbers.

Strong and stable. Strong and stable. Strong and stable. Strong and stable!
    You're only pissed off that Corbyn and Abbott were too thick to do the same thing ... Labour's figures don't add up. The same can't be said about the Tories ... genius.

And I'm not voting Tory. My big gripe is how useless the opposition is in the UK. Actually there isn't an opposition ... even Tim Farron's party has turned on him ...

• SporkySporky Frets: 29203
    Today I got a letter from May, telling me that I'm too stoopid to vote for who I want, and I should vote conservative because anything else is stoopid.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

You're only pissed off that Corbyn and Abbott were too thick to do the same thing ...
    No - they can't win. If they'd given no numbers they would have been ripped apart for their proposals not being costed. The Tories will on the other hand probably get a free pass, because that's what the media want to do. No numbers, no criticism.

The level of bias on the BBC is absolutely disgraceful - I actually turned it off recently because it was so blatant, which is something I don't normally do since I believe in hearing the arguments even when I don't agree with them. But when they have Tory commentators who blithely misrepresent Labour policy with absolutely no objection from the presenter then something is seriously wrong.

If I'm proved wrong and the media tear into the Tories for not having costed their programme I'll be astonished.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

You're only pissed off that Corbyn and Abbott were too thick to do the same thing ...
    No - they can't win. If they'd given no numbers they would have been ripped apart for their proposals not being costed.
    What, you mean like what is happening right now with the Conservatives?
    Drew_TNBD said:

I don't mean here, I mean somewhere it matters :).

If you have a link to a mainstream media report which does, please share! ;).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The BBC are always biased against the opposition because they are the state broadcaster and their role is to protect the status quo.

Under the Blair government the Tories complained bitterly that the BBC had left-wing bias.

Now it's the other way round.

Also BBC are terrified of the Tories, they know that any upsets will see them lose the license fee, broken up and sold off during the next Parliament.
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

No - they can't win. If they'd given no numbers they would have been ripped apart for their proposals not being costed. The Tories will on the other hand probably get a free pass, because that's what the media want to do. No numbers, no criticism.

The level of bias on the BBC is absolutely disgraceful - I actually turned it off recently because it was so blatant, which is something I don't normally do since I believe in hearing the arguments even when I don't agree with them. But when they have Tory commentators who blithely misrepresent Labour policy with absolutely no objection from the presenter then something is seriously wrong.

If I'm proved wrong and the media tear into the Tories for not having costed their programme I'll be astonished.
    Suggest you tune in .... loads of moaning pensioners and criticism for the Tories. Labour up in the polls and the Tories down. May could yet throw it all away.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

I don't mean here, I mean somewhere it matters :).

If you have a link to a mainstream media report which does, please share! ;).
    There's already a whole bunch of it going on in the live updates here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/may/18/general-election-2017-theresa-may-conservative-manifesto-social-care-politics-live?page=with:block-591dc6fde4b0ca009308db13#block-591dc6fde4b0ca009308db13

Face it. The Conservatives are going to be absolutely shredded in the media for their manifesto. If it isn't "the numbers don't add up" it'll be "it's going to ruin peoples lives and cause mayhem and murder" etc.. etc..

How you can suggest that they wont receive any criticism is quite baffling to be honest. All the parties get criticised pretty evenly from what I can see. The difference is, Theresa May doesn't do obviously stupid things that are low hanging fruit for the clickbait outrage-machine based media that we currently have to put up with.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Aye  theyre getting a little flak. But compared to what a terrible manifesto it is they're getting off very easily. 

Labour's manifesto was costed and offers far more than this piece of nonsense. 

Dianne abbots car crash interview was headline news everywhere for over a day.  Hammond and gove both had terrible  interviews yesterday quoting incorrect figures and it's hardly anywhere. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    thomasw88 said:
    Aye  theyre getting a little flak. But compared to what a terrible manifesto it is they're getting off very easily.

Well it's been 3 hours or so since the manifesto dropped right? See how it all pans out in the coming days. But they're gonna be reamed imo. Can already see the signs. Whether anyone else see's it depends on what media they consume.
    edited May 2017
    thomasw88 said:

Labour's manifesto was costed and offers far more than this piece of nonsense. 

Labour's didn't add up - there was a £34 billion black hole. It's like painting a target on your forehead. Of course people will take potshots.

An economist has just done a quick total and reckons the Tories are net gain in tax revenues which could explain it ...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No leveson part 2 enquiry..  I reckon the headlines will be far more  sympathetic than they should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom