The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    edited May 2017
    capo4th said:

thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn is an absolute weapon his policies are wild and reckless he is telling the electorate what they want to hear but it will never ever be implemented. I am staggered that reputable journalists are even prepared to listen to the shite that spews from his mouth on a daily basis.

Does he not remember what happened last time when Labour wasted all the money on silly projects and pipe dreams....

whats next free petrol for the under 25s? 

and he's off again.   strong and stable strong and stable.

Thomas now that the manifesto is published please enlighten us with your thoughts as to how this Labour plan is not headed for complete meltdown. They have still not announced half the numbers so £50 billion could easily turn into £100billion plus whatever he decides to spend on his new train set postal service and utilities companies and somehow I don't think they will come cheap but hey Jeremy and Diane know best.

What do you think Thomas ? 

Thoughts on free school meals ? 

Any thoughts on free childcare? 

Any thoughts on free reed university tuition?

Thoughts on buying the railways for Jeremys union friends? 

Thoughts on buying back Royal Mail for Jeremy's union friends? 

Thoughts on Jeremy supporting terrorists and not UK defence?

Any thoughts on the the economic prospects for U.K. business and investment ? 

Lets hear it Thomas 
    Have you read the costing document?

to answer your questions (you sure you  don't read the daily mail??)

Free school meals - yep all for it

free childcare - yep all for it  -  gets people able to work, creates jobs.

free universtiy tuition -  undecided.

They're not buying back the railways - so you're wrong. But yes should be in  public ownership or at least be partly run by the govt. privatistion has not worked  as our railways are shit and expensive.  

Royal mail see above.  We used to make a  profit from the Royal Mail.  

Don't believe Jeremy supports terroists as you put it.    He may or may not have made mistakes but his premise is that you need to engage in dialog.  How exactly did the Irish troubles stop?  he supported mandela,  The tories didn't.

I see no need for us to have trident. so i disagree with the view put in the manifesto with renewing it.

Economic prospects for the UK -  if we don't invest in the infrastructure of this country, and  improving education of our children, and keeping people healthy then the prospects are going to better.   We can't compete on price for our goods/services, so we can only compete on quality.  That needs a well educated/healthy work force??

Brexit means there is going to be mahoosive changes in this country.   It really needs a bit of a radical rethink in  how this country works.   you know what you're going to get with the tories - public service cuts, privatisation, and maybe a small tax cut..   thats not going to work in my opinion.

your turn 

explain foodbanks increase?

explain why the tories have failed to meet every single financial target they have set?

explain why the debt in the last 7 years has doubled?

Explain why one of the richest countries in the world has seen one of the worst stagnation of wages in the world?

Explain why the current government are desperate to  increase arm sales to Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is purported to be one of the main backers of ISIS. Explain how that is good for UK security?
     Saudi arabia and other UK supplied countries have appalling human rights records .  Is that something that you think it is a good idea for us to sell them weapons with the caveat that they give a pinky promise not to use them on their own people.

Explain why the NHS is now overburdened.  What has the estimated £3 billion reorganisation of the NHS actually achieved in making it more efficent? 

Explain why the DWP refuses to provide  figures on the numbers of deaths that have been linked to the sanctions they are imposing on people.

Explain exactly how by removing legal aid, union membership will help workers seek redress for poor management.

Explain what happened to the northern powerhouse?

Explain why is poverty rising in this country?

Explain what benefits there will be to the UK to the Hinckley point deal.  A deal that guarantees to pay a price to EDF for 30 odd years that is double the current wholesale price.

Explain why Theresa May is a good leader.  was she a good home secretary, and if so why?

Explain exactly why the business rates increases recently announced is good for business? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12108
    thomasw88 said:

the Tories have been in power for 7 years..  if there is software that went out of support in 2014, then it is not the fault of the party who hadn't been in power for 4 years.

how long do you imagine IT rollouts take in large organisations? It's not months, btw.
    I know large commercial organisations that have still not replaced all their old XP machines, it takes funding, planning and repackaging all the software, then years to deploy.

It's not ideal to pay for extended support - but sometimes expedient.

I suspect the reason the NHS has had such issues is that their general IT governance is not very good, not because of a few XP boxes knocking around
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thomasw88 said:

the Tories have been in power for 7 years..  if there is software that went out of support in 2014, then it is not the fault of the party who hadn't been in power for 4 years.

how long do you imagine IT rollouts take in large organisations? It's not months, btw.
    I know large commercial organisations that have still not replaced all their old XP machines, it takes funding, planning and repackaging all the software, then years to deploy.

It's not ideal to pay for extended support - but sometimes expedient.

I suspect the reason the NHS has had such issues is that their general IT governance is not very good, not because of a few XP boxes knocking around
    I have a fairly good idea about how long it takes to do IT roll outs actually..

don't disagree that its at least partly the fault of the IT depts in trusts.. 
    But
    I thought that the NHS had asked for additional funding to continue microsoft xp support which was turned down.
    with private companies the responsibility is ultimately the boss so why are no heads rolling? where was Jeremy Hunt for the first 36 hours or so??
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    thomasw88 said:

Late benefit payments, although local government and agencies such as the police have worked out that they can save money and use food banks as an extension of the benefits system. This is driving their use since local authorities are now responsible for hardship payments.

One food bank has closed in protest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/busy-nottingham-food-bank-to-close-in-protest-at-harsh-council-cuts-9885641.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    thomasw88 said:

I thought that the NHS had asked for additional funding to continue microsoft xp support which was turned down.
    with private companies the responsibility is ultimately the boss so why are no heads rolling? where was Jeremy Hunt for the first 36 hours or so??
    No. They got the addtional funding for a year. At the end of the first year they were told they were not going to renew for the following year. By my count they had THREE years to solve this. It's firmly with NHS management and Microsoft who had a fix already but sat on it until the last moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    thomasw88 said:

I've read Microsoft refused  .. they'd offered licences for Virtualisation. With virtualization, you can run a whole Windows XP desktop inside a window on your Windows 7, 8 or 10. Any Windows XP software you have should run in the virtual machine, and because the virtual computer can’t make changes to your real computer’s hard drive, you won’t have to worry about end-of-support security issues.

Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:

Late benefit payments, although local government and agencies such as the police have worked out that they can save money and use food banks as an extension of the benefits system. This is driving their use since local authorities are now responsible for hardship payments.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/busy-nottingham-food-bank-to-close-in-protest-at-harsh-council-cuts-9885641.html

that link is 2.5 years old..

but even so, that's pointing to austerity causing the issue.
    thomasw88 said:
    Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:

Not austerity. The Tories simply cut benefits and pushed the onus for hardship payments onto local authorities who were already used to using local charities and churches for housing and now they have food banks. It's a national disgrace. I'm not defending the Tories, merely saying food banks are here to stay and their use will continue to rise. Too good an opportunity for a government to miss.

In London a charity has been building modular living spaces in factories and installing them on brownfield sites. They can be put up in a day and offer a fully furnished short-term solution to homelessness for single people or families while a permanent home is found.

An innovative solution for temporary accommodation that saves money. We need more blue sky thinking to combat poverty and homelessness.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:
    Fretwired said:
    thomasw88 said:

Not austerity. The Tories simply cut benefits and pushed the onus for hardship payments onto local authorities who were already used to using local charities and churches for housing and now they have food banks. It's a national disgrace. I'm not defending the Tories, merely saying food banks are here to stay and their use will continue to rise. Too good an opportunity for a government to miss.

In London a charity has been building modular living spaces in factories and installing them on brownfield sites. They can be put up in a day and offer a fully furnished short-term solution to homelessness for single people or families while a permanent home is found.

An innovative solution for temporary accommodation that saves money. We need more blue sky thinking to combat poverty and homelessness.

Don't doubt you've got a point in that about requiring blue sky thinking but cutting benefits was done in the name of austerity.

Dwp sanctions have undoubtedly caused a vast increase in people being referred to food banks tho.
    thomasw88 said:

Don't doubt you've got a point in that about requiring blue sky thinking but cutting benefits was done in the name of austerity.

Dwp sanctions have undoubtedly caused a vast increase in people being referred to food banks tho.
    Benefits were cut for ideological reasons - the Tories wanted 'to make work pay' .. that was a Tory slogan. They had to make living on benefits hard and working pay. I guarantee that had the UK had a German style surplus benefits would have been cut. The sun rises, the sun sets. The Tories cut taxes and the Tories cut benefits. It's in their DNA.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Evilmags said:
    HArdly matters given the margin the Conservatives are going to win by. Corbyn is a nasty snivelling worm who has made a career out of apologising for various terrorist, murderers and anti semetic causes. He is an utter embarassment to UK politics and the sooner him, his revolting chanecellor and the vile and pig shit thick Abbot are as far away from power as possible. The general public seem pretty fed up of being told what to think by a bunch of virtue signalling prigs and wankers who think everyone who disagrees with them is evil. LAbour are so far from power even Micheal Foot would be ashamed 

And hopefully they'll remain in their positions for a very long time ensuring that the labour party never gets the chance to bollocks everything thing up as they have always done previously.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The NHS A&E crisis ...... claims to have been created by an NHS TRust in South Devon to educate people.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Fretwired said:
    The NHS A&E crisis ...... claims to have been created by an NHS TRust in South Devon to educate people.

Very accurate that. Where I live in south London the services are good there is a minor injuries unit half a mile from my house and a doctors surgery three streets away always can get an appoitnemt same day or next day if you are flexible on times.

People use A&E like a drop in centre or its full of drunks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    With regards to food banks I think they are a good thing.

if you are really hungry go and grab something to eat. A good concept is the community fridges that are springing up around London you can help your self to an apple or some vegetables and they use up a lot of the waste food. Businesses and people donate the food so it gets used rather than wasted.

We waste tonnes of food every day in the UK it shouldn't be that difficult to divert food resources to where they are required. Don't we have a minister for Food? 

If I knew where my local food bank was I would certainly go and check it out and see what was on offer. People are always welcome round my house for a brew and a sandwich. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    capo4th said:

if you are really hungry go and grab something to eat. A good concept is the community fridges that are springing up around London you can help your self to an apple or some vegetables and they use up a lot of the waste food. Businesses and people donate the food so it gets used rather than wasted.

We waste tonnes of food every day in the UK it shouldn't be that difficult to divert food resources to where they are required. Don't we have a minister for Food? 

If I knew where my local food bank was I would certainly go and check it out and see what was on offer. People are always welcome round my house for a brew and a sandwich. 
    Yeah because there's no stigma or shame in it
    My V key is broken
  • @capo4th what do you think a food bank is? 

I'll give you a clue. It's not popping in for a sandwich and a cup of tea. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

That's your best yet.. hilarious
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

Er.... are you taking the piss??
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    capo4th said:

Er.... are you taking the piss??
    I sincerely hope it's some kind of ill-judged joke, and Capo doesn't actually think a foodbank is some kind of free cafe that you can pop into when you've got bored of your usual Greggs ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I want a Greggs now :(