The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73086
    Snap said:

Why would anyone want someone like this as PM? 
    Come to think of it, why would anyone have wanted the convicted terrorist Nelson Mandela as President of South Africa?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited May 2017
    ICBM said:
    Snap said:

Come to think of it, why would anyone have wanted the convicted terrorist Nelson Mandela as President of South Africa?
    That's easy .. the black majority. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The white supremacist government convicted him. The black majority and the world at large saw him as a freedom fighter who broke the system that was against them and when he was released voted for him.

Corbyn appeals to people in a similar way - if you're a poor immigrant, homeless or living on a low wage he'll be the guy for you. If you want an end to corporate greed and a well funded NHS he's the guy for you.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    dhj said:
    I  consider myself fairly apolitical,  and hadn't made my mind up how to vote. However, over the last few weeks I have unfriended a number of 'friends' who have consistently shared outrageous anti-tory bile and hatred. Ranging from the implications that if you vote tory you are condoning baby killing and/or paedophilia, 'all torys are cunts' and other really articulate and meaningful comments and also videos of people spitting at tory voters. What the hell is going on? I have to say that just on the basis of this I won't be voting Labour. Paraphrasing Groucho, I wouldn't want to be associated with a party of racist, libellous, ignorant and vindictive louts. Given the extremes being snarled and spat before a vote is cast I can only imagine how their bile, anger and hatred may be directed if they actually get into power. Almost speechless.
    Just as were are going to press I notice that a reporter is booed by the crowd at the launch of the Labour manifesto when he asked a question regarding immigration. - WTF is the matter with these people, what happened to rational debate?

Unfortunately the PM doesn't do debate.

If you want to read bile and hatred hop over to the daily mail and read the comments on there.     That's the most popular news site in the country.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22600
    Evilmags said:
    The general public seem pretty fed up of being told what to think by a bunch of virtue signalling prigs and wankers who think everyone who disagrees with them is evil. 

I do have to chuckle at that. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thomasw88 said:

She does but she'd be mad to go TV with a bunch of no hoper's like the Greens and Lib Dems. I think she might take on Corbyn as the pressure is building and I think her team were waiting to read the Labour manifesto before a final decision is taken.

If there is a debate it should be between Corbyn and May.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think JC being up for a debate while May is avoiding it is only damaging her.
    My V key is broken
  • dhjdhj Frets: 21
    edited May 2017
    thomasw88 said:
    dhj said:
    I  consider myself fairly apolitical,  and hadn't made my mind up how to vote. However, over the last few weeks I have unfriended a number of 'friends' who have consistently shared outrageous anti-tory bile and hatred. Ranging from the implications that if you vote tory you are condoning baby killing and/or paedophilia, 'all torys are cunts' and other really articulate and meaningful comments and also videos of people spitting at tory voters. What the hell is going on? I have to say that just on the basis of this I won't be voting Labour. Paraphrasing Groucho, I wouldn't want to be associated with a party of racist, libellous, ignorant and vindictive louts. Given the extremes being snarled and spat before a vote is cast I can only imagine how their bile, anger and hatred may be directed if they actually get into power. Almost speechless.
    Just as were are going to press I notice that a reporter is booed by the crowd at the launch of the Labour manifesto when he asked a question regarding immigration. - WTF is the matter with these people, what happened to rational debate?

If you want to read bile and hatred hop over to the daily mail and read the comments on there.     That's the most popular news site in the country.
    I was under the impression that Corbyn didn't either. Is it not the case that because May won't then Corbyn refuses to debate with the other parties?  One could argue that if he was that desperate for a debate the opportunity is there. The public are quite capable of making up there own mind as to the judgement of May refusing to debate.
    As to the Daily Mail, just popped over to have a look and there are a lot of 'anti' comments as you would expect. Can't see any comments suggesting that Labour voters are 'cunts' or should be viewed as 'baby killers or paedophiles' or suggesting that the only good Labour voter is a dead labour voter though.

Just as we go to press somebody else (who I have now unfriended ) has sent me another something or other personally blaming Theresa May for the NHS malware.  Didn't  Labour spend nearly 14 billion on a failed IT system for the NHS which I suspect would have upgraded the kit sufficiently to perhaps fend off this malware attack?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    holnrew said:
    I think JC being up for a debate while May is avoiding it is only damaging her.
    I was under the impression she'd do a head to head with Corbyn, but not prepared to be involved in a circus with Sturgeon, Farron, Nuttal, Wood and Lucus.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6272
    ICBM said:
    Snap said:

So, you are comparing Jezza to Nelson Mandela?

Right....as you were.....
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited May 2017
    ICBM said:
    Snap said:

David Cameron certainly didn't. He wanted him hung.

Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    ICBM said:
    Snap said:

If the stereotype is true, he probably was...
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

According to Marx it is what it means - working class was anyone who depended on wages solely for their income and included everything from manual labour to white collar knowledge-based jobs. These days the definition is blurred in the UK. A plumber might have been seen as working class 50 years ago but these days a self-employed plumber probably has a good income, a mortgage, disposable income for gadgets and holidays and sees himself as part of the middle class as he is skilled.

I have just had my roof replaced - the guy that did it works with his brother and they have a small roofing firm. He left school at 16 and learned his trade on the job - if you spoke to him most people would say he is working class. He however sees himself as middle class and he votes Tory. He has a nice detached house, his wife is a manager in a care home, he has two kids at a decent school, drives a Jag, has a classic Porsche for the summer and takes the family overseas on holiday.

He grew up in a council house so as he now owns his own house he sees himself as middle class and identifies more with Tory values than those of Labour. Thatcher managed to catch the blue collar vote back in the 70s with people who didn't identify with the term working class.
    Your roofing friend is right - he's middle class. If you own property - including your house, even mortgaged - you're no longer working class regardless of your family origins. That's the key reason Thatcher (or rather the ideologues who formulated her strategy) encouraged home ownership, to permanently break down working-class solidarity. Property ownership - especially of your own home - means you have too much to lose, as well as more individualistic aspirations.

(I'm middle class by the way - by family as well as home ownership.)
    I don't really agree with that to be honest. Having a mortgage doesn't automatically elevate you into the middle classes, especially when 85% of your wage goes on said mortgage.

I actually think someone else kinda came close to it... but to me, the only differences between 'middle class' and 'working class' are purely cultural. The middle classes tend to look down on the working classes because of how they live their lives. The middle classes are basically snooty neighbours who make constant value judgements on their fellows.
    Surely the difference is where you keep your white goods?

In the house = middle class
    in the driveway/street = working class
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    dhj said:
    thomasw88 said:
    dhj said:

I was under the impression that Corbyn didn't either. Is it not the case that because May won't then Corbyn refuses to debate with the other parties?  One could argue that if he was that desperate for a debate the opportunity is there. The public are quite capable of making up there own mind as to the judgement of May refusing to debate.
    As to the Daily Mail, just popped over to have a look and there are a lot of 'anti' comments as you would expect. Can't see any comments suggesting that Labour voters are 'cunts' or should be viewed as 'baby killers or paedophiles' or suggesting that the only good Labour voter is a dead labour voter though.

Just as we go to press somebody else (who I have now unfriended ) has sent me another something or other personally blaming Theresa May for the NHS malware.  Didn't  Labour spend nearly 14 billion on a failed IT system for the NHS which I suspect would have upgraded the kit sufficiently to perhaps fend off this malware attack?
     the Tories have been in power for 7 years..  if there is software that went out of support in 2014, then it is not the fault of the party who hadn't been in power for 4 years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Snap said:

Evilmags said:
    Image result for Corbyn IRA memes

The UK public will not vote for that...
    What a twat. Worse. I hadn't seen that one. That reveals many things, not least his woefully poor sense of judgement. Yes, its maybe 30 years ago, but is very revealing of this fella's persona. To take that stance, at that time, knowing how deeply offensive it is, blatanly sympathising with terrorism. Regardless of your opinion on British occupation of Ireland, and a united vs two piece Ireland, you would show better judgment, especially as an MP.

Like I said the man is a fuckin dangerous weapon.

Jeremy "We will spend an additional £50 billion without jeopardising the financial security of the U.K."

What fuckin planet is he living on ? He has no idea what he is getting himself into and ruining the long term business prospects for the UK
    edited May 2017

thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    Corbyn is an absolute weapon his policies are wild and reckless he is telling the electorate what they want to hear but it will never ever be implemented. I am staggered that reputable journalists are even prepared to listen to the shite that spews from his mouth on a daily basis.

Does he not remember what happened last time when Labour wasted all the money on silly projects and pipe dreams....

whats next free petrol for the under 25s? 

and he's off again.   strong and stable strong and stable.

Thomas now that the manifesto is published please enlighten us with your thoughts as to how this Labour plan is not headed for complete meltdown. They have still not announced half the numbers so £50 billion could easily turn into £100billion plus whatever he decides to spend on his new train set postal service and utilities companies and somehow I don't think they will come cheap but hey Jeremy and Diane know best.

What do you think Thomas ? 

Thoughts on free school meals ? 

Any thoughts on free childcare? 

Any thoughts on free university tuition?

Thoughts on buying the railways for Jeremys union friends? 

Thoughts on buying back Royal Mail for Jeremy's union friends? 

Thoughts on Jeremy supporting terrorists and not UK defence?

Any thoughts on the the economic prospects for U.K. business and investment ? 

Lets hear it Thomas 
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    @ICBM said:
    Snap said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/hung-or-hanged

Pedantic I know, but...

• dhjdhj Frets: 21
    thomasw88 said:
    dhj said:
    thomasw88 said:
    dhj said:

the Tories have been in power for 7 years..  if there is software that went out of support in 2014, then it is not the fault of the party who hadn't been in power for 4 years.

I wasn't laying any blame on anybody, just pointing out that it is very easy to throw accusations around without knowledge of the facts. Windows XP was last updated I believe in 2008 and the IT world would have been be fully aware that it would go out of maintenance within a few years.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The NHS malware thing is not on the Tories. It's on the NHS for not responding to Microsoft warnings YEARS BEFORE THE INCIDENT TOOK PLACE!
    Man on TV raising a question to the PM "I have five kids and am struggling with the cost of living and inflation? "

STOP THE PRESS USE A CONDOM AND STOP HAVING CHILDREN YOU FUCKTARD 

What is it with these people and their their sense of entitlement. I would love more children fact of the matter is we can't afford them as they are expensive.

No problem people Jeremy Labour is giving free childcare to everyone !!!!!!!!  

If you can't care for your kids don't have them simple fix but don't fuckin moan about it
    Drew_TNBD said:
    The NHS malware thing is not on the Tories. It's on the NHS for not responding to Microsoft warnings YEARS BEFORE THE INCIDENT TOOK PLACE!
    It's worse than that - the government extended support for one year to give Trusts breathing space to fix the problem. Microsoft even offered fee licences. Lots of Trusts upgraded so it shows it could be done ... why aren't there calls to cull the senior managers at the ones that didn't for gross incompetence and a lack of judgement? I've not heard any moaning that they didn't have the cash as there's a multi-billion fund for public sector organisations to access to fund IT.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom