The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22569
    Evilmags said:
    They won't gain much on a anti-Brexit platform. Until the manifestos get out there, they're pretty much dominated by two issues so far: Brexit and Farron's religion. 

The Telegraph poll at the bottom of that link is more interesting. At present, it has 6780 votes with the questions being on what the main focus of the Brexit negotiations should be. Immigration comes top with 38% with 28% in second saying that staying in the single market should be the main concern. trying to satisfy those folk is going to be some trick. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    siremoon said:
    siremoon said:
    In other words "party A agrees to support party B to get mandate to do what it said was going to do anyway". 
    My point is more about the hypocrisy inherent in accusing your opposition of exactly the same shenanigans you're engaged in yourself.
    But it's not exactly the same.  Lib Dems and Greens are standing down for each other in selected seats (Greens in SW London, Lib Dems in Skipton and Rippon for example) whereas I don't see any Tories standing down for UKIP. 
    That's a pretty specious argument...you say potato, I say King Edward.

Lib Dems and Greens are standing down for each other because they oppose Brexit.
    UKIP are standing down for Tories because they support Brexit.

One leads to chaos, the other to stability?  Do me a favour.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

True - remaining in the EU would further damage the UK. Glad UKIP have seen sense and are effectively winding the party up. We can't have the country being run by a wet, wimpy, bible bashing hippy with all the charisma of a halibut in league with some tree huggers.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2344
    Fretwired said:

True - remaining in the EU would further damage the UK. Glad UKIP have seen sense and are effectively winding the party up. We can't have the country being run by a wet, wimpy, bible bashing hippy with all the charisma of a halibut in league with some tree huggers.
    it would be much better to have a leader who describes herself as strong and stable,

and who talks abut the serious issues, like fox hunting rather than unimportant issues like foodbanks, wage crises, NHS crises, declining education,  failed privatision policies, and refuses to announce any coherent  future policies  - mainly so she can't be held to account for them later on?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    thomasw88 said:
    Fretwired said:

it would be much better to have a leader who describes herself as strong and stable,

and who talks abut the serious issues, like fox hunting rather than unimportant issues like foodbanks, wage crises, NHS crises, declining education,  failed privatision policies, and refuses to announce any coherent  future policies  - mainly so she can't be held to account for them later on?

May's just been on Facebook answering questions for ITV. She did far better than I though she would. She even had a question from one Jeremy Corbyn of London .... I wonder if she'll reciprocate when its his turn.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22569
    Fretwired said:

Instead we'll get a grumpy old bible basher who also likes halibut. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Fretwired said:

The LibDems are so weak that Clegg is still, and by a mile, their most competent MP. (And he only kept his seat because cameron ordered no cash spent in Sheffield). Farron is the sort of guy who enters a room and makes people feel like somebody just left. 

Whenever anyone goes for the "evil Tory" crap just ask "what the fuck have you ever done for anyone with your own money or time". Very easy to be virtueous without having to pay for everything. 

The Uni fees are a typical red herring. If university is soley to prepare elite professions (LAw, Medicine, finance, business, uperend civil service) then society can affoard to pay for it as it is marginal. If you try and put 50% of the population through academia, then it is unaffoardable without risking the universities research. I´ve had a few trainees from places like Oxford Brookes. (Largely due to parental ownership of clients) They were utterly intellectually unfit to work in capital markets. They cost us a lot of money to get rid of of as well. Public money provideing uselessness is hardly productive. The UK needs a scholarsjip programme for Russel Group uni´s and courses with high employment rates. Blanket funding produces a whole lot of shite. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    Good old Corbyn and Labour another devisive soundbite policy. 

Does Jeremy not realise how much the city contributes to U.K. GDP and HMRC receipts the man is a first class idiot oh no he would rather nationalise the railways for his union mates.

Dude read the fecking manifesto rather than continually spouting absolute bollocks
    Hey dude listen to me, the Labour manifesto is the biggest load of nonsense ever created for an election by a political party.

Fantasy rainbow tinted pipe dreams and policies created for the unions.

Please enlighten me as to which part of my quote above you take offence to as it all looks rather factual to me.

The Labour Party is a shambles and its leader is a bearded fool with a prune for a brain.

Soundbites telling voters and hardworking people what they want to hear to try and win a vote without a hope in hell of achieving anything whatsoever written in their manifesto. 

Labour will suffer another humiliating defeat in the election and hopefully we will see Corbyn and Diane Abbott disappear into a dark hole where they can play rudies and do long multipcation together.

Make some good decisions to improve your life but don't rely on the Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn.

Soundbites like 'Strong and stable'  - how many u turns have the tories done in recent years?  or soundbites like
    'brexit means brexit' -  which means what exactly?   The tories are by far  the worst witth regards to meangingless soundbites and just because they don't get scrutinised by the MSM doesn't mean that you should just swallow the utter crap they are spouting.

As for fantasty rainbow tinted pipe dreams -  How many of the Tories financial self imposed targets have they actually hit since 2010?  A big clue its rhymes with fugger hall..

Do you actually believe May's latest nonsensical promise to restrict net immigration to the 10's of thousands? 

My point to you is that you continually  slate labour without actually making references to what they're actually saying. 

The Labour manifesto has no economic credibility whatsoever. Financial meltdown.

The blue party have been cleaning up the complete finiancial mess overseen by the Labour Party for the last seven years. Huge spending by Labour without any thought of paying for it ploughing on regardless and it all went bang!

Lobour are saying quite clearly in their manifesto we will look after all our friends in the unions and nationalise the big work forces around the UK to protect their big wages and gold plated pensions.

Great idea Jeremy further protect the most protected workers in the country because they pay your wages and fund 99% of your party.

Trust me they will do nothing for the NHS except waste more money on more overpaid managers. 

Labour will also also set out to raise taxes on business and add tariffs to the city which creates the majority of wealth for the country.

Clueless Corbyn the man has no idea except to blame big business. 

Dave and Doris with two kids on £50k a year will get no help from Labour whatsoever.

Reduce spending on defence when world war 3 could erupt anytime good idea Jeremy.

Labour will help people claim more benefits and give out more free housing putting further burden on the taxpayer.

The rich people in London with their huge mortgages can have a tax increase.

Scrap tuition fees and £10 an hour minimum wage = Unachievable soundbites to win votes

£10 minimum wage will increase unemployment and put more people back on benefits

Jeremy will give everyone four more bank holidays costing business millions but good news for the layabouts.

No plans for business or industry and generating skills for young people unless it's controlled by the unite union. 

Labour also seem to have an unlimited pot of cash under Diane Abbotts huge bed to fund all of this crazy manifesto.

Please enlighten me if they are about to offer anything different as I may have missed it. I will also be happy to buy Diane Abbott a new Casio calculator so she can work it all out accurately to see how many £billion underfunded the plans are.

Labour are a big shower of shit and god help us if they get elected.

I might add Brexit does mean Brexit it means we are Brexiting the EU if you had not figured that out. Jeremy Corbyn is the last man on Earth you would want negotiating the Brexit deals as he is a complete fuckwit. Have you seen the lunatics that surround him at his rallies absolute comedy maybe you were there? 

Lunch over !

You should change your username to "Paul Dacre is awesome" I asked for some answers to my questions and you replied with a load of garbage straight from Tory HQ.
    Mmmm interesting 

You asked me to read and listen to the Labour manifesto which I accurately summarised above as most intelligent people have heard it all before from Labour !

Clobber the rich destroy business help the poor save the NHS support the unions does that ring any bells for you? 

I have never been to Tory HQ and had to google "Paul Dacre" 

Typical Labour supporter stutters and fails like Diane Abbott when questions are asked.
    Please stick with your soundbite save the NHS rainbow policies that no one in the Labour Party has any idea how to fund.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Does Jeremy not realise how much the city contributes to U.K. GDP and HMRC receipts the man is a first class idiot oh no he would rather nationalise the railways for his union mates.

Dude read the fecking manifesto rather than continually spouting absolute bollocks
    Hey dude listen to me, the Labour manifesto is the biggest load of nonsense ever created for an election by a political party.

Please enlighten me as to which part of my quote above you take offence to as it all looks rather factual to me.

The Labour Party is a shambles and its leader is a bearded fool with a prune for a brain.

Soundbites telling voters and hardworking people what they want to hear to try and win a vote without a hope in hell of achieving anything whatsoever written in their manifesto. 

Labour will suffer another humiliating defeat in the election and hopefully we will see Corbyn and Diane Abbott disappear into a dark hole where they can play rudies and do long multipcation together.

Make some good decisions to improve your life but don't rely on the Labour Party and Jeremy Corbyn.

Soundbites like 'Strong and stable'  - how many u turns have the tories done in recent years?  or soundbites like
    'brexit means brexit' -  which means what exactly?   The tories are by far  the worst witth regards to meangingless soundbites and just because they don't get scrutinised by the MSM doesn't mean that you should just swallow the utter crap they are spouting.

As for fantasty rainbow tinted pipe dreams -  How many of the Tories financial self imposed targets have they actually hit since 2010?  A big clue its rhymes with fugger hall..

Do you actually believe May's latest nonsensical promise to restrict net immigration to the 10's of thousands? 

My point to you is that you continually  slate labour without actually making references to what they're actually saying. 

The Labour manifesto has no economic credibility whatsoever. Financial meltdown.

The blue party have been cleaning up the complete finiancial mess overseen by the Labour Party for the last seven years. Huge spending by Labour without any thought of paying for it ploughing on regardless and it all went bang!

Lobour are saying quite clearly in their manifesto we will look after all our friends in the unions and nationalise the big work forces around the UK to protect their big wages and gold plated pensions.

Great idea Jeremy further protect the most protected workers in the country because they pay your wages and fund 99% of your party.

Trust me they will do nothing for the NHS except waste more money on more overpaid managers. 

Labour will also also set out to raise taxes on business and add tariffs to the city which creates the majority of wealth for the country.

Dave and Doris with two kids on £50k a year will get no help from Labour whatsoever.

Reduce spending on defence when world war 3 could erupt anytime good idea Jeremy.

Labour will help people claim more benefits and give out more free housing putting further burden on the taxpayer.

Scrap tuition fees and £10 an hour minimum wage = Unachievable soundbites to win votes

£10 minimum wage will increase unemployment and put more people back on benefits

Jeremy will give everyone four more bank holidays costing business millions but good news for the layabouts.

No plans for business or industry and generating skills for young people unless it's controlled by the unite union. 

Labour also seem to have an unlimited pot of cash under Diane Abbotts huge bed to fund all of this crazy manifesto.

Please enlighten me if they are about to offer anything different as I may have missed it. I will also be happy to buy Diane Abbott a new Casio calculator so she can work it all out accurately to see how many £billion underfunded the plans are.

I might add Brexit does mean Brexit it means we are Brexiting the EU if you had not figured that out. Jeremy Corbyn is the last man on Earth you would want negotiating the Brexit deals as he is a complete fuckwit. Have you seen the lunatics that surround him at his rallies absolute comedy maybe you were there? 

Lunch over !

You should change your username to "Paul Dacre is awesome" I asked for some answers to my questions and you replied with a load of garbage straight from Tory HQ.
    Mmmm interesting 

You asked me to read and listen to the Labour manifesto which I accurately summarised above as most intelligent people have heard it all before from Labour !

Clobber the rich destroy business help the poor save the NHS support the unions does that ring any bells for you? 

Typical Labour supporter stutters and fails like Diane Abbott when questions are asked.
    Please stick with your soundbite save the NHS rainbow policies that no one in the Labour Party has any idea how to fund.
    You haven';t actually read it tho have you.
     You haven't actually 'accurately summarised' anything apart from the right wing media projection of labour and the manifesto.

I'm fed up of hearing totally bollocks arguments by people who don't have a fecking clue what they're talking about.
     And that sir is you.

I'm not going to continue as you and I are never going to find any common ground to talk about, but please go and buy a different newspaper for a while, as you've got a serious case of Daily Mailitus.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Lunch over !

Mmmm interesting 

You haven't actually 'accurately summarised' anything apart from the right wing media projection of labour and the manifesto.

I'm fed up of hearing totally bollocks arguments by people who don't have a fecking clue what they're talking about.
     And that sir is you.

I'm not going to continue as you and I are never going to find any common ground to talk about, but please go and buy a different newspaper for a while, as you've got a serious case of Daily Mailitus.
    Y'know... when you insult people you don't do yourself any favours. Even using the word 'Tory' instead of the word 'Conservatives' paints you in a bad light. It really does.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-confronted-voter-disability-allowance-a7736881.html

Look how badly she handles this. Doesn't listen to the woman (keeps referring to learning disabilities as mental illness) and robotically repeats party lines, while showing no sympathy.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    A difficult one to handle when confronted in the street but I am quite certain she has more than £100 a month to live on who makes this stuff up? 
    Drew_TNBD said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Lunch over !

Mmmm interesting 

And that sir is you.

Y'know... when you insult people you don't do yourself any favours. Even using the word 'Tory' instead of the word 'Conservatives' paints you in a bad light. It really does.
    Dude Tories refer to themselves as Tories so what's your point.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Lunch over !

Mmmm interesting 

And that sir is you.

You are a little deluded my Labour supporter friend.  No one has read the manifesto yet because it's not out yet. We have all read the leaks ! The leaks were enough for me.

I don't read the Daily Mail as I don't have time due to my full time high powered job in that there London.

I do take The Guardian on Saturday and the Times on a Sunday for a balanced view. 

You will be pleased to know that Jeremy has found £37 billion additional funding for the NHS today over the next five years down the back of Diane's sofa this afternoon.

His broadcast tonight has promised £10 an hour minimum wage all round for everyone ! 
    He doesn't even have to find that money he will expect businesses to pay it? 33% increase !

One question how how will he structure business and the long term economy to pay for it all?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    By the way Thomas I don't consider myself a conservative or a Tory but I feel I have enough world wide experience to know what's right and wrong. I am also very aware when a politician like Jeremy Corbyn is telling people like you what they want to hear without a hope in hell of delivering any of it.

Stay strong Thomas and vote for what you feel is right but make sure it's achieveable in the real world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited May 2017
    Tory is commonly-accepted shorthand for Conservative, no matter what the etymology of the word.

You'll see lefty or lefties used widely within this thread, and that's clearly being used as a derogatory term.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    Could some one explain the difference between a leftie and a rightie to me please?

*genuine request but please keep it under 200 words no essays ! 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    edited May 2017
    capo4th said:
    A difficult one to handle when confronted in the street but I am quite certain she has more than £100 a month to live on who makes this stuff up? 
    How is it difficult to handle? She should be totally able, and comfortable with a discourse with ordinary people. She's an automaton though and is only capable of spewing forth party policy. There is no space to expand on points because every word that passes her lips is absolutely scripted and disconnected.

How can you possibly know what the lady is surviving on per month? Is she just another layabout like the ones you referred to earlier?

Who makes this stuff up? ... You mostly.

If she cannot handle an unscripted and simple conversation with a normal human being how will she cope with the complexities of the Brexit negotiations? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    thomasw88 said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:
    thomasw88 said:
    capo4th said:

Lunch over !

Mmmm interesting 

And that sir is you.

Dude Tories refer to themselves as Tories so what's your point.  
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whigs_(British_political_party)
    Budgie said:
    capo4th said:
    How is it difficult to handle? She should be totally able, and comfortable with a discourse with ordinary people. She's an automaton though and is only capable of spewing forth party policy. There is no space to expand on points because every word that passes her lips is absolutely scripted and disconnected.

How can you possibly know what the lady is surviving on per month? Is she just another layabout like the ones you referred to earlier?

Who makes this stuff up? ... You mostly.

If she cannot handle an unscripted and simple conversation with a normal human being how will she cope with the complexities of the Brexit negotiations? 
    Calm down lad the text in the link clearly states she can't live on £100 a month then clearly there is some kind of administrative error and a mistake has been made. Or is that a bonus on top of some other benefits? I don't think she is getting by on £25 a week and living in a cardboard box.

We are clearly not getting the entire story.

To be fair every time Teresa tried to speak and answer the woman rudely interrupted her and she couldn't get a word in edgeways and she was not allowed to answer the ladies questions.

watch the clip again she didn't get chance to answer as the woman was so excited.