The Fractal Thread

What's Hot
1343536373840»

Comments

• supessupes Frets: 189
    I don't use too many delays etc so no worries about affecting delay trails. Appreciate the comments about making notes at rehearsals which i've done to adjust some settings, but also need to be able to adjust some settings at gigs. I've had other modellers and must say that at the minute this seems a bit of a flaw. The sounds from the Fractal are so much better than others I've tried, but making adjustments on the unit definitely isn't as easy as on Line 6, Kemper etc.

i appreciate there's more to volume than just the level, but even so making adjustments on the unit seems very tricky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9001
    Have you looked at the Perform Pages?

https://youtu.be/GvM8ilYesgM
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 462
    edited August 17
    supes said:
    welshboyo said:
    supes said:
    Trying to to grips with an FM3. Loving the sounds but struggling to sort this. How do you change the volume of a scene from the FM3 unit? No problem doing it from laptop using edit, but can't find how to do it when not connected to the laptop. Trying to get volume right between rhythm and lead presets in rehearsals and gigs. Thanks
    @supes ;;;;;Output Block, 2nd tab I think - should give you per scene parameters- been a while since I used them so I might be wrong!!
    @welshboyo ;;;How do you do that on the FM3 unit then? I've googled, searched the forums, looked at the user manual etc. 
    I don't have an FM3 but think it's the same on all units. Press "layout" navigate to the output bock and then hit "edit" in there you should be able to use the right hand arrow to get to the scene levels page which is 8 sliders that you can adjust to taste.

As others have said there are many ways to do this....currently I'm using a combination of filter blocks and scene levels, but have used scene controllers in the past too.

Aren't amp settings saved per scene? I can't honestly remember, but if so then just raise the level of your amp or cab block in whichever scene you want to be louder.

Either way you need to hit layout, navigate to the block you want to change, hit edit, make your changes and then save and enter 

You can also set up your footswtiches to do either scene or amp level +/- in increments of 1 - 3db. I have this in all my presets in case I want to adjust on the fly, although you need to be careful you don't keep hiking it up too much as it saves the preset each time you do so

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 462
    What does everyone have their base level set to? I'm in a 2 guitar band and have always set my core rhythm tones to tickle the red, but am finding that in order to cut through for leads I don't have enough headroom anymore and am often clipping. Admittedly this is probably partly a levels issue with my band and I could just increase my level on the mixer, but I still need more headroom....

Do you use the prest levelling tool to set up your patches and scenes and what levels do you aim for?

Also, I dare say everyone knows but new firmware is out for the FM9, it's a beta, but I've downloaded it and so far is running fine. As the amp and drive blocks have had an overhaul now is a good time for me to revisit my presets address the headroom issue
    DavusPG said:

Aren't amp settings saved per scene? I can't honestly remember,
    Per channel, and you choose which channel to use in any scene. 
    DavusPG said:
    What does everyone have their base level set to? ... Do you use the prest levelling tool to set up your patches and scenes and what levels do you aim for?
    I use the Axe Edit levelling window, and just touch the red on my loudest lead sound. My "base level" rhythm volume is about 70% of that, giving me plenty of headroom. The level will vary depending on the amp voicing. Crystal clean needs slightly less level than edgy, and crunch needs slightly more. That's to do with the EQ and cutting through a mix.

One of the things which I've found helps a lot is using the same Amp type across clean, edgy, crunch, and lead tones. This means that I don't have to contend with the way different amps compress, or need EQ adjustments, with increasing volume.

If i'm not loud enough in the room then I use the physical output level knob. Normally this knob sits at 30% when I'm playing at home, and up to 60% at a venue. If that isn't loud enough then I turn up the FRFR monitor or the PA channel. On the Axe FX I use Output1 for my FRFR, and Output2 for PA, so I can adjust them independently.

edited August 17
    supes said:  How do you do that on the FM3 unit then?..

On the front panel press Home, then press Page Right twice. This will give you the Global Performance Page. I can't remember what the default layout is. Mine has been edited, and looks like this:

I can use knob A to change Gain through to knob E to set the Amp level, or use the arrows to navigate to any control and change it with the Value knob.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4459
    How do folks with experience of both think Axe FX II stacks up against Helix these days? Purely in terms of sound, I get there are significant easy of use differences but the second hand prices of Axe Fx II aren’t much more than a new HX Stomp….
    If you’re going for FX then a second hand AxeFX II is excellent value for money, on a par with things like Strymon, and beats the Helix. I can’t comment on II vs Helix for Amp sounds. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4255
    V8.00 FM9 Fitmware is up at last 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2039
    sweepy said:
    V8.00 FM9 Fitmware is up at last 
    I've actually got some spare time to install this update...looking forward to it.