Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

zero tolerance on speeding !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2431
    edited January 2018
    Wonder how long before new cars come with mandatory speed limiters linked to the Sat-Nav? That would end speeding for certain. Beyond this there will be driverless cars so again speeding will not be an issue. In the meantime the average speed cameras are popping up on both A and B rural roads so again this zero tolerance nonsense is a non issue.
    Where I live the roads are in such a poor state that for the most time attaining the speed limit is hampered by avoiding potholes and trying to preserve the cars suspension and wheels. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    Sambostar said:
    Wish it would happen.  Everyone, I mean everyone is up my arse straight away on the roads through the villages around here and everyday at least once a day I see someone narrowly avoid a horse or a cow on the road by skidding to a halt.  No one pays any attention to the speed limits  I not jealous but I'm thoroughly fucked off with modern motors which are essentially status symbol mobile armchairs. 

Zero tolerance and hang them if they get caught taking the piss three times in a row.

There is no place for speed on commuter roads.  Even if you have the best brakes in the world you can't predict the future.  We're not in control of ourselves or anyone else it's an illusion, if you think you are and speed you are a twat.  Cat got run over the other day in a thirty zone, which people treat like a 50 zone, if that was the girlfriends grand daughter there would be nothing left of her.  Everyone goes on about drink driving, but it's far safer to be slightly over the limit the next day and be cautious than to think the world owes you a favour by speeding everywhere.
    Am I really drunk? I understood, and agreed with, all of a Sambostar post....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    TTony said:
     the J Vine Radio 2 show
    There's your problem.

How BBC standards have fallen.    That show is  sensationalist, populist radio at its worst.  Maybe expected on a local radio station with 3 listeners, but on the BBC? 

Poor old Jimmy Young must be spinning at 78rpm.

Jeremy Vine's show is like an on-air version of the Daily Mail. I can't stand him, his programme, and the twats that phone in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16254
    Totally agree with the Jeremy Vine comment.........sanctimonious twat
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’d probably rather they did something about all the twats who text, ffs, while driving! :o
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Does it really mean zero tolerance, must cost a bit to calibrate speed cameras to catch someone driving at 30.000000001mph
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    wolsnah said:
    I do wonder about this sometimes. There's a feeling and perception that the revenue generated from speeding fines has now somewhat become a necessity to fund certain aspects of policing/society. It's perfectly within our own control as a nation to not speed, so say we all took extra due care and attention for a period of say twelve months, how crippling would that be for certain state organisations if that revenue stream suddenly massively dried up?
    I dare say the lower use of fire engines, ambulances and NHS emergency care savings would outweigh the reduced fine income by many multiples. Just think if we could all get to our destinations easier and faster if we weren't in a queue of cars waiting on a road to be opened following an unnessacary accident. Many local councils have turned off fixed speed cameras in recent years, some for nearly a decade!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    Even more when you've got to allow for the movement in the pole to which the camera is mounted.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Grrrrrrr. Shakes fist. Goes a bit red and makes attempt to excuse speeding. Makes vague comment about "them".
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Sporky said:
    Even more when you've got to allow for the movement in the pole to which the camera is mounted.

Yeah continental drift is a real ballache. Gets me every time.

:)

• I am in two minds about zero tolerance. As an experienced driver it is all too easy to drift over the speed limit especially when other road users are taking up your attention or you don't see the speed limit change because of overgrowth or a lorry obstructing a sign.
    There are two types of speeder in my mind. Those who are not trying to speed, but may have a lapse of concentration or miss a sign (see above).
    Then you have the boy racers/company car/van drivers who drive with their foot to the floor all the time.
    And then you have drivers who are not speeding but drive aggressively and weave in and out often on the phone and are generally just bad drivers.

I've been stopped before for speeding (80 in a 70) but was not booked as the copper said I was driving well, leaving plenty of space, indicating and just being sensible.
  • I think the real issue for me is that on the two occasions I have been done for speeding in the past 12 years on the road commercially. Its been in locations that are locally well known as speed traps but if you are out of town and not from the area you don't know  you see the road widen out to a dual carriageway and the speed change sign is away up the road so you wrongly start to accelerate and then the van partially hidden behind the concrete pillar or visual obstacle snaps you.

Twice in different locations doing 6mph over 40mph gets me a speed awareness course.

For the mileage I do I consider myself a safe and as much as the next guy a conscientious driver but there are a lot of these mobile camera's that are simply designed to deceive in locations that are poorly signed .

Or like the Dartford tunnel that is 60 on approach reducing to 40 then to variable speed then up to 50 through the tunnel nothing clearly signed 

Hey ho
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12204
    PC_Dave said:
    Sambostar said:
    Wish it would happen.  Everyone, I mean everyone is up my arse straight away on the roads through the villages around here and everyday at least once a day I see someone narrowly avoid a horse or a cow on the road by skidding to a halt.  No one pays any attention to the speed limits  I not jealous but I'm thoroughly fucked off with modern motors which are essentially status symbol mobile armchairs. 

Zero tolerance and hang them if they get caught taking the piss three times in a row.

There is no place for speed on commuter roads.  Even if you have the best brakes in the world you can't predict the future.  We're not in control of ourselves or anyone else it's an illusion, if you think you are and speed you are a twat.  Cat got run over the other day in a thirty zone, which people treat like a 50 zone, if that was the girlfriends grand daughter there would be nothing left of her.  Everyone goes on about drink driving, but it's far safer to be slightly over the limit the next day and be cautious than to think the world owes you a favour by speeding everywhere.
    I think the last paragraph nails it, especially in built up areas, it's about stopping the terrible tragedy of some innocent person's death.

The way some people talk, you would think it is about personally inconveniencing them.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    It's absurd, frankly.  Observing the speed limit does not mean that you never exceed it.  What about those moments where to speed up slightly is the best option, or overtaking on a B road?  

What about zero tolerance for driving without due care and attention? - cameras installed in all cars watching drivers and assessing their level of concentration - don't touch that radio!  Definitely don't change your bloody driving mode configuration settings!!

There are lots of shit drivers on the roads that do all sort of stupid dangerous things all the time, of which speeding might be one, but going after the drivers that drift over the limit by 1mph is not going to protect anybody against them.

• randellarandella Frets: 4367
    PC_Dave said:
    Sambostar said:

I think the last paragraph nails it, especially in built up areas, it's about stopping the terrible tragedy of some innocent person's death.

The way some people talk, you would think it is about personally inconveniencing them.
    Drove from Manchester to Essex at the weekend - this rings a bell.

From Manchester to Stoke is currently 20 miles of 50mph average speed check as they're putting in managed motorway.  Then Brum, more managed motorway.  M6 toll for a bit of respite, then more managed motorway, basically two-thirds of the M1 into the M25, all managed.

At first I got my usual cob on, as like everyone else I've realised over time that the motorway NSL isn't enforced and hasn't been for years.  I've got used to breaking it along with the rest of the flow of traffic, apparently with impunity - god-knows how many miles of motorway driving since the mid-90's and never a single point to show for it (or anything else for that matter).

Then I realised that I was much more relaxed.  Cruising along at a steady speed, going with the flow.  M25 is a piece of piss when it's moving, if you're not coming on and going off then avoid the inside lane and Robert's your father's brother.  Finished my 240 mile trip in a fine mood, plenty chilled and ready to meet my old mates for a cheeky afternoon reunion pint.

So town, no speeding.  Dick maneuver.  Commuter A-roads, what's the point.  Go with it.  Managed motorway, steady speed, rack up the miles.

Clear rural motorway in favourable conditions, guilty as charged.  Don't judge me.

As for this zero-tolerance business, Jeremy Vine.  There's your answer.  Won't be a thing, I'll bet a tenner of anyone's money.
    Sambostar said:
    modern motors which are essentially status symbol mobile armchairs. 

This is also true.  I passed my test in, and drove for a long time, a Citroen AX GT.  Was considered a reasonably quick car in its day and, driven by the feckless youth I was at the time, the sales reps wouldn't have seen which way it went.

These days it'd be rinsed by a poverty-spec turbodiesel. 

At the same time I've mellowed so if the outside lane merchants want to drive their leased company motors an inch apart in a bid to out-Alpha each other then they're welcome to it.

The march of time I guess.  Happens to us all.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2480
    edited February 2018
    If the government cared about improved road safety then they would improve infrastructure. I spent the weekend in Donegal, and the majority of their "B" roads (called "R" roads down there) are often better than what passes for an "A" road in Northern Ireland.

Italy increased the motorway speed limit and saw the number of accidents fall, so I'm not convinced that speed per se is dangerous. Insurance companies would agree, as they tend not to significantly increase premiums for penalty points for speeding (compared to for example careless driving).

I do agree that there should be strict enforcement in certain areas (there's no place for excess speed near schools, in housing areas etc), but strict enforcement in areas where a few mph over the limit is perfectly safe is a waste of time.

Speed should be appropriate for the conditions. In poor conditions and roads with limited forward view I go slower (sometimes much slower) than the speed limit, because it's appropriate to do so. On the other hand, I see no issue with going say 70mph on an open stretch of A road, particularly when the stopping distances quoted in the highway code are pre-ABS etc.

I agree strict enforcement of mobile phone use while driving would be a better use of resources. I'm surprised mobile phone manufacturers haven't done anything about this yet, the entertainment system in my car won't let me scroll through lists on spotify etc by hand when I'm driving.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28971
    I, like everyone else, am certain that I am the best driver in the world, and should therefore be allowed to decide which rules apply to me and which do not.

Strangely there is a strong correlation between the rules I think are OK and how I drive.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited February 2018
    Sporky said:
    I, like everyone else, am certain that I am the best driver in the world, and should therefore be allowed to decide which rules apply to me and which do not.

Strangely there is a strong correlation between the rules I think are OK and how I drive.
    I’m pretty sure that, despite having been driving daily since Oasis’s first album was in the charts, I’m no better than a mediocre driver.

In the spirit of full and frank disclosure, I can get away with driving over the speed limit on a quiet motorway so I do. A bit like people who love a bit of Status Quo - a huge number do but far fewer will admit to it. 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    I have never been done for speeding I'm just to quick..