Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this tiling acceptable?

What's Hot

Comments

• nope its shite, he started out wrong and subsequently  kept going wrong. I would have 'fiddled' each row to match, dead easy to do if youre not lazy....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    If that corner is the first thing you see when entering the bathroom, definitely not good enough. I would expect the "full" tiles to start from there and the cut tiles be around the wall the door is in. For a start.
    I don't think it would work like that as the tiles are staggered. If you had full tiles down that wall, they wouldn't have the staggered effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    Looks terrible - needs redoing. No excuses!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    I like the staggered effect and the way the tiles *should* appear to 'wrap around' the corner - if it was done right it would look fine. The problem is that the offset at the corner totally ruins it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1011
    ronnyb said:
    Whether the tiles were level or not if I was doing it i would probably finish the corners with a bead of silicone. It may improve the look of it a bit.  
    I think that’s a good call @ronnyb ;
    I think it looks ok.  Life is too short to worry about perfectly aligned tiles.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    rawk100 said:
    The bath is in the corner of the room and the tiling is only around the bath (along the length of the bath and across the back). The bottom few runs line up but it starts going out of line about halfway up the corner. I guess hes just strictly followed the spacers and didnt manually adjusted where necessary.
    So this is the only corner? In which case he's made a proper pigs ear of it.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A good tiler, or indeed any tradesman, can make any old shite look good. This is new work on new walls...

Ask your tiler if he knows any. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I didn't know Stevie Wonder was a tiler in his spare time.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2110
    Have you paid him yet?

If not, I’d refuse until sorted. That isn’t very good at all. I doubt you’ll get him to re-do it if you’ve paid already. If you have paid.. why?

Also, and in response to the comments regarding whether the bath/shower tray etc were straight to begin with.. what difference does that make? It shouldn’t make any difference at all, that’s why you are employing a trade. I can’t imagine any decent tradesman working out of level or plumb because the existing is out. Any comebacks from the customer leaves you without a leg to stand on.
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    This is the only corner......I've just spoken to him and he reckons that it's because some of the tiles are different sizes. He just followed the spacers because he wanted the grout to be the same thickness. He's just shrugged his shoulders about it. I've told him not to bother to return and finish the job. I'm just gonna have to knock off the top 8 rows, clean up the wall, and redo it myself.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited February 2018
    rawk100 said:
    This is the only corner......I've just spoken to him and he reckons that it's because some of the tiles are different sizes. He just followed the spacers because he wanted the grout to be the same thickness. He's just shrugged his shoulders about it. I've told him not to bother to return and finish the job. I'm just gonna have to knock off the top 8 rows, clean up the wall, and redo it myself.
    That sounds like the sort of excuse a DIYer would fall back on. Makes you wonder if he actually knows anything about tiling? He should have checked the tiles before doing the job and accounted for that issue or at least raised your awareness to it. The same applies in respect of the shade of colour as sometimes this can vary slightly from box to box and therefore needs to be accounted for.

Regardless of all that, it's pretty obvious in the photo that those tiles are of a very similar height and are not properly alligned. It also would have looked a lot better with the tiles alligned and a slight variance in grout width. Good luck getting it sorted!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    shoddy job if you ask me. This is why I do my own tiling. It's not rocket science to get things to line up, all you need is one working eye.

That would annoy me forever more.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    I’ve had a second look now I’m awake and can see the tiles don’t align on each side of the wall, I initially just looked at the cuts and grouting. 

Is it out along the whole wall or just in sections?
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited February 2018
    Classic response from someone who does a shoddy job and hopes no one raises an issue.

If it is genuinely a case of poor materials it would have been evident whilst doing the job and a good tradesman would have discussed that with you, not blindly complete the bodge job and hope you don’t care/notice. 

If he’s been paid I’d suggest a couple of unfavourable reviews might get him to change his mind about either rectifying himself or better still, refund you and allow you to get someone competent in. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Does anyone else think this is a very good example of a "first world problem"? :)

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Chalky said:
    Does anyone else think this is a very good example of a "first world problem"? :)

Not really. Then again I had the butler type my reply so I didn’t really read the thread properly. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2018
    Probably one batch on one wall and another on the adjacent wall or the corner isn't plumb and he's tried to adjust it  Corners are focal points are anyone with eyesight, who takes pride in their work should have known that lining up the corners is critical.  It does look like the tiles on the right are smaller.  I hate tiles though as said they vary by 3-5mm for the bigger ones making it impossible without cutting them to get a perfect stack bond or similar.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    Chalky said:
    Yes. An immigrant would most likely have done the job right and charged half as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I'm sorry but that tiling is piss poor for a pro unless there's something wrong with the walls.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • nah the tiles look the same size, he just started wrong and carried on wrong...