Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this tiling acceptable?

What's Hot

Comments

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited February 2018
    I have the same shaped tiles but black with white grout - a loft shower in an older house - the corners and rows in mine are not perfect but are much better. I can see a few rows that have dropped- but I think because the guy took good care, each row is straight so it doesn't look wonky overall. Rest of the room is white tiles / white grout and it's perfect. Just cos Mr Surveyor above says it passes means bugger all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Chalky said:
    Does anyone else think this is a very good example of a "first world problem"? :)

Not at all. If you are professional (at any job) and charge a professional fee, then it is your duty to supply a professional job. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Does anyone else think this is a very good example of a "first world problem"? :)

Totally. I doubt I would even notice it if were in my home let alone complain.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This is the kind of thing Alan Partridge would get upset about
  • So if you spent a night in the Ritz hotel and saw this in the bathroom would you be surprised at the poor level of workmanship?
    Would you complain if your iPhone wasn't micro-meter perfect?
    If you're playing an instrument and you're not up to scratch should punters just be pleased you turned up?

Obviously it's a first world problem but do you like eating off plates washed in unclean water? 
    Thought not.
    Rant over.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
     Just cos Mr Surveyor above says it passes means bugger all.
    No, in fact it says a lot about the surveyor. One job of a surveyor is to be able to set out a straight line over a distance. Not being able to spot a problem here is fundamental to the skill set. 

Like I said, the problem has nothing to do with walls out of square, floors not level, plaster not flat. This  is caused by a 'tradesman' who is just not skilled enough and certainly not a 'professional'. A level line around the tiled area is a simple thing to create and then work to. I suspect the tradesman was just a knob and used different sized spacers and didn't spot it till too late. And working 'into' the corner rather than out of the corner. Fundamental basic error. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m sure there’s a probably more appropriate forum for a group of middle-aged men harrumphing about ‘bad workmanship’ to visit 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    No.

White grout with dark tiles is unacceptable, he should re-do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16005
    Janet Leigh is lyin' in a heap on the floor
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2094
    Well its a Nats out  definitely, ...but it shows up a lot more in this instance, take a pic from further away, see how noticeable it is then. Ive a similar experience, and whilst it wasn't practical to remove the tiles, I got some cash back.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You might want to get a plasterer in tow if you're thinking about knocking em off..  :#

If the chap who did it gave you a full refund, i'd consider finding some way of living with it. Anything less and i'd be telling em to redo it.

You can't have that mate. Hope it works out for ya! 
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 233
    Its not good - the idiot who tiled my floor made a complete arse of it as well. The tiles don't run square to a single wall and are out by 1cm the length of a breakfast bar. Only saving grace is the furniture hides it and no-one has ever noticed. Perhaps put a corner strip as suggested before to take your eye away from it.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    I think it's fantastic.
    I have no idea how you got Bridget Reilly in to do your tiling but I recognise a work of art when I see one.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    So the tiler has just been round to see what I'm moaning about and he's now admitted it's a shit job, said he didn't realise it was so far out. He's gonna come back and do it again So he's stripped the wonky tiles off (luckily the adhesive was still soft).

https://i.imgur.com/Epoe8fV.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 494
    No. If you were happy with it shit you could have done it yourself.

Tiling isn't exactly complicated is it? I definitely wouldn't pay the full amount of the bill.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I’m sure there’s a probably more appropriate forum for a group of middle-aged men harrumphing about ‘bad workmanship’ to visit 
    I guess you're new here ....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100 said:
    So the tiler has just been round to see what I'm moaning about and he's now admitted it's a shit job, said he didn't realise it was so far out. He's gonna come back and do it again So he's stripped the wonky tiles off (luckily the adhesive was still soft).

Result! 

Once you've spotted something like that, it will bug you until it's right! 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12012
    rawk100 said:

ahhh it started out straight, and he maybe used spacers later on that were too small on the right
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    hywelg said:

. A level line around the tiled area is a simple thing to create and then work to. I suspect the tradesman was just a knob and used different sized spacers and didn't spot it till too late. And working 'into' the corner rather than out of the corner. Fundamental basic error. 
    That is the core of the problem.  I tried and failed in my post above to say this.  The corner just 'looked' all wrong, now way would I accept it if it were my bathroom....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    The corner just 'looked' all wrong, now way would I accept it if it were my bathroom....
    The bathroom: heart of every home.