Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is this tiling acceptable?

What's Hot
I've just had some tiling done, would you accept it in a new bathroom?

https://i.imgur.com/VP5iUaw.jpg
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The high contrast is always going to bring out the ocd. If the tiles were white you probably wouldn't notice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10722
    No. You could ask him/her to come back and replace the grout with something darker as a compromise
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4887
    I'd be miffed to be honest, if I did it myself then fair enough but if I'd paid a professional to do it then I'd expect better. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3345
    All the cuts on each side seem to be of the same size, the grouting looks even and neat. What is it you’re not happy with?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72634
    That is pretty poor. I don’t know if it’s worth having it stripped off and done again though.

It’s actually hard to see how it’s happened, since they appear to be aligned at the bottom and the spacing looks quite even. There must be just enough variation for it to add up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    The levels look different between the left and right walls.
    Are the white marks scratches or grout left on the surface?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Not really, I would have done it myself.  In fairness though it's probably the poor tolerances of the tiles, which are designed to be in a running bond is probably way out, which makes it near impossible to achieve perfectly parallel runs.  I was doing some laminate flooring the other day, parquet style, laid in running bond.  Some of the boards were 1.5mm wider than the rest, meaning I had to sort the lot out by hand first or have 1.5mm gaps in places.  Fine if I'm doing it, but far more cash if someone else is.  I blame the materials.  Especially over priced cheap shite from Hardware stores.  I did a herringbone slate paved patio years ago.  I learnt my lesson then.  Ended up hand cutting most of the inch and a half thick pavers to fit.  Materials are shite and experience often means you have to rely on your eye.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947
    It doesn't look grout, does it?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    Not OCD at all - it looks awful and is unacceptable from a professional tradesperson. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If you’ve paid someone to do it, then not really.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Depends who did it. If it was Willy Wonka then it’s reasonable but otherwise I wouldn’t be that happy. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3640
    Looks bloody awful.

Not OCD at all, a proper tradesman should be able to do better than that.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    I'd leave it
    I doubt they would re-do it to be honest

Other things to consider
    Who chose and purchased the materials?
    Was the wall straight / the tray/bath/counter below?

Interestingly, my mate is a plumber who fits high-end bathrooms - customer chooses and purchases, he is assigned to fit them, and he has had 2 court cases in the last 3 years, where unhappy clients have tried to sue him for £10k-£30k for poor workmanship, whereas he and his tiler are top-notch

The one I remember is that the wall was not straight - it was concave, and they had told the customer in advance, so it looked odd. In both cases (after a huge amount of stress dragging on for about a year - that was causing him quite a lot of harm as far as I could see), he won both cases, plus costs. One of them was a customer who was actually a solicitor, must have been a very thick one - I saw the evidence, there was no case to answer. That customer lost, then took it to appeal, and had it rejected and more fees added, cost him about double in the end.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • maybe its just me........but what is wrong with it ?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    Sambostar said:
    Not really, I would have done it myself.  In fairness though it's probably the poor tolerances of the tiles, which are designed to be in a running bond is probably way out, which makes it near impossible to achieve perfectly parallel runs.  I was doing some laminate flooring the other day, parquet style, laid in running bond.  Some of the boards were 1.5mm wider than the rest, meaning I had to sort the lot out by hand first or have 1.5mm gaps in places.  Fine if I'm doing it, but far more cash if someone else is.  I blame the materials.  Especially over priced cheap shite from Hardware stores.  I did a herringbone slate paved patio years ago.  I learnt my lesson then.  Ended up hand cutting most of the inch and a half thick pavers to fit.  Materials are shite and experience often means you have to rely on your eye.
    This, plus the state of the walls. It's not the tiler's fault if the wall isn't perfectly flat and plumb which it probably isn't. 

Our house was built in the late 1700's, the great thing about that is that there isn't a flat surface, or a horizontal or vertical line, or a 90 degree angle anywhere and you get used to this sort of thing.  But even in our last house which was 1960's none of the tiling lined up perfectly. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    maybe its just me........but what is wrong with it ?
    The tiles don't align in the corner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Neill said:
    Sambostar said:
    This, plus the state of the walls. It's not the tiler's fault if the wall isn't perfectly flat and plumb which it probably isn't. 

Our house was built in the late 1700's, the great thing about that is that there isn't a flat surface, or a horizontal or vertical line, or a 90 degree angle anywhere and you get used to this sort of thing.  But even in our last house which was 1960's none of the tiling lined up perfectly. 

Normally tiles are fitted after the old ones have been hacked off which usually means some replastering is required if not the wall could have been skimmed to square it up prior to tiling.
  • The work doesn't look bad, but that slight wonkyness is jarring with that high contrast.

The spacing looks even, so It's hard to see how it could be made better without carefully selecting the tiles to get each run the same height either side of the corner. Is that really practical?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    It would all depend if my Mrs left me or not. If she leaves then yeah its ace i can live with that. If she stays then No way im putting up with that shoddy workmanship !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom