Feedback

What's Hot

Comments

• darcym said:
    I can't make a post in the meta section, so the feedback thread seems a logical place.

I wonder if the team would consider enabling SSL for the site, especially for logins, but maybe for the whole site too.

I'd be happy to chip in for the certificate.

From a techie's perspective...I'm not entirely sure what we'd gain. SSL is no good for encryption - it's designed to identify sites, so that you know you're sending data to the right place - and it can be broken relatively easily. In any case, (almost) all the data on here is publicly viewable immediately anyway, so encryption for privacy isn't really a factor either.

What it can cause problems with is Javascript interactions, especially on mobile devices, and especially during a transition when we implement it.

What's your logic here? Not a leading question :) Happy to consider it, if you can convince me that there's a good enough business case to prioritise it over the other things we've got in mind.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited January 2015
    Posting from an iPad on Chrome browser the comment box defaults to typing in the script editor; turning the message box yellow. Comment tools such as Bold, Italic, Font, Font size and Image input are all greyed out except for the ability to switch between Script editor and standard input, and Expand text box. 

Mobile site would also be improved if you could jump straight to notifications from the home page, rather than going through your profile page, then notifications. 
    It's just better if you are on mobile data as it reduces the data used, and the time required to get where you want to be on a slow connection. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27729
    Hertz32 said:
    Posting from an iPad on Chrome browser the comment box defaults to typing in the script editor; turning the message box yellow. Comment tools such as Bold, Italic, Font, Font size and Image input are all greyed out except for the ability to switch between Script editor and standard input, and Expand text box. 

Yup.  It does.

Toggle between the view source and formatted text views using the < > button (right end of the toolar).

There are a few issues with this text editor and the iPad.  And IE11 too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Everything has issues with IE11 though :D
    But yeah, I worked out the <> button myself, it's just the inability to post images properly/easily that irritates me. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    darcym said:
    I can't make a post in the meta section, so the feedback thread seems a logical place.

I wonder if the team would consider enabling SSL for the site, especially for logins, but maybe for the whole site too.

From a techie's perspective...I'm not entirely sure what we'd gain. SSL is no good for encryption - it's designed to identify sites, so that you know you're sending data to the right place - and it can be broken relatively easily. In any case, (almost) all the data on here is publicly viewable immediately anyway, so encryption for privacy isn't really a factor either.

What it can cause problems with is Javascript interactions, especially on mobile devices, and especially during a transition when we implement it.

What's your logic here? Not a leading question :) Happy to consider it, if you can convince me that there's a good enough business case to prioritise it over the other things we've got in mind.

SSL is not used for just identifying sites, and to say it's "easy to break" is just not realistic in my opinion and experience.

I was requesting SSL for the login process so I'm not transmitting my username and password in clear text all over the internet

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Please can we have thread previews (that little eye icon) in all categories rather than just the main "discussions" list?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Yeah, Ill post this again: 

Still can't make posts from my Samsung galaxy tab 3. Third time of mentioning this now ;)  (once in PM, twice in this thread) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27729
    Jetfire said:
    Still can't make posts from my Samsung galaxy tab 3. Third time of mentioning this now ;)  (once in PM, twice in this thread) 
    What version of Android and what browser (& version) are you using?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    darcym said:
    darcym said:

SSL is not used for just identifying sites, and to say it's "easy to break" is just not realistic in my opinion and experience.

I was requesting SSL for the login process so I'm not transmitting my username and password in clear text all over the internet

Doesn't HTTPS do this (I know it's HTTP over SSL/TLS) without specifically allowing SSL interactions ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    TTony said:
    Jetfire said:
    What version of Android and what browser (& version) are you using?
    Usually using Chrome and its version 4.4.2 (doesnt say which OS though..)
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited January 2015
    Jalapeno said:
    darcym said:
    darcym said:

Doesn't HTTPS do this (I know it's HTTP over SSL/TLS) without specifically allowing SSL interactions ?

If it's a real concern then you still need a certificate, otherwise you could be securely transmitting details to someone else. Personally I always treat forum logins as disposable, but maybe a bit more security is warranted because of the classifieds section?
    Edit: I'm pretty sure I know darcym's username anyway...
    And it kinda works from internet on my galaxy tab but nkt from google chrome
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4613
    edited January 2015
    is there any way we could get a notification when somebody quotes our post?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    ^ +1 this
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Search box in mobile site.

AFAICS it is not possible to search the forums from the mobile version of the website.

In the toolbar at the top I see: Home, <username>, Inbox, Mark All Viewed, New Discussion

And at the bottom: Full Site, Sign Out

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing just now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Notification whenever a specified phrase appears in a discussion.

Would be useful when GASing for a particular bit of kit - particularly for getting notified when somebody mentions its name in the classifieds.  (So it might be nice to restrict the notification to specified forums - hence this overlaps somewhat with the "restrict search
    to specified forums" feature request).
  • Notification whenever a specified phrase appears in a discussion.

Lol I think that feature could probably be a little to easy to use for evil.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Some way of collecting feedback in the classifieds, so buyers have an idea whether the seller is legit before paying.

One possibility: basschat.co.uk has a system (maybe just a convention, built on top of the forum) of a feedback thread per user - buyers can post in there ("Joe Bloggs was a pleasure to deal with, good communication" etc), and sellers can put a link to that thread in their sig.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24686
    Some way of collecting feedback in the classifieds, so buyers have an idea whether the seller is legit before paying.

One possibility: basschat.co.uk has a system (maybe just a convention, built on top of the forum) of a feedback thread per user - buyers can post in there ("Joe Bloggs was a pleasure to deal with, good communication" etc), and sellers can put a link to that thread in their sig.

you mean like the one we already have?

There is a bad version too for the naughty boys.
  • @fretmeister - kinda, but with a way to filter by username.  So just before I line the pockets of @straight_up_geezer_honest_mate for that tasty-looking '54 goldtop, I can check what others said about him.  Is there any way to do that in the existing thread?

For comparison, here is the feedback thread for a randomly-selected user on basschat.  Since that's under its own URL, it can easily be linked to from a sig.