Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Name your top 3 guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I've rewritten this *A LOT*... today it is mostly...

Gilmour
    Nels Cline
    Graham Coxon

But that may change by the time I've sent this...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    1. Laurie Wisefield
    2. Mike Casswell
    3. Andy Latimer
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited March 2014
    Paul Gilbert
    Rory Gallagher
    Isaac Guillory

Honorable mention for Page - more for what he's done, more than his actual playing, which is pretty messy, tbh...!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131

Page

Clapton

Beck

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    impmann said:
    I've rewritten this *A LOT*... today it is mostly...

Gilmour
    Nels Cline
    Graham Coxon

But that may change by the time I've sent this...
    Coxon is a very good guitarist. No one seems to give him any kudos
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 351
    1. Mr David Gilmore
    2. Mr David Evans ;)
    3. Mr Adrian Belew  (ran out of Davids)

And now for my next three ........
  • 1. Steve vai
    2. Slash
    3. Joe perry
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    1. Allan Holdsworth
    2. Stevie Ray Vaughan
    3. Phil Keaggy
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1763
    Ooh today it's

Bernard Butler
    Richard Thompson
    George Harrison.

I may revisit this later...
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    1. Hendrix

2 Jimmy Page

3. Richie Blackmore

I must admit I am not a guitar player worshipper per se but the above have all been involved in wonderful music which their playing is a fine adjunct to. 
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Today it would be;

3. Stephen Carpenter - deftones

2 Brian May

1 Joshua Homme
  • kaisoskaisos Frets: 26
    Marr
    Coxon
    Butler

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    edited March 2014
    1) Steve Vai
    2) Al di Meola
    3) Ritchie Blackmore
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Very difficult to select 3

today's options might include but not necessarily in this order:

Nile Rogers
    Ric Formosa
    Jeff (Skunk) Baxter

• Steve Jones
    Mick Jones
    Wilko Johnson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 375

1.Michael Schenker,amazing phrasing and incredible tone.

2. george Lynch,insane note choice and peril in his solo endings

3. Gilmour, spaces and melody second to none in my book.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited March 2014
    Difficult to narrow it down to three... here's my best shot. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably give you a different answer entirely. 
    Not in order, that'd be even harder.

Guthrie Govan - technically head and shoulders above almost everyone else who has ever picked up a guitar, but somehow still manages to play the perfect thing for the song, and rarely overplays. Absolutely amazing tone, feel, technique, imagination, superb improvisational skills, not to mention the ability to play pretty much anything. He can quite convincingly imitate loads of other guitarists, but when he's playing his own stuff you just KNOW it's him - he has a very distinctive style and sound that is all his. Seems like a lovely chap as well, not to mention funny - I love watching the Lick Library and Guitarist videos with him in them.

Marco Sfogli - a slightly lesser-known Italian chap. I'm listening to him right now, and he's one of the best in the whole instrumental rock guitar scene, IMO. He has a very Petrucci-esque feel to his playing a lot of the time, but he doesn't shred quite as much - mind you, he's very impressive when he does. He comes out with some impossible licks. Great phrasing and note choice, plus a stunning tone and technique to die for. He makes me really, really wish I was better at playing this sort of music.

Having to choose between my final two is difficult - it was either going to be John Petrucci or Jakub Zytecki. However, I've waxed lyrical about JP several times in the past, and I don't know what I can say about him that hasn't already been said. So:

Jakub Zytecki - the guitarist for Polish progressive rock/metal band Disperse, and one hell of an incredible player. He's only about 20, so a couple of years older than me, but his playing is really mature-sounding, if that makes sense. He can shred like a demon but doesn't do so as often as you might expect, and his phrasing and tone are wonderful. The trump card, though, is that he writes all of the Disperse material pretty much single-handedly - programmes all the drums and keyboard parts, and writes all the guitar and bass parts. And it's brilliant stuff. I wish I could write like that. Colour me envious :D

Right, that's three... now I'm gonna need to create a sock-puppet account to talk about John Petrucci, Nuno Bettencourt and Paul Gilbert. Then another for Brian May, Gary Moore and Brad Paisley.

Oh fuck, and what about Shawn Lane?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited March 2014
    Robben Ford.....taste, tone, and his ability to play interesting stuff without having to play loads of notes. He fuses blues and jazz effortlessly.

SRV.....for me he redefined the modern blues Strat tone, and had almost unworldly taste and feel, particularly on his moodier stuff like Lenny, Tin Pan Alley, and Texas Flood.

Matt Schofield.....again great tone and feel, and he knows how to build a solo while still leaving space to create atmosphere. 
    Comparing his earlier albums to the latest stuff shows a noticeable progression in his playing.

Cliches maybe, but who cares. Of course there are more, but they're my three. For now.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    Like previous posters, it's almost impossible to pick just three but .....

Michael Schenker
    Andy Latimer
    Andy Powell

Are today's choices.
  • James Burton, sheer class and heard on literally thousands of songs from Suzie Q to Hello Mary Lou.
    Played for just about every major star, and influenced countless uk guitarist such as Jeff Beck, Hank Marvin, Jimmy Page, etc etc etc

Scotty Moore, a legend , enough said. 

Gary Moore, taste feel rawness, he had it all.