What's Hot

Comments

• Shock cider:

TNT cider:

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:

Mateus Rosé :scream: 

My main memory of this brand is that it was considered a good candidate for making a glass slide (or indeed "bottleneck") due to the long straight neck. I never tried it though!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    exocet said:
    WezV said:
    exocet said:
    I miss Singha Beer...circa 1990 - 200?....When it was first sold in the U.K @6% ABV. At some point in 00s they ruined it by reducing to 5% (taxation reasons apparently). Totally killed the taste.
    A global brand not brewed in the UK.   It’s ABV is consistent in all markets.  The UK is a small market for Singha

What does UK taxation have to do with the choice to drop its ABV?
    I'm quite aware of that. The decision to reduce ABV was for tax / duty reasons in its native market. So now the beer tastes pretty poor everywhere.
    I had to check on that, I am not well aware of any tax laws in Thailand .  Seems Thailand’s current tax is based on style of drink, not yet ABV content.  At least that’s what Google’s first article suggests and as much time as I am interested in checking 

i have seen the same argument applied to Corona when that dropped and with that one taste tests were wholly responsible.

Caffreys going from 5 to 3.8 was almost certainly a tax decision, but also an aim to reduce the notorious caffreys hangover.  even for a local uk brew the decision to reduce ABV is not as simple as just tax
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2018
    BOLS!

Advocat

Maybe you can still get this and what about the alcho-pop Hooch?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16710
    hooch is still available, I see the lorry with branding on the side more than I see bottles in shops

the advertising of these was restricted quite heavily.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14288
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Advocaat 

like a bottle of phlegm.
    There's a bottle right here in my kitchen. Alcoholic custard! 
    Besides Top Deck shandy, probably my first brush with the demon drink.  My dear old Grandma used to mix trace elements of the stuff with lemonade and call it a 'snowball'.  Yellow in hue, it caused me much torment when listening to my Frank Zappa records years later.
    Top Deck Shandy - that deserves top marks for remembering it - Chips + scraps in a tray and a Top Deck Shandy walking back from the youth club - Happy Days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14288
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    What about Newcastle Brown Ale?  Is that still going?

Used to call it 'Dog', for some reason.
    First time I was bad and it was Newcastle Brown - 4 pints from a tin - 14 years old - And never touched it since
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    JerkMoans said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Advocaat 

like a bottle of phlegm.
    There's a bottle right here in my kitchen. Alcoholic custard! 
    Besides Top Deck shandy, probably my first brush with the demon drink.  My dear old Grandma used to mix trace elements of the stuff with lemonade and call it a 'snowball'.  Yellow in hue, it caused me much torment when listening to my Frank Zappa records years later.
    Top Deck Shandy - that deserves top marks for remembering it - Chips + scraps in a tray and a Top Deck Shandy walking back from the youth club - Happy Days
    ... or consumed with/sprayed over companions on back row of school coach. While making obscene gestures at truck drivers.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited March 2018
    JerkMoans said:

One of the other chaps I drink with usually drinks Newky Brown. I do occasionally. I didn't know it was brewed in Holland these days, but it is, according to wikpeedia. IMO the first thing we should do for Brexit is bring it back to Newcastle! Sod passports, this is IMPORTANT!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • randellarandella Frets: 4177
    @WezV - I moved to Manchester a couple of years before you were at Bolton.  Remember old-style Boddies being a nice session beer.  Used to get through plenty of it in the massive pub opposite my halls of residence (students in one bar, locals in the other - never cross the beams!).

A few years later, after the Melanie Sykes transformation, I saw a Boddies dray wagon in town.  They were still using the 'Cream of Manchester' tagline but someone had crossed out 'Manchester' in the dirt and written 'Malmesbury' (where they'd moved the brewery to, Wiltshire I think?) instead.  As protests go, it was a fairly specific one.

Anyway, as re. creamflow.  I remember the first crop of those, there was one called Caffrey's, a pseudo-Irish ale which wasn't too bad, went down quickly enough and was bloody strong.  A few years later I saw it in cans and they'd dropped the strength, no idea if it's still around.

When it was new in the UK, I saw it on draught in a few Dublin bars whilst on my jollies and absolutely no-one was drinking it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Bass

Phoenix

(beers that were available when I was a nipper! Never got the opportunity to drink either...)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• randellarandella Frets: 4177
    JerkMoans said:

One of the other chaps I drink with usually drinks Newky Brown. I do occasionally. I didn't know it was brewed in Holland these days, but it is, according to wikpeedia. IMO the first thing we should do for Brexit is bring it back to Newcastle! Sod passports, this is IMPORTANT!
    It's not a bad beer, I don't mind the odd one.

Someone I know once described it as 'a drink and a weapon all in one'.  Christ knows where he'd been drinking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    BRISTOL86 said:
    martinw said:
    Harvey's Bristol Cream (tit lotion)
    Drank an entire litre of that the night before Christmas Eve. To say I was suffering the next day doesn’t even come close to it. 
    Not forgetting Emva Cream and VP sherries. VP was always known to my family as “Venereal Piss”, after my old father in law christened it that one drunken Xmas. He had a knack for naming things: I used to smoke Old Holborn, he called it “horse shit and bus tickets”. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited March 2018
    Hoof said:
    Tungsten Lager
    Long Life
    K Cider
    Woodpecker Cider
    Flowers IPA
    Sapporo
    White Lightning
    Double Diamond
    Guinness Red

All three of these are currently in stock at my local Tesco - so definitely still with us.

Unfortunately the K is only available in cans, not the great matte black bottle it used to come in - and Sapporo is now in regular cans, not the brilliant one from the 90's where the ring-pull took the entire lid off.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    We were doing a bit of reminiscing about local things in the office and talking about JBs in Dudley which was, decades ago, a reasonably well known venue.* We all agreed that the only alcohol you could buy there was bottles of Newcastle brown ale. Why only that I've no idea but there's a generation of local gig goers brought up on it. 

I have some memories of Thunderbird wine and drinking it with my lovely posh girlfriend Claire. I presume it's the same stuff that ZZ Top sing about ( due to my high percentage of dead brain cells I can't recall which song...). IIRC there were two types, one stronger than the other .

* One of it's last throws ( and I think actually in a different building by then) is a live DVD recorded by Dan Baird. Why there God knows.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader

Merrydown cider, seems to be still around, no idea if it's the same but pretty it disappeared for a time. There used to be a great pub in Norwich that served it, the venue of choice for dropouts, homeless poets & hippies. Did some fair damage there.

McEwans in the original steel cans - seemed to be the only beer that tasted good out of a tin at the time. My small kitten walked on the bed at like 3am once mewing like mad. She had a magnet collar to open the cat flap - had an empty can stuck to her :)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    We were doing a bit of reminiscing about local things in the office and talking about JBs in Dudley which was, decades ago, a reasonably well known venue.* We all agreed that the only alcohol you could buy there was bottles of Newcastle brown ale. Why only that I've no idea but there's a generation of local gig goers brought up on it. 

I have some memories of Thunderbird wine and drinking it with my lovely posh girlfriend Claire. I presume it's the same stuff that ZZ Top sing about ( due to my high percentage of dead brain cells I can't recall which song...). IIRC there were two types, one stronger than the other .

* One of it's last throws ( and I think actually in a different building by then) is a live DVD recorded by Dan Baird. Why there God knows.
    **My work mate had his wedding reception there - it was strange being in there again but I have very hazy memories of it anyway due to my level of lubrication when I saw bands. I don't remember it in a different building but I wasn't super regular - Wolvo Civic took over the JBs and AV Leisure Centre sized gigs by the time I ventured out.

Red and Blue Thunderbird. Horrible stuff. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

**My work mate had his wedding reception there - it was strange being in there again but I have very hazy memories of it anyway due to my level of lubrication when I saw bands. I don't remember it in a different building but I wasn't super regular - Wolvo Civic took over the JBs and AV Leisure Centre sized gigs by the time I ventured out.

Red and Blue Thunderbird. Horrible stuff. 
    The original was, I think, on what I think is King Street quite near where they now do the driving theory tests. That was knocked down and they moved to ( Googles) Castle Hill in 1994 until it closed about ten years ago. 
    It's a somewhat vague set of memories but mine are of the original building which was a 250 capacity scout hut. Some very famous people did play there although I only really remember my mate Gary's band and Robin George ( who was a sideman for all sorts of people as well as his solo career). 
    On it's wiki page there is the story of a poorly attended Frank Sidebottom gig at which the audience had a spontaneous game of football instead of watching the band.
    Sorry, bit off topic this - in an attempt to bring it back round I assume the Newcastle brown ale only policy applied just to the older building. 
    Ahh, red and blue Thunderbird. I knew it was red and some other colour. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    boogieman said:
     I used to smoke Old Holborn, he called it “horse shit and bus tickets”. 
    IIRC them that used to prefer Golden Virginia used to say they liked a Golden Virgin not an Old Whorebag
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    In Oz last year I was drinking Carlton Light - very low on carbs.  Good stuff too.

There aren't really any low-carb gargles over here more's the pity :(   (Bud Lite is sort of, but doesn't really taste).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback