Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    1. My house. 
    2. Aeropress.
    3. Leica Disto D210.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    sticker said:

a 4 wheeled Zimmer frame/walking aid  for my Mum , she was really self conscious about being an old lady with a zimmer , but failing health and COPD meant she was running out of options . I bought her a bright blue 4 wheeled walking aid (which looks more modern than a traditional Zimmer and is therefore more acceptable to her !) which has given her the ability to walk more than a few steps .

easily the best money I've ever spent .

We bought my mom a speaking clock ( you bash the top and it tells you the time) which I think was about £15 from Argos about 10 years ago. She’s been losing her sight for many years and it’s been the best adaptation she’s had. 

Otherwise, I dunno. Really just what they represent - wedding rings, passport,etc - rather than enjoying any object in itself. If I were to grab something in the event of a house fire? Probably our late dog’s ashes. We certainly had to pay for his cremation and the urn.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Interesting thread.  Thought provoking. Got me looking round at my material possessions: my house, my car, the swiss army knife, the hipflask, even the guitars.

But they are just material possessions, more or less replaceable.  The best things I've ever bought have been experiences, I think.  So, as with others above, probably (1) the wedding ring, cos she's great; (2) the dog, cos he's great too; (3) law school tuition fees, cos they've enabled me to have an on the whole fascinating and fulfilling career, and indeed make a few quid to waste on the good things of the earth like guitars, amps, booze and holidays :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    octatonic said:
     Investment properties.
    Jesus wept.  Do you want mine?  the tenants are driving me round the freaking bend.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    edited March 2018
    Content removed, makes me sound like a dick.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    After 30 years of driving and almost a car a year, a BMW 3 litre diesel M Sport Tourer. Bags of power, simply brilliant engine, superb drive, great economy and supremely well kitted out and comfortable.

My Tokai Love Rock LS98. It's a great guitar for the dosh.

Black and Decker Workmate. I'd be knackered without it.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    The workshop, especially the dust extractor and aircon unit. It's a very happy place.

My cello - proper difficult but jolly satisfying.

Lined trousers for walking the dog in winter.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    A crappy hondo LP copy for £40 back in 82. Started me on a long road of being a mediocre guitarist who is frequently as happy as a pig in sh*t when playing at home.
    Sporky said:

Lined trousers for walking the dog in winter.
    Oh yes.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24343
    You can get them lined ??!!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    JerkMoans said:
    Interesting thread.  Thought provoking. Got me looking round at my material possessions: my house, my car, the swiss army knife, the hipflask, even the guitars.

But they are just material possessions, more or less replaceable.  The best things I've ever bought have been experiences, I think.  So, as with others above, probably (1) the wedding ring, cos she's great; (2) the dog, cos he's great too; (3) law school tuition fees, cos they've enabled me to have an on the whole fascinating and fulfilling career, and indeed make a few quid to waste on the good things of the earth like guitars, amps, booze and holidays :D

I’m with @JerkMoans - the material things can replaced. But having said that, a proper futon bed was certainly worth the money, and pound-for-pound the best value material item I’ve paid for.

Dining at some of the world’s top restaurants take some beating: Noma, Arzac, El Cellar de con Roca, Mugaritz, Del Posto, The Waterside Inn - not just the food, but the people I was with and met*, and the memories that go with each of the experience(s).

*For instance, my visit to Del Posto was the first and only time I’ve ever met someone (adjoining table, too) who shares the same birthday as me. And not just the date, but year too, so exactly same age. That was priceless.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Lodious said:
    Content removed, makes me sound like a dick.
    Wish is seen this thread earlier now!

Dishwasher. Saved my marriage.

Various cats.....kept my sanity.

Passport. Need I say more?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Emp_Fab said:
    You can get them lined ??!!
    They're all fleecy inside. 

And either soft shell or waterproof outer layer. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    A train ticket to Liverpool.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24343
    You appear to have misspelled 'from'.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Tommy Tippee steriliser
      Baby Monitor
      ear plugs

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    1. I paid for a very expensive course, it was a course that taught you how to be a body piercer. 7 years later, my life is completely different from the stressed out IT worker with no self esteem that I was at the time. I'm self employed, I meet the coolest people every day, I've made new friends from it and carry a local reputation for being one of the best at what I do. It's a long way from being the frightened guy that turned up for that course.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Emp_Fab said:
    You appear to have misspelled 'from'.
    I'm not going there for the nightlife.
    There's someone important there and I'm going to be with her soon.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Evertune bridge(s) - the best thing I've ever bought for guitar, if not music full stop.

Kingsize bed

Memory foam pillows
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    Provisional driving licence when I was 15, because I wanted to appear grown up and also wanted a motorbike. Didn't realise I'd earn money riding motorbikes, would spend years teaching others to do so and would get another part-time job driving lorries and coaches.  £10 well spent!

A coach ticket to London, bought with my 18th birthday money when I was bored and wanted out of 1980s Liverpool. The intention was to see how long £80 would last before I came home skint. There have been ups and downs, but 30 years later I haven't ran out yet. 

A Daily Mirror, bought on a rare night off in 1990 for th TV guide. It had a full page job advert which I applied for, and am still with the same employer today. The job has paid bills, mortgages and time off to enjoy my hobbies and have fun.

If we're talking material posessions, there are three thinkgs I overstretched myself to buy on credit between the ages 22 and 25, which hard work and luck meant they paid off. A brand new V-twin chopper, when I "found myself" and became a long-haired rocker. A Les Paul and 100W amplifier, which earned me more money than they cost. And a house.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom