Am I mental ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24655
    It's not over yet.  I said I haven't made a decision yet.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    And we all know you're the king of procrastination, so it could be a long job.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29137
    I think you should make your own aeroplane.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    Just had a right old laugh reading through all this.  You couldn't make it up.

All the waffle about the colour vision test - just walk into any opticians for an eye test and ask for an Ishihara.  Or do it online for free.  Takes about 30 seconds. 

A lot quicker than reading/writing this thread.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Yeah, but then we wouldn’t have had the enjoyment of this thread..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Sporky said:
    I think you should make your own aeroplane.
    As long as it has laminate flooring
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29137
    I wouldn't bet against it being laminate flooring.

I'm trying to think of a Spruce Goose related joke about this.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Sporky said:

I'm trying to think of a Spruce Goose related joke about this.
    Flew (sort of) only once and then abandoned the whole project?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

All the waffle about the colour vision test - just walk into any opticians for an eye test and ask for an Ishihara.  Or do it online for free.  Takes about 30 seconds. 

@modellista Clearly, you haven’t been reading the thread.  I fail the Ishihara pseudochromatic plates, but they are not the final test for the granting of a Class 1 medical with respect to colour vision.  Getting yet another Ishihara test done would be utterly pointless.

edited May 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

@modellista Clearly, you haven’t been reading the thread.  I fail the Ishihara pseudochromatic plates, but they are not the final test for the granting of a Class 1 medical with respect to colour vision.  Getting yet another Ishihara test done would be utterly pointless.
    Clearly your memory is failing as well as your colour perception.  You haven't mentioned the term Ishihara once in this thread.  You said something about "failing by 15%" - there was no information about what test that was, and by implication that test was a long time ago.  Even though colour deficiencies don't get better over time, they could get worse due to brunescence of the crystalline lens which could affect Ishihara performance.

Considering you're apparently considering dropping your entire savings on this flight of fancy (pun intended) one would think a new Ishihara score would be what management people call a "quick win" in giving you some important information as to the chances of success on the more specific tests. 

I would advise a new Ishihara - even if it's just online.  Your Ishihara score is important. it's not just pass/fail.  If you miss one plate, you might have a chance on the more detailed tests.  If you can't see any of the plates, you know you haven't a chance of passing the other tests as you are full red/green defective.  The other tests are just there to give those with a very mild defect a second chance.

That's assuming that this thread is anything other than another massive troll.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and it's "pseudoisochromatic", which means colours that pretend to look the same, rather than "pseudochromatic", which means something that pretends to be coloured.  Whatever that could even be.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll try and be more constructive here:

I've just seen your other thread about colour vision where by your own admission you "can't see a fucking thing on any of them [the Ishihara plates]". 

Also "I failed the Giles-Archer lantern test at the CAA Medical Centre at Gatwick by just 15%"

The Giles-Archer is, as far as I know, obsolete, having been invented in 1935, and does not appear on the CAA guidance, in fact lantern testing is specifically prohibited, presumably because it's out of date.

Note these caveats about the other two available tests: "The CAD test will only pass as colour safe, those individuals who perform as well as individuals with colour vision in the normal range on the most difficult aviation colour vision tasks" and "This test is only considered passed if the colour match shows normal trichromacy."

Ishihara has shown full well that you are not a normal trichromat, indeed to fail every single plate is uncommon and conclusive.

On the evidence here you will never be a commercial pilot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7714
    If it means you'll be too busy to post threads in OT I am fully behind this venture! ;-)
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    Well, that’s me well and truly slapped down isn’t it!  Your knowledge of colour vision is obviously quite substantial.  My apologies for my sarky tone.  I thought you were just jumping in and stating the bleedin’ obvious.

Right...  I didn’t see the caveat in the C.A.A. documentation that states the (CAD) test is “only considered passed if the colour match shows normal trichromacy”.  I’d be grateful if you could point me to the relevant section.

I actually have a book of Ishihara plates here.  I can see a few of the plates, some requiring a significant degree of guessing though.  When I had my C.A.A. tests at Gatwick, I did the Ishihara plates, then the Farnsworth D15 - which I got 100% correct, then - as was the rules back then - the Giles-Archer lantern test.  I failed that in daylight but the rules stated that I could still pass overall if I was able to get 100% in the dark after 15 minutes dark adaptation.  I got 85% of them correct.

It was purely a chance discovery recently that they ditched the lantern tests in 2010 that led me to investigate further.  I believe I have a shot at passing the ‘new’ CAD test as I am able to continually track the moving target in examples on the City University’s website.  My understanding of the C.A.A. notes were that it was a simple pass/fail of the CAD test that would clear that hurdle for me.  If that is not the case then I’m up shit creek without a paddle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The new data point about achieving 100% on D15 conflicts with the Ishihara result.  Not seeing anything on the Ishihara actually indicates "total colour blindness" on the score sheet.  Take that with a pinch of salt, but it is a significant and relatively rare result indicating a more severe colour defect than simple red-green.  Again, then being able to complete the D15 is a conflicting result.

May be worth repeating the D15 - there's an online version here.

I would also try the online version of the Anomaloscope here.

Thanks for that.  I'm still puzzled by your assertion that I need to demonstrate normal trichromacy.  The point you quoted, "This test is only considered passed if the colour match shows normal trichromacy." is referring to an anomaloscope test, not, as far as I read it, the CAD test.

My understanding is (and was at the start of this thread) that, ultimately, if I can pass the CAD test then I'm classed as colour-safe.

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    Emp_Fab said:
    Thanks for that.  I'm still puzzled by your assertion that I need to demonstrate normal trichromacy
    I think that modellista is trying to say that you need to prove that you can see and distinguish between different colours to a standard defined as normal.  I've had to do this for my last job and my current job.  I had to do the test with the numbers written with coloured dots. Have you tried that one yet?
    He’s quoting the CAA rules and the test you refer to is the Ishihara test he’s referring to.  The CAA rules permit you to fail that one but if you can pass one of the others, you’re good.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    I think the word “Ishihara” should be banned from this thread from now on. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.