What is the best guitar you have ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    I’ll give you two. For easy playing it has to be my Parker Fly Classic. Light on the shoulder, perfect neck, shame about the tone. For sound and playability it was an ES-347 TD that was on commission in Ivor Mairants a few years back. Unfortunately it needed a refret which could have detracted from both.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Pleez define 'best'
    That which is most excellent, outstanding or desirable. 
    according to which criteria?
    your own
    Exactly. 

So Phil, which guitar is it?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    A Fender Stratocaster 1965.  
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Probably because it was my first 'real' guitar, I'll have to say my Rickenbacker 4000.
    I still regret letting it go, even though I'm no longer a bassist.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    Kramer Nightswan, Still occasionaly glance through ebay/reverb on a whim for one.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    Pleez define 'best'
    Every time I read a “best” thread I want to say “define best”. In this case I take it as “what is your definition of best guitar?”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Probably a 1961 Jazzmaster - sounded unbelievable into a DRRI with a fair bit of reverb, clean and loud. Effortless to play as well. Couldn't afford it :( 

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Pleez define 'best'
    That which is most excellent, outstanding or desirable. 
    according to which criteria?
    your own
    OK, the acoustic that I like the sound of most is the Epiphone archtop I bought a few weeks ago. It is also what I think is the easiest acoustic to handle.

Electrics: the most soulful sound I got out of an electric was from the back pickup of my SA2200. The most versatile solid (sounds-wise) I ever played was my SG2000. The easiest to play was a mate's PRS just after PRS hit the market big time in the late 1980s, it just about played itself. The one I'd rather play 'cos it just feels right is my LP Std.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 19791979 Frets: 90
    My brother in law has a white Bravewood Strat, what a beautiful creation that is
    Hick81 said:
    I think I’m prone to mythologising guitars I’ve played in the past that I either didn’t buy or have let go....

I think this is a major factor. We all want what we haven't got or can't have.
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    PRS anniversary Mira, loved the neck profile and the P90s. Regret selling it when i stopped playing live, cannot afford to repace it now...  i am a twat some times (most of the time)
    edited February 2023
    I'm going to add my Gibson custom shop 57 reissue les paul special to this list. What a guitar!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9848
    A Fender Road Worn 50’s Tele. I’ve played plenty of far more expensive guitars but this is the one that sticks in my mind.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    I must have subscribed to this thread back in 2018 but I see I didn't comment.... I don't suppose I could think of the best guitar I'd ever played, and I still can't now.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was lucky enough to use an early 60s es335 in the studio a few years back, it ruined me and every guitar I have picked up since.
  • Yamaha SG1000 and a Greco Peter Frampton style LP, plus a Tokai Reborn LP. Wish I hadn’t sold those ones. I’ve had a lot of different guitars, but they are the ones I should have kept

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• My Squier Classic Vibe 70s Thinline Tele. Just so versatile and that neck fits my hand so well. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14821
    WAL Custom (mk2, I think). 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    edited February 2023
    In my head I have a couple of vintage things I played years ago that are the mythical benchmarks - the Duane Allan Strat in the Hard Rock Vault and an old Martin D18 that belongs to my first girlfriend's dad. Of course these were both 15-20 years ago so I can't compare against those brief memories at this point. 

Of things I can more objectively consider, I have 3 and I'm lucky enough to own them all - my Bourgeois Aged Tone Mahogany D, Atkin Forty Seven and Danocaster Doublecut. 

And extra credit goes to my CS-336 which is incredible but it's been with me through so much music it's basically part of me at this point.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    A very early Epiphone LP Custom in white. A phenomenal instrument that I had to sell for financial reasons. I gave it away.