Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Given that my budget is quite limited at the moment, should I pick up an EHX Calibre .44 to try out with the Axe FX into a cab, or should I continue to use my Carlsbro 60's valve PA head? It's pretty flat response, but not 100% sure it is loud enough up against our drummer and our other guitarists Laney VH. Given that... I reckon the EHX probably wont be as well.

I've only done one session with the band in a practice room. I'm still really curious about using the Axe as my "amp" in a band setting. It's brilliant for recording.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    I don't think the .44 Magnum will have enough low end for you, regardless of whether it can push enough volume (an 8 ohm cab is definitely louder than a 16 ohm cab with the Magnum).  I reckon you're best holding off until you can try something with more power.  How powerful is the Carlsbro in to your cab?
    I don't think the .44 Magnum will have enough low end for you, regardless of whether it can push enough volume (an 8 ohm cab is definitely louder than a 16 ohm cab with the Magnum).  I reckon you're best holding off until you can try something with more power.  How powerful is the Carlsbro in to your cab?
    Well it's a 100-watt amp, and it is loud. I guess I just need to try.
    edited June 2014
    I just remembered that someone did an A/B comparison with the 44 Magnum and something else, on the Sneap board.  Did a quick search to see if the clips were still there but they're gone.  Anyway, looks like you preferred the EHX to a Mesa power amp in that test

Yeah I remember that. Not exactly a scientific experiment though.
    Nope, true.  I can tell you from my own experiences the difference in low end response between the 44 Magnum and a 100 watt valve head is definitely noticeable.  I missed the low end at rehearsal last week using the 44 Magnum, but it is shouty enough and had enough volume for that situation for me.  This week we're doing a bunch of acoustic open mic nights, not playing with electric instruments as a band again until next week.  I'm going to take the Pod and the Matrix to see how that goes down on the Weds but will keep those posts in my own poor man's digital rig thread.  :))
    Just noticed that between my first and second posts you posted.  I reckon the 100 watt PA head will fare better, but the Matrix gear is all rated way above that to theoretically get closer to the response of the valve amps.  I still reckon it won't be a fair comparison until you can try out a bigger power amp than that but at least it will be a start.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    wha
    Drew_fx said:
    Given that my budget is quite limited at the moment, should I pick up an EHX Calibre .44 to try out with the Axe FX into a cab, or should I continue to use my Carlsbro 60's valve PA head? It's pretty flat response, but not 100% sure it is loud enough up against our drummer and our other guitarists Laney VH. Given that... I reckon the EHX probably wont be as well.

I've only done one session with the band in a practice room. I'm still really curious about using the Axe as my "amp" in a band setting. It's brilliant for recording.

what about trying to get hold of a Marshall 8008 poweramp..

cheap as chips [if you can find one], loud as fk, pretty flat too..

play every note as if it were your first
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah. I'm not a fan to be honest. If I'm going to do two amps, I'd rather have them both in the middle and double-track the riff instead. I've got a really nice combination of Diezel and JCM800 at the moment. Sounds fat as fook. Might switch out the JCM800 for the Friedman tonight.

are you EQing them both full range or for example taking the low end from the Diezel and the mids and highs from the JCM?
    Clarky said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Yeah. I'm not a fan to be honest. If I'm going to do two amps, I'd rather have them both in the middle and double-track the riff instead. I've got a really nice combination of Diezel and JCM800 at the moment. Sounds fat as fook. Might switch out the JCM800 for the Friedman tonight.

are you EQing them both full range or for example taking the low end from the Diezel and the mids and highs from the JCM?
    I dial them in a bit differently. So Diezel gets the mids cut, JCM800 gets the mids cranked. Bass and treble are about the same. The JCM800 is a bit lower gain than the Diezel, and then turned down a bit so that the Diezel is most of what you hear, but the JCM brings out the mids in a pleasing and slightly cleaner way.

interesting.... I actually do something similar when recording.. but I use the VH4ch3, with the Herbert ch3, and the DualRec with the 5153Red..

for live I like to use two amps through a stereo cab so my left and right sides sound similar but a little different [emulating my studio tone with the Herbert and 5153Red]...

gets me thinking though.. would I stand to gain / lose anything if I switched to using just a single amp through a stereo cab??

Only one way to find out! :)
    yup.... and that means volume... lmao
    hehehe. That's my main beef right now. I've gotta go into the practice room to try this stuff, but that takes away from why we are there in the first place. It's just easier to plug in my amp and pedalboard and play the damn songs.
    now I have the dilemma….
    do I goof around with my 1 amp / 2 cab vs 2 amp / 2 cab experiment

or

do I install my Komplete 9 update that's just arrived [all 12 disks of it] lol… 
    which was a mega bargain cos I already have Komplete 7 so it was only 60 odd squid in the NI summer sale… yaaayyyy ! !

I reckon I'd better get Komplete 9 in.. and I can goof with the Axe once I get into installing the content disks [which takes yonks]
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited June 2014
    15.01 is out.

---------------------------------

Fixed Update Amp Block functions in Utility menu only updating current state (i.e. ‘X’ or ‘Y’). 

Amp block Sat Switch now has three settings: Off, On (Auth) and On (Ideal). On (Auth) replicates authentic saturation circuit behavior and will lower the volume out of the virtual preamp. On (Ideal) replicates the idealized behavior present in Version 14.xx and earlier firmware. 

I'm on 15.01.. liking it too..
    note though that if you turn on Sat in AE, it goes to Sat [auth] note Sat [ideal]
    so until AE catches up, you need to set Sat [ideal] from the front panel

liking the Herbert with Sat [ideal].. it's a bit more 'spirited' [just as I had it pre 15.00]..
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited June 2014
    I've just realised that I shouldn't have posted it at this time.  @Clarky won't sleep tonight.  :D

Edit: Too late
  • Frm Cliff at 1:43 am BST -  
    Firmware has been removed. 15.02 will be ready in 10-20 minutes. I had the negative feedback normalization constant upside down for certain amp models.
      fun all this ain't it.. lmao
      1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom