The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2020
    STL Tones have a 40% sale, so not sure if I am reading this right, but the bundle is cheaper than 1 plugin! ...

Discount applied automatically:

FENDER DEVILLE INDIE KEMPER PACK $29.99
    MATCHLESS DC30 INDIE KEMPER PACK $17.99
    FENDER 65 TWIN VERB INDIE KEMPER PACK $29.99

COMPLETE INDIE BUNDLE $23.99 ????

https://www.stltones.com/collections/kemper-profile
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    Anyone changed from Toaster to Stage?

Toaster is great for home use, but bit of a pain for band practice use (with the remote). 

Tempted to sell the toaster and remote and buy a stage, one less thing to carry and plug in, it’ll likely cost me a couple of hundred. 

Can’t see many downsides as when I record / practice at home, I use the editor anyway to change rigs. 
    PVO_Dave said:
    Anyone changed from Toaster to Stage?

Toaster is great for home use, but bit of a pain for band practice use (with the remote). 

Tempted to sell the toaster and remote and buy a stage, one less thing to carry and plug in, it’ll likely cost me a couple of hundred. 

Can’t see many downsides as when I record / practice at home, I use the editor anyway to change rigs. 
    Toaster for home & garden, stage for out and about.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Just done my first ever recording - and used all Kemper tones. Think it was a TopJimi 68 Plexi, TopJimi PhilX 20w Greenback and an MBritt Plexi profile for the solo. 

Pretty impressed with the ease of using it - next up, I’ll try reamping...

edited July 2020
    FarleyUK said:
    Just done my first ever recording - and used all Kemper tones. Think it was a TopJimi 68 Plexi, TopJimi PhilX 20w Greenback and an MBritt Plexi profile for the solo. 
    Link doesn't work for me
  • Balls.

This noise floor.... with the digital clicking noise ... I guess it means my new Stage has a hardware fault??? Didn't someone else have this previously???

Bye!

• I just tried my Strymon DIG - set to buffered DSP bypass - in front of the kemper with the effect bypassed. And the ticking sound has gone from the Kemper.

Seems to imply some sort of buffering impedance issue at the front end, no??

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    edited August 2020
    Balls.

This noise floor.... with the digital clicking noise ... I guess it means my new Stage has a hardware fault??? Didn't someone else have this previously???
    That was me. Although the clicking was different. It was like every 12 seconds this loud ticking just cycled. I don't know what is up with yours.

I had 4. I gave the fuck up with the Stage. Two had broken switches, one had the clicking, another had the clicking and a broken input.

No faith in that product. Send it back, I hope you get one that's okay as lots do. 
  • Balls.

That was me. Although the clicking was different. It was like every 12 seconds this loud ticking just cycled. I don't know what is up with yours.

I had 4. I gave the fuck up with the Stage. Two had broken switches, one had the clicking, another had the clicking and a broken input.

No faith in that product. Send it back, I hope you get one that's okay as lots do. 
    Yeah I just watched your video. Very different issue I think. I'm hoping Andertons will swap this unit over with another one and all will be cool. Watch this space.

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10400
    Balls.

Yeah I just watched your video. Very different issue I think. I'm hoping Andertons will swap this unit over with another one and all will be cool. Watch this space.

It's very, very strange the amount of issues this product has. It's a very cool unit but I just found it unreliable.  Hope your next one is fine. 
  • Andertons sorting me out with a replacement, watch this space...

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This isn't intended as a plug in any way but my band have been recording our first couple of singles and the producer was working on a Kemper profile pack so I let him profile my 2555x Jubilee and 2536 cab to include in his pack. I get nothing from this, just thought someone may be interested. They're geared more towards heavy music and I think are more 'mix ready' as a profile. I played through the pack after I reamped all of my parts and there's some good stuff in there. Some surprisingly good clean tones!

https://www.ritualstudios.co.uk/kemperprofiles

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    New to this mega thread, please excuse the ignorance, but what are the advantages to using the s/pdif instead of just running an instrument lead from the monitor out into an interface?
  • New to this mega thread, please excuse the ignorance, but what are the advantages to using the s/pdif instead of just running an instrument lead from the monitor out into an interface?
    It's an all digital signal path when you use spdif. So fewer analog to digital and digital to analog conversions in the path. Which can be beneficial for reamping purposes in future.

But in practice, it's not such a big deal.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    New to this mega thread, please excuse the ignorance, but what are the advantages to using the s/pdif instead of just running an instrument lead from the monitor out into an interface?
    It's an all digital signal path when you use spdif. So fewer analog to digital and digital to analog conversions in the path. Which can be beneficial for reamping purposes in future.

Reamping is great  :)
  • Okay so my 2nd unit turned up. It also has the buzz/noise I posted about.

Very strange.

I didn't mention before, but if I put the Strymon DIG in front of the Kemper Stage, then my buzzing goes away. So... is this some sort of impedance issue or do I just have mad RF interference that the Kemper is more susceptible to than other bits of gear?

My valve amps don't make this noise.

Bye!

Okay so my 2nd unit turned up. It also has the buzz/noise I posted about.

Very strange.

I didn't mention before, but if I put the Strymon DIG in front of the Kemper Stage, then my buzzing goes away. So... is this some sort of impedance issue or do I just have mad RF interference that the Kemper is more susceptible to than other bits of gear?

What is you are Kemper connected to?
  • Freebird said:
    Okay so my 2nd unit turned up. It also has the buzz/noise I posted about.

Very strange.

What is you are Kemper connected to?
    My Apollo x8p audio interface. This sound is there with or without usb connection too. It's there with all my guitars.

Helix doesn't do it. My amps don't do it. Plugging directly into the soundcard and running an amp sim doesn't do it. I'm at a loss.

It's almost like the Kemper isn't shielded or something.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34008

In my experience introducing lots of different digital devices which clock in different ways is a recipe for, if not disaster, then at least a pain in the ass(ter).
    If the Kemper is the only digital device in addition to an audio interface then it is probably not too bad, but say you had a Kemper, an Axe FX III , some device that had ADAT output but no word clock- it can become problematic, particularly if you need to work in different sample rates.

I now only use three digital formats- AES/EBU, MADI and Dante and the first two are always with word clock.
    Dante doesn't need it.
    I'd preferentially use Dante over everything because it is routable.

Never use s/pdif and ADAT optical especially without word clock- it is just way too messy.
    My Axe FX III and Kemper both connect to the MTRX over analogue- the converters are good enough now that a single generation loss is inaudible.