The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• @wiresdreamdisasters interested to hear your thoughts regarding Diezel's contempt for the Kemper, with you being a fan.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice of Diezel to confirm my old Kemper is at least as good as their new flagship amp, that’ll save me a good whack of cash!

• @wiresdreamdisasters interested to hear your thoughts regarding Diezel's contempt for the Kemper, with you being a fan.
    I assume he's alluding to Diezel in the video when he talks about an amp with a screw giving you the finger if you try to profile. It wouldn't surprise me if Diezel felt that way, and I get it. I can see why it would be frustrating.

From a sample-pack production perspective.... We are legally allowed to skin up a drumkit and record it and make a sample pack. We don't have to clear it with anyone. But we're not allowed to use any marketing material without permission. We're not allowed to use any names without permission. We're not allowed to use any logos without permission. We're not allowed to use any intellectual property without permission.

The way something "sounds" is not intellectual property.

But we can do whatever the hell we want otherwise. We can set a drumkit on fire and risk 3rd degree burns for a weird sound if we wanted. I don't want to do that, that's more of a Spectrasonics thing ;)

We do try to reach out to manufacturers and come up with deals that are mutually beneficial. 

So back to Kemper.

I think it's a phenomenal product myself. It has saved my ass a number of times over the years. I don't personally own one right now, but I do own 2 Diezels, an Orange, and a VHT at the moment. But my mate and colleague does, and he loves it. We've used it on a lot of the work stuff, on a lot of personal stuff too, and it's recently saved the TNBD album on one track when some recordings got corrupted and I had to re-record.

I think people will always buy amps. There is something magical about them.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I assume he's alluding to Diezel in the video when he talks about an amp with a screw giving you the finger if you try to profile. It wouldn't surprise me if Diezel felt that way, and I get it. I can see why it would be frustrating.

From a sample-pack production perspective.... We are legally allowed to skin up a drumkit and record it and make a sample pack. We don't have to clear it with anyone. But we're not allowed to use any marketing material without permission. We're not allowed to use any names without permission. We're not allowed to use any logos without permission. We're not allowed to use any intellectual property without permission.

The way something "sounds" is not intellectual property.

But we can do whatever the hell we want otherwise. We can set a drumkit on fire and risk 3rd degree burns for a weird sound if we wanted. I don't want to do that, that's more of a Spectrasonics thing ;)

We do try to reach out to manufacturers and come up with deals that are mutually beneficial. 

So back to Kemper.

I think it's a phenomenal product myself. It has saved my ass a number of times over the years. I don't personally own one right now, but I do own 2 Diezels, an Orange, and a VHT at the moment. But my mate and colleague does, and he loves it. We've used it on a lot of the work stuff, on a lot of personal stuff too, and it's recently saved the TNBD album on one track when some recordings got corrupted and I had to re-record.

I think people will always buy amps. There is something magical about them.
    Good answer, I agree!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    New drives coming in next OS release!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Freebird said:
    Who said that?!

Bye!

edited July 2020
    Freebird said:
    Who said that?!
    Kemper support according to somebody on the forum. We know that private betas run for a couple of weeks before going public, so we should see them in the next beta update?

Update: The post has been removed from the forum.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Who said that?!
    Kemper support according to somebody on the forum. We know that private betas run for a couple of weeks before going public, so we should see them in the next beta update?

TBF, @WiresDreamDisasters basically confirmed it as well.....
  • Bye!

FarleyUK said:
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Who said that?!

TBF, @WiresDreamDisasters basically confirmed it as well.....
    Yep, he confirmed "something", but I had to fill in the blanks  :)
    If any get any trouble off Mr Kemper I am going to blame you!
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    There’s still something about it on the forum. Exciting times. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    pedalo said:
    There’s still something about it on the forum. Exciting times. 
    Ah, so it's reconfirmed (again!). I wonder if they will be tweakable blocks with presets or individually modelled pedals?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11545
    Before we jump ahead to the drives, does anyone know when the full release with the acoustic simulator is likely?
    edited July 2020
    crunchman said:
    Before we jump ahead to the drives, does anyone know when the full release with the acoustic simulator is likely?
     There is a new updated beta with some enhancements to the acoustic simulator. I'm guessing we will see a full release when the drives appear in a public beta?
    I’ve tried recording via spdif for the first time and.... it’s not sounding great. Here’s a post I put on the Kemper forum  - if anyone here can give any advice is really appreciate it!

Bare with me on this, it's the first time I've tried recording...!

I've got a Focusrite 6i6 2nd Gen interface, and am running Studio one v5. I have the Kemper connected via SPDIF to the interface, and the audio settings configured accordingly within Studio one. I wanted to try re-amping, so have the left channel on one strip and the right channel on another. SPDIF output set to Studio Git.

However... the Kemper sounds pretty bad when trying to record this way. The only way I can describe it is fizzy and compressed; it sounds much more open and 'responsive' if I connect the headphones directly to the Kemper itself. 

Is this likely just the interface colouring the sound? Are there any settings I need to ensure I've set within Studio One or the Focusrite software? It sounds very much the same when playing the track back via my speakers (home stereo connected to the laptop, so I know not ideal, but the guitar tracks are very compressed, overly gainy and mushy). 

Plugins (Neural and Helix Native) sound fantastic - but I really want to use the Kemper for recording as well. I'll attempt the whole reamping stuff once I've got the sound sorted...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34008
    edited July 2020
    @FarleyUK ;
    What cable are you using to connect your Kemper to your interface?
    Is it a digital s/pdif (75 Ohm) cable?

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    As per @octatonic ’s post above, you need a decent/suitable cable, could hear clicking and all sorts before getting the right lead
    edited July 2020
    Cheers guys - I'm using this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D5H8VR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

However - I have a couple of thicker and shorter cables I'll test with as well.

UPDATE - Yep, it was the cable. D'oh. Is there a recommended SPDIF cable to use with the Kemper? The one I have that works is very short and doesn't fit snugly in the Kemper.

UPDATE #2: Just tried a Kabeldirect digital RCA cable, which is 3 metres long, and that works a treat. Sounded a lot more treble-y than via the Kemper though.... and then realised of course it will as it's sending the STACK output to the right SPDIF channel, so is ignoring the studio EQ block I always use after the stack section. Double d'oh!

Now.... how the chuff do you re-amp? And is it better to record with the delay and reverb as a wet track...?
    edited July 2020
    FarleyUK said:y
    Cheers guys - I'm using this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D5H8VR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

However - I have a couple of thicker and shorter cables I'll test with as well.

UPDATE - Yep, it was the cable. D'oh. Is there a recommended SPDIF cable to use with the Kemper? The one I have that works is very short and doesn't fit snugly in the Kemper.
    I got mine from Designacable (via eBay), and I went for 1m cables.

https://www.designacable.com/spdif-digital-audio-video-coaxial-cable-rca-to-rca-van-damme-75ohm-coax-phono.html