The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUK said:
    I still have yet to find any profiles that better the TopJimi Caswell ones, personally.

I've also been spending a fair amount of time with Helix Native - and it just makes me wish Kemper had a VST version that could be used. Helix is good, but Kemper is another level IMO.

Will be interesting if the Neural Quad Cortex can de-throne it later this year....
    I have some TopJimi profiles which came with my second hand stage. I’ll definitely take a look. Have you used any of those profiles live @FarleyUK, how do they translate cranked up loud through a PA?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    FarleyUK said:
    I still have yet to find any profiles that better the TopJimi Caswell ones, personally.

I've also been spending a fair amount of time with Helix Native - and it just makes me wish Kemper had a VST version that could be used. Helix is good, but Kemper is another level IMO.

Will be interesting if the Neural Quad Cortex can de-throne it later this year....
    I have some TopJimi profiles which came with my second hand stage. I’ll definitely take a look. Have you used any of those profiles live @FarleyUK, how do they translate cranked up loud through a PA?
    Yep, I use his Caswell AFD as my main profile (HIGH and HIGH 2, depending on if I want v30s or Greenbacks). Sound fantastic - I highly recommend them!
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    I’m not sure if I’ve (or someone else) has mentioned it before, but I’d also recommend the Bert Meulendijk profiles too. I use them pretty much exclusively but I’m gonna grab the new Michael Britt ones too and give them a test run
  • paul_xt said:
    I’m not sure if I’ve (or someone else) has mentioned it before, but I’d also recommend the Bert Meulendijk profiles too. I use them pretty much exclusively but I’m gonna grab the new Michael Britt ones too and give them a test run
    I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the Bert Meulendijk profiles are more geared towards recording. I may be wrong so if I am I apologise. But in my experience once you get those kind of profiles up to gig volume blasting through a PA they can be very bright and harsh in the top end. The M Britt profiles seem more controlled in that respect.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532
    paul_xt said:
    I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the Bert Meulendijk profiles are more geared towards recording. I may be wrong so if I am I apologise. But in my experience once you get those kind of profiles up to gig volume blasting through a PA they can be very bright and harsh in the top end. The M Britt profiles seem more controlled in that respect.

I've been doing some recording recently and finding all the profiles I play through most of the time do sound a bit dark.  I'm realising that you do need a good amount of top end to cut through a mix.
    I purchased the 2020 pack from M Britt yesterday..... and then realised I'd already purchased it back in April.

FFS!
  • FarleyUK said:
    I purchased the 2020 pack from M Britt yesterday..... and then realised I'd already purchased it back in April.

FFS!
    Whoops. 

Here is a question. Has anyone on the forum ever profiled any presets from another modeller?

I’ve noticed some of the vendors that sell profiles offer Fractal profiles.

I think it would be interesting to profile my old Helix preset.

Does anyone on the Forum have both a Helix and a Kemper and would be up for doing this for me? I could pay for the service. 

I could email through my Helix preset and the IR I used to use.
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    paul_xt said:
    I’ve only ever had positive comments when I’ve played live using them, and never found them to be harsh. I guess it’s like everything else, a matter of opinion. I’d definitely give them a try though - he’s an awesome guy too.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    Tone Junkie's new Mesa California Tweed pack is kinda cool (think there might be some free rigs available?) - definitely has the vibe of the Cali Tweed you see sitting next to me looking on jealous...

edited May 2020
    There's something about Tone Junkie that just irritates me. Maybe because he always seems so smug - maybe it's the stupid man-child baseball cap.

Great vids on YouTube though (and still nowhere near as self-righteous as Chad Boston with his Helix and Fractal stuff).
  • FarleyUK said:
    There's something about Tone Junkie that just irritates me. Maybe because he always seems so smug - maybe it's the stupid man-child baseball cap.

Great vids on YouTube though (and still nowhere near as self-righteous as Chad Boston with his Helix and Fractal stuff).
    Spot on. The "hello, my name is HW" triggers me...as if those initials roll off the toungue moreso than just saying his name!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 169
    Still loving the Kemper after all these years, especially as they’ve just about sorted the rig manager issues and the OS seems stable. I have a DI box on the way this week so looking forward to making some DI profiles of my Carol-Ann. 
    @Fiftyshadesofjay could you let me know how that goes with your DI box? I'm thinking of picking one up also to DI profile my JMP 2203 as well as some borrowed amps. 

Cheers,
    Darren 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    I bought the Michael Britt 2020 pack last night (on offer c £21).  Only had a quick try but very promising.
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 517
    FarleyUK said:

Spot on. The "hello, my name is HW" triggers me...as if those initials roll off the toungue moreso than just saying his name!
    You’re spot on haha. Youtube is an annoying place.

Going back to the profiles, as @FarleyUK says the Top Jimi stuff is next level. I think for me I enjoyed them as they perhaps felt the most ‘amp in the room’? I don’t know what mics he uses but all of his profiles for me felt great to play and sounded good through a Laney LFR-112. I’ve since ditched the Kemper but I’ll miss the Caswell AFD pack and the AFD100 #34 High profiles. His Friedman BE-100 profile was hard to beat too... gunna miss those profiles!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    FarleyUK said:

Well said JT  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1440
    edited May 2020
    Darren said:
    Still loving the Kemper after all these years, especially as they’ve just about sorted the rig manager issues and the OS seems stable. I have a DI box on the way this week so looking forward to making some DI profiles of my Carol-Ann. 
    @Fiftyshadesofjay could you let me know how that goes with your DI box? I'm thinking of picking one up also to DI profile my JMP 2203 as well as some borrowed amps. 

Cheers,
    Darren 
    @Darren just had a little test earlier and it’s very impressive. I reckon most people wouldn’t notice which one was the real amp if you AB’d. I’m going to do some proper DI profiles tomorrow.

I did try it with a cheap Behringer DI and this is much better.

I still think £80 for a passive DI box is a bit rich but there’s no denying it works as it should and gives you easy accurate results and you can’t ask more than that.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    edited May 2020
    Pleased to be joining the digital family after getting my brand new unit on Thursday. The first one I got was ex-demo from a certain retailer and it was faulty! 3 weeks of sorting out returns/refund then I went to a different retailer and my new unit was delivered 2 days ago. Not spent too much time on it but the profiles sure as hell sound just like a real amp!

Mainly been playing the high gain ones 5150/Mesa Dual Rec etc but found some great clean amps today, one is based off a Fender Deluxe I think and I have a nice crunch amp (Matchbox I think). Have even used the performance mode to create some "banks" or performances with 3-4 different rigs. So cool being able to switch amp sound on the fly.

Still a lot to explore and figure out in terms of monitors and direct outputs (using it with a 1x12 cabinet) but I'm loving it so far. I don't think I'm going to ever play a tube amp again!

Now to find a good hardcase to transport it around...
  • I don't think I'm going to ever play a tube amp again!
    There's those famous last words we've all used! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    I don't think I'm going to ever play a tube amp again!
    Haha I still have my Marshall DSL5 combo but it just doesn't compare to the JCM800 profile that's on there, one A5 power chord ring out is enough for me to choose.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I don't think I'm going to ever play a tube amp again!
    So true! Happy Kemper day, they are amazing bits of kit. Killed GAS for me for years, but when it came back it came back hard!