The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    FarleyUK said:

Just updated to this version..... and the effect block lock function still does not work.

I loaded a performance slot in RM. Then, I navigated to a rig in my library and locked the DELAY and REVERB blocks. Went back to the performance slots, selected another performance slot and the DELAY and REVERB blocks were the ones on that slot, NOT the ones I locked from the rig.

Have you reported it to Kemper?  That's really the point of Beta testing.

Kemper don't seem to be the only ones with issues:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    crunchman said:
    FarleyUK said:

Just updated to this version..... and the effect block lock function still does not work.

I loaded a performance slot in RM. Then, I navigated to a rig in my library and locked the DELAY and REVERB blocks. Went back to the performance slots, selected another performance slot and the DELAY and REVERB blocks were the ones on that slot, NOT the ones I locked from the rig.

Have you reported it to Kemper?  That's really the point of Beta testing.

Kemper don't seem to be the only ones with issues:

Yep.

I think a large part of the issue is that Kemper have never clarified how they envisage the editing and management of performances to work in Rig Manager 3 - so everyone is potentially using it in a way they didn't account for.
    For those who are downloading the beta versions, there was another one went up yesterday.
    crunchman said:
    For those who are downloading the beta versions, there was another one went up yesterday.
    ....which still hasn't fixed the block locking issue, and now deletes random rigs when you load the profiler.

Good work, Kemper!
  • This thread depresses me
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    This thread depresses me
    Kemper is depressing me right now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    This thread depresses me
    I’ve just bought a helix to see if I can get my tone on that... since I updated the rig manager I’ve just found the thing frustratingly unusable, there are just so many annoying glitches and quirks that when I try and sit down to refine a rig or build a performance I just give up. Love the tones from the Kemper, second to none, but hate the unit and software and it’s too big a thing to put up with.

that being said if the helix can’t come close then I’ll have to put up with it

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• FarleyUK said:
    This thread depresses me
    I’ve just bought a helix to see if I can get my tone on that... since I updated the rig manager I’ve just found the thing frustratingly unusable, there are just so many annoying glitches and quirks that when I try and sit down to refine a rig or build a performance I just give up. Love the tones from the Kemper, second to none, but hate the unit and software and it’s too big a thing to put up with.

I can tell you from experience, the Helix will not come close.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    This thread depresses me

I can tell you from experience, the Helix will not come close.  
    Have to agree. In my experience - I owned the Helix at launch, and now have a HX Stomp as a back-up rig - the Helix can sound good, but the feel and dynamics are nowhere near as good as the Kemper.

However, the interface and the editor are so much more usable.

I know RM3 is a beta, but I found it astonishing Kemper are seemingly not testing these releases. There's now lots of reports of it deleting people's rigs.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2020

Why would you get rid of something just because of beta software that is still under development? My Kemper works brilliantly when running the latest stable firmware, you should try it 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Freebird said:

Why would you get rid of something just because of beta software that is still under development? My Kemper works brilliantly when running the latest stable firmware, you should try it 
    Because it seems that Kemper are self destructing in spectacular fashion at the moment and have dropped the ball so badly that people are exploring other avenues
    edited February 2020
    sweepy said:
    Freebird said:

Because it seems that Kemper are self destructing in spectacular fashion at the moment and have dropped the ball so badly that people are exploring other avenues
    Just wait for them to pick the ball back up again. Fractal stopped developing new firmware for the FX8 Mk2 9 months after they released it. They promised to update it for a number of years requesting that users be patient, and then they quietly discontinued the product, and they can't even get the replacement FM3 working. At least Kemper are still paying attention to their Profiler Amp more that 8 years after they released the it, and the latest stable firmware is a recent release. I have faith in Kemper that they will sort out these current beta version problems, and ultimately we will have a better product with further development continuing into the future. That is quite amazing and almost unprecedented for a tech product released in 2011, and all updates are free to the user.
  • Yeah, I think as nice as it would be to have an editor it's clear it's not ready at all yet. I'm going back to the stable releases and try and forget all this ever happened
    edited February 2020
    If you are willing to use the latest stable release, the Kemper works fine.  Yes, it's more cumbersome to manually organise performances on the device than to do it on a computer, but it does work.

I find myself using the same favourite rigs all the time anyway.  Once I've got it set up, the ability to edit performances from my PC won't matter anyway.

Kemper haven't handled the beta releases well, but they are beta releases.  I've never put a beta on mine.  I wait for the stable release.
  • Freebird said:

The beta software is just the straw that broke the camels back. I’ve been having doubts about my need for the Kemper for some time now, I have a Kemper rig worth a considerable amount of money and I use one tone, hardly any of the built in effects and simply don’t have the need for what the Kemper has to offer. I’m exploring one of the cheaper helix options as a way to recoup some money mainly, but also if I can find my ‘one tone’ in that then I simply won’t miss anything else the Kemper has to offer. I really don’t like how the Kemper handles drive pedals and the inbuilt ones are cack in my opinion but apparently the helix handles that better.

i find the Kemper restrictive in a number of ways. Firstly I’m very picky about my cab/mic sound and in an ideal world I’d use the same IR for everything but a lot of the profiles I like the feel of are studio profiles and switching the cab out on those doesn’t always work (probably why I only use one sound). I also find the remote layout pretty naff and always press the wrong button. I only use my Kemper live and I feel like it’s a better studio tool than it is a live tool. Obviously profiles are taken at certain gain stages and EQs so finding one that is exact is difficult and I don’t feel the EQ responds in an amp like way (not to say that the helix does, I guess I’ll find that out). I also got it so I could get ‘exact tones’ as I was a bit naive... I got the Top Jimi Caswell AFD amp and had fun for a few days jamming Appetite For Destruction but quickly realised I only wanted my tone, which isn’t that. I got a load of profiles meant to sound like certain artists and use none of them. I don’t even use a separate profile for clean, I just roll back. I use it exactly as I would a single channel amp, only I like the fact I can actually get sag and saturation at any volume and I’m sold on digital in that respect.

if they made a small pedal capable of holding one profile as an amp pedal then I’d get it, I use the rest of it that little, so with that in mind I just want to see if I can cash in on all of the features I’ve paid for that I don’t use... I suspect I’ve been spoilt and the helix won’t come close enough, but that’s why I bought used and will try and sell for what I paid for it if I don’t like it.

The software is just an indicator of company priorities and I don’t really want so much money tied up in a clueless company with such little regard for their customers either... but if it comes out on top tone wise I’ll just have to dance with the devil a little longer.

• Freebird said:

The beta software is just the straw that broke the camels back. I’ve been having doubts about my need for the Kemper for some time now, I have a Kemper rig worth a considerable amount of money and I use one tone, hardly any of the built in effects and simply don’t have the need for what the Kemper has to offer. I’m exploring one of the cheaper helix options as a way to recoup some money mainly, but also if I can find my ‘one tone’ in that then I simply won’t miss anything else the Kemper has to offer. I really don’t like how the Kemper handles drive pedals and the inbuilt ones are cack in my opinion but apparently the helix handles that better.

i find the Kemper restrictive in a number of ways. Firstly I’m very picky about my cab/mic sound and in an ideal world I’d use the same IR for everything but a lot of the profiles I like the feel of are studio profiles and switching the cab out on those doesn’t always work (probably why I only use one sound). I also find the remote layout pretty naff and always press the wrong button. I only use my Kemper live and I feel like it’s a better studio tool than it is a live tool. Obviously profiles are taken at certain gain stages and EQs so finding one that is exact is difficult and I don’t feel the EQ responds in an amp like way (not to say that the helix does, I guess I’ll find that out). I also got it so I could get ‘exact tones’ as I was a bit naive... I got the Top Jimi Caswell AFD amp and had fun for a few days jamming Appetite For Destruction but quickly realised I only wanted my tone, which isn’t that. I got a load of profiles meant to sound like certain artists and use none of them. I don’t even use a separate profile for clean, I just roll back. I use it exactly as I would a single channel amp, only I like the fact I can actually get sag and saturation at any volume and I’m sold on digital in that respect.

if they made a small pedal capable of holding one profile as an amp pedal then I’d get it, I use the rest of it that little, so with that in mind I just want to see if I can cash in on all of the features I’ve paid for that I don’t use... I suspect I’ve been spoilt and the helix won’t come close enough, but that’s why I bought used and will try and sell for what I paid for it if I don’t like it.

The software is just an indicator of company priorities and I don’t really want so much money tied up in a clueless company with such little regard for their customers either... but if it comes out on top tone wise I’ll just have to dance with the devil a little longer.
    Similar to my reasons for quitting. Good luck with it all, Chris. I've got a JCM800 on the way, you're welcome to come by and try it with my load box setup one day.

• Thanks @Jonathanthomas83 ! I love your setup but live I just couldn't be bothered with it. I also think the nuances between the gear that make one thing better than another would be negligible in a club. I doubt I'd tell the difference between your JCM800 with a load box, a JCM800 profile or the 800 on the Helix in a club or pub. Undoubtedly there'd be a difference in the studio but I only use my gear live and this is what is driving me to think about simplifying things and saving a little money. I do actually switch profiles live for a couple of the heavier songs - I switch to a PRS MT15 which is a totally different amp to the modded 800 I'm using for the rest of the set but I forgot to switch back for one of the songs and didn't notice until the end of the song when I looked at the floor. Subtleties are lost in that environment so why pay extra for a subtle improvement I'll never hear? That's my thinking anyway... I suspect I'll end up keeping both the Kemper and the Helix because I'm an idiot

• Thanks @Jonathanthomas83 ! I love your setup but live I just couldn't be bothered with it. I also think the nuances between the gear that make one thing better than another would be negligible in a club. I doubt I'd tell the difference between your JCM800 with a load box, a JCM800 profile or the 800 on the Helix in a club or pub. Undoubtedly there'd be a difference in the studio but I only use my gear live and this is what is driving me to think about simplifying things and saving a little money. I do actually switch profiles live for a couple of the heavier songs - I switch to a PRS MT15 which is a totally different amp to the modded 800 I'm using for the rest of the set but I forgot to switch back for one of the songs and didn't notice until the end of the song when I looked at the floor. Subtleties are lost in that environment so why pay extra for a subtle improvement I'll never hear? That's my thinking anyway... I suspect I'll end up keeping both the Kemper and the Helix because I'm an idiot
    100% agree with you. It'd be a ball ache live. Sorry, we've spoken about this before and I should've remembered. Good luck with it!

edited February 2020

Fair enough, you can't argue with that. I only use my Kemper at home for recording, and it's perfect for that having so many amps to choose from. If I played live I'd probably use a real amp. Thanks for the info.
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 517
    edited February 2020
    Freebird said:

Fair enough, you can't argue with that. I only use my Kemper at home for recording, and it's perfect for that having so many amps to choose from. If I played live I'd probably use a real amp. Thanks for the info.
    Truth be told I'd rather use an amp and have done so in the past. I love the simplicity and rawness. I've had a JCM800, 900, Silver Jubilee, JVM, DSL50, Blackstar, Orange, Egnater... and many more but I don't think I'm yet to play a venue where I have been able to hit the amps sweet spot, and add to that the weight and you see why I got the Kemper in the first place. I'm totally sold on digital for someone playing the venues I'm playing; the tone, and more importantly the consistency of the tone is exceptional, as is the weight. Getting a Laney LFR112 was a game-changer for me as it gave me an amp like feel and response using studio profiles which I never got from a PA speaker. (Although the weight is frankly annoying)

You are absolutely right about it being stupid to get rid just because of software though, I agree with that, but it is more multi-faceted than that which I didn't initially allude to. But if I were mainly home recording like yourself I would keep the Kemper for sure, it is an exceptional piece of kit. But most of the guitarists I share the bill with have Spiders... I feel like I'm bringing the death star to a thumb war!