The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    frankus said:
    frankus said:
    It really depends on the extent to which mdphillips is prepared to contest... which we don't know.

I'm just pointing out a risk given the unmeasured phrasing and new cyber-bullying laws - I'm not exploring the likelihood.

Not really. When confronted with a straight yes or no question as to whether from what you would rate his worked you first acted dumb as if you could not understand a simple question then when it was re-iterated you swerved the it.

How did I swerve it?
    I'd like to know ... and for the record that "acting dumb" was me asking for the comment to be phrased clearly - when someone else obliged I answered it immediately and (to my understanding directly) ... in fact far from swerve it - I bloody well stated what one of you clowns should have figured out.

Club together, buy one, then you've a mandate to feedback and can gain a full opinion based on facts and not photos. It's how it's done on the pedal forums (so you don't need to take issue with it being my idea) and it works.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    edited April 2014
    It is all a bit ridiculous now.

Seriously Frank, you're moving this into territory that is unhelpful and contentious.
    I'll be back if the thread returns to the topic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    octatonic;204020" said:
    It is all a bit ridiculous now.

Seriously Frank, you're moving this into territory that is unhelpful and contentious.
    I'll be back if the thread returns to the topic.

@octatonic , that sounds very pompous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    frankus said:
    AlanP said:
    frankus said:
    I'd like you to speak to his skill as a guitar repairer/modifier, leaving aside the way in which we are going about that.
    Willing to go on the record?
    I don't understand what that means, please clarify.
    I think he is asking you to say whether you think Mark does a good job, or not...
    I dunno, I've seen photos... I like the tele neck pickup... I'm interested in the idea... I've got big hands... I've modded and made guitars myself, I don't get the whole pristine schtick with guitars.. so I wouldn't mind the rough edges - if I weren't left handed I'd say I was this forums best shot at an impartial tester, most capable of giving genuine feedback at a level that might be productive.

We could...
    How did I swerve it?
    I think a "yes" or a "no" was probably what we were looking for...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AlanP said:
    I think a "yes" or a "no" was probably what we were looking for...

silly them.
    It's really simple...

buy one of these things - I'll put in £20.

buy one of the agrieved dude's from here.. help a brother out at the same time, why not.

pass it about - have some physical basis for judgement.

all the assertions about his work are based on looking at photos and predicting what it should be based off the photo, not holding it and confirming that.

It's not scientific.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I really welcomed the idea of the OP joining in here.  There are obviously many here (I will admit myself included) who have 'issues' with some of his work.  It would be great to actually be able to discuss that and move this forwards.  I have a feeling that MDP might be laughing his socks off if he is reading all this in-bickering.  Should this thread be closed if it just isn't contributing to it's original purpose?

Just how I feel reading this right now, sorry.
  • frankus said:
    It's really simple...

buy one of these things - I'll put in £20.

buy one of the agrieved dude's from here.. help a brother out at the same time, why not.

pass it about - have some physical basis for judgement.

all the assertions about his work are based on looking at photos and predicting what it should be based off the photo, not holding it and confirming that.

It's not scientific.
    It's not scientific? Are you suggesting that the highly skilled techs and luthiers here cannot determine whether a guitar is a dogs dinner from photographic evidence when that evidence is clear?

edited April 2014
    Are you suggesting that the highly skilled techs and luthiers blah blah

No I was clearly stating that.

History is rife with iconoclasts and innovation being stifled by recieved wisdom - I'd prefer to think the people I admire weren't so dogmatic.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Richardj said:
     I have a feeling that MDP might be laughing his socks off if he is reading all this in-bickering.
    What makes you think he'd bother to come back here even to lurk?

I think you blew your chance.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7386
    Richardj said:
      Should this thread be closed if it just isn't contributing to it's original purpose?

No. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11140
    tFB Trader
    funstuie said:

Lexie1 said:
    funstuie said:
    I have a Kay/Satellite made in Japan "Les Paul" which is a piece of shit. It's the worst guitar ever made. I am willing to send it for free to anyone who thinks they can make a good guitar out of it for a beginner. 
    I don't mind taking that on if you like (assuming it has a straight ... ie not laterally warped neck) and do a photo log.
    At the end I suggest we auction it in benefit of forum funds.
    If nothing else this thread (and it's cousin) will have given the board some dosh.
    in my haste I got a bit mixed up. It's actually an Avon (made in Japan) Les Paul. Not sure if it's worth the effort as its a bit battered up. It's probably worth more as a relic than anything else. But having said that I am still willing to post it out to someone to do up/repair/make good. 

The offer's there ... happy to do something for forum funds ... it'll get it fitted with Oil City pickups if you want me do do it. As it's a relic from the seventies I'd suggest a pair of my new  ... er ... how can I say this without cheesing off Larry ... lets see ... super could be replaced by hyper (similar thing) distortion by bending (again similar) just for an exercise like this ... Hyper Bender pickups :)
    And no Jon, they won't actually end up being called that.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    How about calling them the Super Larrys? ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11140
    tFB Trader

impmann said:
    Is it just me or does that sound like a euphemism for 'nice boobs'?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

impmann said:
    You could call them super boobs then....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

impmann said:
    I agree this does make it a most suitable name for anything going into a guitar (especially if they come in pairs).
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Feck me.

Let's do a sponsored fight club, all proceeds towards the legal bill

My money's on Frankus
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31967
    frankus said:
    I'm not supporting this guy - I'm trying to see the good in the people on this forum - else why bother coming here?
    Exactly my stance  -  and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

I hoped this forum was a little more civilised than others, and indeed it is in the main, but I've gloomily perused ten pages of schoolyard nonsense and won't be opening this thread again.

It takes the same form as any other cliquey display of almost-bullying, the big guns (ie, the knowledgeable, experienced luthiers and techs) entering a reasoned, logical debate, while their less-knowledgeable, sniping little arselickers pile on with all the "Yeah, see? My mate says you're a knob" stuff just to feel part of the group.

This place is above all that usually, it's well-moderated and friendly, but unfortunately the two threads about this Mark guy are probably the most active on here which is more than a little depressing tbh.

:(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7386
    It's because everyone really wants a sideshow :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    edited April 2014
    stupid weird forum formatting