The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    funstuie said:

Lexie1 said:
    funstuie said:
    I have a Kay/Satellite made in Japan "Les Paul" which is a piece of shit. It's the worst guitar ever made. I am willing to send it for free to anyone who thinks they can make a good guitar out of it for a beginner. 
    I don't mind taking that on if you like (assuming it has a straight ... ie not laterally warped neck) and do a photo log.
    At the end I suggest we auction it in benefit of forum funds.
    If nothing else this thread (and it's cousin) will have given the board some dosh.
    in my haste I got a bit mixed up. It's actually an Avon (made in Japan) Les Paul. Not sure if it's worth the effort as its a bit battered up. It's probably worth more as a relic than anything else. But having said that I am still willing to post it out to someone to do up/repair/make good. 

The offer's there ... happy to do something for forum funds ... it'll get it fitted with Oil City pickups if you want me do do it. As it's a relic from the seventies I'd suggest a pair of my new  ... er ... how can I say this without cheesing off Larry ... lets see ... super could be replaced by hyper (similar thing) distortion by bending (again similar) just for an exercise like this ... Hyper Bender pickups :)
    And no Jon, they won't actually end up being called that.
    Alright PM me the address details and I will get it out to you next week. You already have my details as you sent me a Firewatch P90 the other day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited April 2014
    There are threads about him on other guitar forums,just like this.
    The quality of his work is a joke,but if he likes it and enjoys his modded guitars .Thats fine
    The real problem is he's selling overpriced shite and taking advantage of people who know nothing about guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    I'd like to know what the bejesus is going on here?  Could be the picture next to the definition of 'botch-job' in the dictionary.

And this lovely headstock.  Pure class. 

As someone else commented, this looks like Shane MacGowan's teeth. 

What's the excuse for this botch-jobed-ness?

Disgraceful work, and disgraceful attitude (I'm also going with Dunning Kruger), and a shame poor naive people are losing money (and probably the will to learn how to play guitar) to this delusional cowboy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread has gone a bit Apocalypse Now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    I love the smell of over-filed plastic in the morning.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    So who's Willard in this?

Who's Colonel Kurtz?

And who's the Dennis Hopper mad photographer character?

You know, one day this thread's gonna end...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    So who's Willard in this?

Wasn't that the dog in Eastenders?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Only if Martin Sheen played him.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248

I've not been particularly interested in this whole thing to be honest, whether he's this that or the other until I just saw those three pictures.

2 observations

1. That's one of the worst pieces of craftsmanship I've seen on anything. ever

2. If he can sell those he should get salesman of the world award, in fact he should work for UK trade & export selling the stuff no-one else can.

I've genuinely gone from couldn't care less,  maybe even a slight view to leave the guy alone to quite speechless. Preferable tool of the trade looks to a be an angle grinder. Actually started laughing at picture three....thanks fuck he's not a dentist is all I can say

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    "As someone else commented, this looks like Shane MacGowan's teeth"

.....Makes Shane MacGowan's teeth look perfect! 
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Would ANYONE on this forum buy one of his guitars ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10414
    And so the story begins.

Again.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Would ANYONE on this forum buy one of his guitars ?
    The only people who would buy one of his guitars after seeing those photos is someone with no knowledge of guitars, or a recent starter who mistakenly believes the reason they struggle is that the strings are too close together (never mind that Hendrix had HUGE mitts). I'd wager most get played for a couple of days until the player gives up on it, then put under a bed where they'll stay. There is nothing scandalous about that statement, no legal issue - I would defend that in court very quickly and easily. 

This chap means well as far as he believes he is making guitars function to a specific brief. That doesn't mean he's right, and he is clearly never going to accept help in improving his process.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

image :-O

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10414
    ^ That proper made me chuckle Mike.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Excellent.

Genuine questions for the OP.

How does the guitar shown hold a) tune, b) intonation?

Why are the strings not in the slots on the bridge?

Why are there saddles missing?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Jim54 said:
    I'd like to know what the bejesus is going on here?  Could be the picture next to the definition of 'botch-job' in the dictionary.

And this lovely headstock.  Pure class. 

As someone else commented, this looks like Shane MacGowan's teeth. 

What's the excuse for this botch-jobed-ness?

Disgraceful work, and disgraceful attitude (I'm also going with Dunning Kruger), and a shame poor naive people are losing money (and probably the will to learn how to play guitar) to this delusional cowboy.

That is the worst quality of workmanship I have seen, ever anywhere. Anybody who buys that must be a complete jockstrap. Some fingerpickers do have wide necked guitars made for them (Lindsey Buckingham springs to mind) but the people who made them tended to have bridges made and stuff.

I would also note that people on here are generally very respectful of well done work. Only luthiers who had issues with business practise ever got shite on here. The fact is that people like Ash, Van Hayden, Jayden Rose ect are very much respected, and a quick look at the making and modding section very clearly shows that people here know what they are talking about.

Their is absolutely no doubt at all that the person who did that to those poor guitars has no idea what so ever with regards to the subject of guitars. Moreover if they think they do they are clearly delusional. A look at that could make me want a Telecaster and Zap want a JEM. You would have to be seriously delusional to countenance even thinking that what has been doe to those guitars is somehow a good idea.

That said in the spirit of being nice.  

1) Just buy a pre cut classical guitar nut. They are wider and you wont need to use a drill (That is what you used, no?) to make the slots.

2) In fact don´t. Either get some training and read some books or just give up. What you are doing is unethical, ridiculous and stupid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967

mike_l said:

Excellent.

Genuine questions for the OP.

How does the guitar shown hold a) tune, b) intonation?

Why are the strings not in the slots on the bridge?

Why are there saddles missing?

Do they stay in place when strumming?  (the D & G certainly won't stand up to any heavy handed stumming, the others would take immense force to move)

How often do you find your strings are breaking?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    edited April 2014
    Of course, there is sometimes a case for modding a bridge in some way.   I made a bass a few years ago with a schaller 8string bridge that had been converted to 4 string use - the individual saddles got replaced with new brass saddles that spanned more than 1 saddle slot

this is how the bridge would have looked

and a fuzzy look at the single brass saddles.  the strings are not centered on the saddle because i wanted a wider spacing, and in this pic there are other slots that got filed out before the tops where reshaped and polished

and the finished guitar with a bridge most would never notice was converted from 8 string use

if the man in question wants to convert 7-string TOM's to 6-String TOM's with a wider spacing then i think that's reasonable, but he really needs to be making new saddles that fit.  if he made 2 wider saddles for the D&G strings that overhang the middle slot by a few mm then the result would be much more playable and less likely to pop off the saddle or cut a players hand, obviously a bit less reshaping on the others too, just get some unslotted ones so he can put the single clean slot where he likes.     Still a bodge, but then the brass saddles on the bridge i show above probably count as a bit of a bodge too to some people

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    WezV said:
    Still a bodge, but then the brass saddles on the bridge i show above probably count as a bit of a bodge too to some people

LOL. 
    Hardly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom