The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    edited April 2014
    octatonic said:
    WezV said:
    Still a bodge, but then the brass saddles on the bridge i show above probably count as a bit of a bodge too to some people

LOL. 
    Hardly.
    What i mean is that some people would never understand why I didn't just buy the 4-string version of that bridge which comes with roller saddles and adjustable string spacing.  To them it will be a bodge

The brass actually sounds much better than the 4 string roller saddle version but that is a preference thing. 

...  and anyone with a vice, drill and a file can shape some soft metal like brass or aluminium.... sooner or later they might actually be able to shape it into something useful like a custom guitar saddle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Fair enough, but 'bodge' compared to the other bodges in this thread- not remotely similar at all.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    octatonic said:
    WezV said:
    Still a bodge, but then the brass saddles on the bridge i show above probably count as a bit of a bodge too to some people

LOL. 
    Hardly.
    Amen

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

octatonic said:
    Fair enough, but 'bodge' compared to the other bodges in this thread- not remotely similar at all.
    oh I know.  but if MDP is still around then hopefully he will pick up some tips on how to achieve what he wants in a better way, but still without spending a lot of money
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    edited April 2014
    I think the concept of modifying the saddles in that way is potentially acceptable as a cheap solution, provided it's reliable.

Basically he has to distribute 6 strings evenly across 7 saddles. So he keeps the 1st and 6th on saddles 1 and 7, in the original notches. Then he progressively shifts the positions of strings 2 and 3, and 5 and 4, inwards towards the centre, so the strings are almost evenly distributed. I guess the spacing is a little larger between strings 3 and 4, but maybe not. You'd need to ask for measurements or get your hands on one. Then he files new notches into the saddles and files away the unrequired metal from the original centre notch to the edge of the saddles 2,3,5 and 6, so that the string can never be restrung onto the original, obsolete notch. Granted the middle two strings have to sit very close indeed to the edges of saddles 3 and 5, but provided the new notch is deep enough, like the originals, I'm not sure the string is likely to come out of it, in the same way that strings don't typically leap out of their notches even when you strum hard, on a conventional saddle. That would need testing to convince oneself. Yes the string is bent at that point, by I guess 10 degrees for the middle strings, but they're already bent by a few degrees vertically over a saddle normally, and a string doesn't mind which way it's bent. And anyway, the strings are bent away from that perilous edge, not towards it. On some guitars, strings are bent at the nut end too. And strings don't break at the nut when you pitch bend up to a tone or minor 3rd near the nut at 2nd or 3rd fret, and I'm not sure that's any less strain than the permanent bend at the bridge. I often bend up a tone on the G string at 2nd fret and I've never broken a string at the nut, only ever at the bridge of my floyds. Strings also don't tend to jump out of their nut grooves (even at half a string diameter), despite heavy pitch bending at the nut. And then obviously the middle saddle isn't required so he removes it. Other than manufacturing a completely new bridge,

I think it's a cheap innovative idea for getting 6 strings as evenly spaced as possible over a 7-string saddle. I'm not commenting on the workmanship, and I'm certainly not saying it's a problem that needed solving in the first place - I've seen many a sausage-fingered violinist play 1/4 and 1/2 size violins with no problem - but what I'm saying is it's a potential solution to the challenge of stringing 6 strings on a 7-string bridge. Obviously he's come up with the idea, done some guitars and has stuck with it as a solution that seems to work for him, and the real question is, is it reliable? Or do the strings sometimes come out? You'd have to ask him or try one yourselves. Obviously you can comment on how it looks, and whether the whole concept of wide necks is good, but that bridge might actually work!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    ^^^ha, bet you all feel silly now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The middle strings might stay in place for george benson, he practically tickles the guitar.   it would not work for anyone with a slightly heavy touch.  

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Fckn hell man, PARAGRAPH. Me eyes is on fire!   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was always a little uneasy about the menacing kays catalogue circa 1980 style photos of him holding the victim, I mean guitar in his listings.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Peter Sutcliffe of the luthier world!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    You've been "hit" by, you've been "touched"by...........thewideneckguitarcriminal......... Dugadugadugadurdur

Annie is definitely not ok folks
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Peter Sutcliffe of the luthier world!
    You've been LOL'd. Nearly pissed meself. (Mind, I really should've bothered me arse to go for a piss 30 mins ago).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited April 2014
    This place is just so nice, I mean people actually suggesting they could be fine, when realistically they are probably 10 times worse than they were in standard form. The reality of it is probably beginners think that strings snap every few days, or they jump out of the bridge etc and in the end give up playing as so many beginners do and think nothing more of it. So no eBay negatives to warn others
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I see Bay feedback as an indication of how the transaction itself went, not a review of the product itself..

If I buy a DVD on eBay from someone who posts quickly with good communication, I don't get them negative feedback if the films shit.

Obviously a bit less clear cut here, as you're buying from the guy who's made/modded the product you're buying, but it's still short-term feedback after a few days at best, not a proper long-term live with it review.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hollywood saw this coming back in 93' 'So I married an axe murderer'
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Evilmags said:
    Ultimately it´s a free market and if anyone is dumb enough to buy one of those things, then it´s there fault really.
    A million times over google image electric guitar I can guarantee not one of them looks like any of this guys work. My personal favourite is the 12 string with six tuning pegs missing strung like a strat. About to be bolted onto some other poor undeserving bit of wood. The fellas doing the work of two men laurel and hardy. I think some credits long overdue.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    @Octatonic - this is what you invited him for ?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

All of us have seen our fair share of ridiculous shite. But those nuts are well out there. And as far as I can tell, professional set up, and that picture and the trades descriptions act have very little in common with each other. In fact anybody with more than 6 months of playing behind them who honestly thought that sort of modding was a good idea would probably be making some severe infringements of the mental health act.

Seriously, it is fucking awful. Just stop FFS....

frankus said:
    @Octatonic - this is what you invited him for ?
    Probably not. But this is what humans do in these circumstances, in this environment. You can dissect and analyse as much as you want, but there it is. It's a forum full of people with differing perspectives.

It's been suggested personality disorder with narcissistic traits, but I'm not sure that's correct. If that were the case, the OP would view himself as 'beyond' responding to the invitation itself, and the other thread.

Who knows? Psychologists and psychiatrists apparently, but that was no fckn good to me last night at work when the chaps were 'getting busy'.

As it stands, regardless of suggestions to clarify the issues by means of purchase, he's not a fckn clue what he's doing, and no intent of reflective thought to improve what he's doing. And yep, the photo's kind of back that up.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I didnt ask you, did I?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?