The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Problem is, @mdphillips is not the reason anyone would want to bury this thread.

So wanting to bury the thread (out of shame) denies him a chance to respond to the comments worth replying to.

Of all the "contributors" to this thread.. he's the only one with a reasonable mandate to post to the thread again.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped said:

He says this is a scary place to come....

It can be.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/imadray/carrie-tombstone_zps572509a9.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    Fair do's.

12 rounds of tough fighting from both sides, let's call it a draw ffs.

Otherwise let's set up a Fightclub - octatonic representing the "luthiers" and mr Phillips repping cleartone mega bridges and big "nuts"!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Skipped said:
    I am posting on this thread to disagree with the OP about
    this forum. He says this is a scary place to come for anyone who doesn't just live to slag people off 24/7.

You've drunk the koolaid, you're one of them.

I say that the % of Slagging Off Just For The Sake Of It posts on the Fretboard forums is much lower than other online forums - both Music related and General forums- and I say it is noticeably lower than the forum formerly known as Music Radar.
    ...slagging off other forums ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    It was I who offered my time, Mark. I don't do so lightly, as I am very busy, but it was to offer assistance and advice, not to poke fun or other negativity in relation to your guitars. 

I'm not sure what you have against those of us who have made it our careers to study guitar building, repair and maintenance - but that sort of attitude will not help you to learn or develop your skills. None of us can say that we "know it all" - we all learn daily from new situations/mistakes (yes, we *all* make mistakes). And my motives were to assist you to get out of this scenario where this, and many other forums lampoon your guitars and appear to take pleasure in knocking you on a personal and professional level. None of this knowledge is innate and some of it is hard won. Making the 'leap' from master bodger to repair tech just involves some investment on your part in time, tools and most importantly... listening!

Therefore, I think I shall just give up trying to help - as the milk of human kindness is a finite thing. I just hope that at some point, you realise that rather than fighting the flow, accepting help, advice and assistance is a much more positive standpoint than where you currently reside.

Good luck.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2014
    frankus said:

Because you are unable to compare my demeanour on these forums with my demeanour on other forums, then (unfortunately) I will have to ask you to accept my word. And I hope you will.

In addition to this I would like to present this piece of evidence. frankus on Music Radar v frankus posting on the Fretboard forums.
    Why? I don't know. And when I say I don't know, I mean both of us.
    ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Skipped said:
    frankus said:

Because you are unable to compare my demeanour on these forums with my demeanour on other forums, then (unfortunately) I will have to ask you to accept my word. And I hope you will.

In addition to this I would like to present this piece of evidence. frankus on Music Radar v frankus posting on the Fretboard forums.
    Why? I don't know. And when I say I don't know, I mean both of us.
    ;)
    I don't understand any of that... can you summarise?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    frankus said:

I don't know how serious that question is but in the spirit of the last few posts I will assume that this is new frankus and not mind-games frankus.

But surely you understand perfectly what I have just said.  I have a hunch that I would  prefer what I have posted here in the past year if I were to make a comparison against my posts in other unspecified forums. I would rather read the comments you have posted in the Fretboard forums than read your posts in the Music Radar forums. I don't know what gives a forum its character. Maybe it is the Moderation.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    I don't know what gives a forum its character. Maybe it is the Moderation.
    They only use NOS moderators on here.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Skipped said:
    frankus said:

I don't know how serious that question is but in the spirit of the last few posts I will assume that this is new frankus and not mind-games frankus.

I've never been the mind-games frankus, I happen to understand bits of the mind though.

But surely you understand perfectly what I have just said.

how about in the spirit of the last few posts you suspend your disbelief?

I have a hunch that I would  prefer what I have posted here in the past year if I were to make a comparison against my posts in other unspecified forums.

The nature of your posting has changed. That's interesting, I'd agree to some degree for myself, mostly I think I've been put on ignore by anyone I upset.

I would rather read the comments you have posted in the Fretboard forums than read your posts in the Music Radar forums. I don't know what gives a forum its character. Maybe it is the Moderation.
    This place is for guitarists, MR was a melting pot.

I don't really see that much moderation here, I know a lot of PMs whistle about trying to get to the bottom of things personally, and I think we've more respect for the guys running this site as they're not paid by the man to keep us buying Guitarist... and it's working cos of their input so there's a lot less arrogance and indifference...

Ultimately what makes this place is the people who post and what they post about.

I wonder if there's something attractive about the drama in negative threads that attracts people to comment in particular ways. It reminds me of regularly finding myself in the middle of a crowd at school yelling "fight! fight!" and finding I'm meant to be one of the protagonists... there are only three ways out of such throngs... win, lose and escape - winning is least likely to involve injury, it's why the kids surround and press in... to force an artificial competition.

Ultimately, I should be humblebragging about my own equanimity and self-awareness and not encouraging other people to be reasonable, but I like to do something for people who need my help :P ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4243
    I don't know what gives a forum its character. Maybe it is the Moderation.
    They only use NOS moderators on here.
    I hear they eat unicorn-diodes for breakfast, and sleep in a bed of warm Telefunkens.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    NOS Telefunkens, not those reissue thingies...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    impmann;207846" said:
    NOS Telefunkens, not those reissue thingies...
    I find the Japanese copies to be more vintage accurate to be honest.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4243
    I now have visions of EL-84s being converted into octals, using a chainsaw. :\
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Mr Phillips seems to like attention,good or bad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • After a while on these sites I think people become conditioned to being in an adversarial bear-pit environment; but it's a bit love me love my dog too, in as much as we can agree to agree with each other and then you are accepted in the clan; but if you want to disobey the clan we'll set the dogs on you and send you somewhere else.

As it happens I have long said that I prefer a flat nut where the strings sit pretty much on the surface; my buyers on the other hand seem quite happy with my deep Vee cut nuts, and I like them best with shark tooth inlays on Ibanez and Jacksons.
    However, someone on here might have seen my most recent wide neck guitar with a much flatter nut; it was a red Schecter and it sold quite quickly so sadly it is gone now... the funny thing is that I found I was missing the look of the shark-tooth nut and the simple flat one looked a bit plain... but it was a fantastic sounding guitar with a coil tapped Schecter humbucker (nicer than Seymours) and a Don Lace telecaster at the neck... it gave us five really good distinct tones.

And I liked that blue Les Paul wide neck posted on here earlier... so someone else thinks they should exist as well then? But I prefer mine as they are not just wide at the nut end then parallel to the a standard narrow bridge, but have a proper guitar ratio of expansion... OH NO! I am starting to sound like a proper grown up luthier!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  •  OH NO! I am starting to sound like a proper grown up luthier!
    Don't worry mate, you're really not. :)
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is reassuring Bron,
    Thought I was starting to adhere to traditions!
    Mark............
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    mdphillips1956;208926" said:
    That is reassuring Bron,Thought I was starting to adhere to traditions!Mark............
    That's the spirit!

I'm sure you'll now settle in well to the forum after the hostile welcome.

Don't forget there is a classified section if you want to try and save on eBay fees...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited April 2014
    After a while on these sites I think people become conditioned to being in an adversarial bear-pit environment; but it's a bit love me love my dog too, in as much as we can agree to agree with each other and then you are accepted in the clan; but if you want to disobey the clan we'll set the dogs on you and send you somewhere else.

You've been here for 5 mins and don't understand the culture at all.
    Drew disagrees with people here all the time.
    So does Frankus.
    So do I and a lot of other people.
    We do respect one another, because for the most part we're sane and reasonable people who appreciate difference in others.
    That doesn't mean we're all prepared to accept bullshit.

OH NO! I am starting to sound like a proper grown up luthier!
    Not in the least.

As an illustration of how far you are away from that I've just come back from a lecture/presentation from an MA student concerning the proportions of 16th Century instruments- not just guitars, but violins, viols and the like.
    It was illuminating, controversial and potentially a game changer as far as how we examine historical instruments.
    I won't go into the specifics of it as a) I've been asked not to and b) despite understanding his approach, I probably couldn't explain it if I tried.

It was concerning what amounts to 2 years of solid work from this student and has real meaning and worth- this guy is a diligent and intelligent researcher. 2 years of proper work. Think about what that means for a second. Some people are dedicated to their craft.

You lump 'luthiers' together as though we all agree with one another and have the same approach.
    That is frankly mad.
    Some builders are traditionalists.
    Some are maverick innovators- Steinberg, Chapman, Klein, Canton, Toone come to mind.
    Some are a combination of both- Chris Forshage makes ergonomic instruments and traditional archtops and acoustics.
    Virtually no-one does things the same way.

Again we come back to your overwhelming ignorance of the craft and art that you profess to have an interest in.
    You can come in here and shoot your mouth off all you like- you can denigrate the craft and art of guitar building too.
    And you try and belittle those who dedicate their lives to furthering this craft and art.
    It means absolutely nothing- because you don't know anything and you can't do anything.
    Essentially you have zero credibility.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom