The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    edited April 2014
    This is turning into something epic :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    I buy non functional guitars and I quite quickly turn them into sweet handling instruments that even fumble fingered beginners stand a chance of getting a tune out of... which is something that most new shop and internet sold guitars often fail to do.

This is some claim. How about we buy a Phillips Cleartone Conversions masterpiece and find out once and for all. We could pass it round in the post and all give our honest opinion. Maybe compare it to something like a Squier Affinity. I'll put £10 in for a start.
  • I quite quickly turn them into sweet handling instruments that even fumble fingered beginners stand a chance of getting a tune out of

We got a girl like that in our village too.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe the mods could consider locking this thread now as it's clearly run it's course. Having gone from all out abuse to stupidity?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27949
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Maybe the mods could consider locking this thread now as it's clearly run it's course. Having gone from all out abuse to stupidity?
    Let it die people.  There's nothing in the thread that warrants modmin intervention, other than the feeling that mdp is merely playing with everyone.  His views will not be influenced by anything written here.

As I suggested a couple of pages ago, just let it fade away.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    U mean hes been playing us all along, like one of his bodgercasters ?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    blueskunk said:
    U mean hes been playing us all along, like one of his bodgercasters ?

You got it in one.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27949
    Let. It. Die.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well i never......, that damned wideneckguitarcriminal!!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I wonder if Octatonic even realises what he is doing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited April 2014
    LastMantra: "So Octatonic, when did you stop beating your wife?"
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Hi all,
    I used the term 'master bodger' partly for fun and partly to see whether a certain aspect of the community would jump on it to 'use' it... some sounded like they wanted to, but weren't quite sure how hard to use it.
    In some ways it describes what I do quite well: I buy non functional guitars and I quite quickly turn them into sweet handling instruments that even fumble fingered beginners stand a chance of getting a tune out of... which is something that most new shop and internet sold guitars often fail to do.
    I am referring to my standard narrow neck guitars here as my wide necks are not generally bought by beginners.
    Mark...................

With bullshit of that calibre, you should be selling £400 TS9 rip offs to TGP members instead. 

Maybe we move this to speakers corner, so it can live if people want it to (still getting replies) but it isn't congesting the main forum?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    mdphillips1956;210629" said:
    Hi all,I used the term 'master bodger' partly for fun and partly to see whether a certain aspect of the community would jump on it to 'use' it... some sounded like they wanted to, but weren't quite sure how hard to use it.In some ways it describes what I do quite well: I buy non functional guitars and I quite quickly turn them into sweet handling instruments that even fumble fingered beginners stand a chance of getting a tune out of... which is something that most new shop and internet sold guitars often fail to do.I am referring to my standard narrow neck guitars here as my wide necks are not generally bought by beginners.Mark...................
    I really don't get your claim that " most new shop guitars" are bad or set up wrong. Long gone are the days of encore with 2 inch action, today's budget guitars are outstanding out of the box.

Take the £200 mark you sell most of yours at. That would buy you a squire Strat or telecaster new off the shelf that 99% of the time have a pretty good setup out of the box. Or Yamaha 112, or an epi special or sg derivative, all of which will almost always play perfectly well out of the box.
  • This thread is absolute genius now. 

Another thread has existed for a long while, as well as numerous threads on other forums questioning either the methods or (as is my main concern) the wording of the EBay listing - still no one has managed to explain how listing an item with 'FULL PRO SETUP" ties in with the "MASTER BODGER" angle.

Anyway let's not drag up that whole dead end up again as I am inclined to agree with TTony that MDPhillips is ultimately a bit of an attention seeker.

So back to the point.  The majority of those who have objected to this thread's content have used the angle that MDPhillips is firstly entitled to expel his opinion and secondly that they feel there is a pack mentality (making the wonderful sweeping judgement that all but themselves are too ignorant to construct an individual opinion) targeting MDPhillips. 

So Octatonic, an established and knowledgeable member of the community who regularly proffers advice and help to other members, invites him to have his say.  OK, so it's maybe understandable that some doubt Oct's motivations on this point - but really only he truly know what those were.   How the hell in this situation did he become public enemy number one?  Why is no one shaming the pack mentality now?  Is it because we view Oct as a strong knowledge base or an established member so it's ok to "take pops" at him whilst it morally repulsive to question the master bodger?

Who started this thread?  Who just wouldn't let it die?

I'm  well aware that Octatonic can fight his own corner, as clearly can MDPhillips, but I just wanted to highlight the hilarity of the situation.  :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014

I'm  well aware that Octatonic can fight his own corner, as clearly can MDPhillips, but I just wanted to highlight the hilarity of the situation.  :D

I could, but I won't.
    People can think what they want.
    Thanks for pointing it out though.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825

This thread is absolute genius now. 

Another thread has existed for a long while, as well as numerous threads on other forums questioning either the methods or (as is my main concern) the wording of the EBay listing - still no one has managed to explain how listing an item with 'FULL PRO SETUP" ties in with the "MASTER BODGER" angle.

Anyway let's not drag up that whole dead end up again as I am inclined to agree with TTony that MDPhillips is ultimately a bit of an attention seeker.

So back to the point.  The majority of those who have objected to this thread's content have used the angle that MDPhillips is firstly entitled to expel his opinion and secondly that they feel there is a pack mentality (making the wonderful sweeping judgement that all but themselves are too ignorant to construct an individual opinion) targeting MDPhillips. 

So Octatonic, an established and knowledgeable member of the community who regularly proffers advice and help to other members, invites him to have his say.  OK, so it's maybe understandable that some doubt Oct's motivations on this point - but really only he truly know what those were.   How the hell in this situation did he become public enemy number one?  Why is no one shaming the pack mentality now?  Is it because we view Oct as a strong knowledge base or an established member so it's ok to "take pops" at him whilst it morally repulsive to question the master bodger?

Who started this thread?  Who just wouldn't let it die?

Motivations are one thing, actions are another. We can all read.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    I buy non functional guitars and I quite quickly turn them into sweet handling instruments that even fumble fingered beginners stand a chance of getting a tune out of... which is something that most new shop and internet sold guitars often fail to do.

This is some claim. How about we buy a Phillips Cleartone Conversions masterpiece and find out once and for all. We could pass it round in the post and all give our honest opinion. Maybe compare it to something like a Squier Affinity. I'll put £10 in for a start.
    I suggested this before.

I will throw a tenner into the pot as well. I live right near @Impmann as well so I could pass it on to him to give it the full assessment 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited April 2014
    If anybody then wants to chuck it this way (to Australia!), few of us might ave a go too - if it can handle the Aussie conditions, it can handle anything! ;) 

I'm game enough.

See what all this bodgery is worth!

Honestly though, it's not the WNGC's posts that make me laugh anymore. It's the stuff you guys come up with in between about bodgering that's giving me sides a tickle here n there! Thanks for the laughs people. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Motivations are one thing, actions are another. We can all read.

You do realise there is a big difference between the physical act of reading and that of interpreting based on perspective, experience and prejudgement don't you?