The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31130
    OK guys, hit me when I'm down and knackered on the train home ;)

As John Altman would say I was just trying to look on the bright side of life!!

It is so fucking funny though.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    Quality blocking!

Look, any fule 'no that that is the fabled epoxy-block-wizard method. Fabled and if Fender had an unlimited budget they'd do it too.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    p90fool said:
    He's not actually wrong y'know. If, as he says, the strings are sat in an over-wide V-shaped groove then the excess protruding above the string plays no part.

It's ugly and unconventional, but it's not "wrong".
    It is - not because of the height of the rest of the nut, but because v-shaped grooves are wrong in the first place.

A v-shaped groove will grip the string between the two faces, and cause it to stick, resulting in tuning trouble. The groove should in fact have a semi-circular bottom profile, slightly larger radius than the string, so the string rests only on a single line along the bottom of the groove. It will also then be self-centring and not touch the sides, so at that point it is true that the height of the nut above the string top shouldn't matter.

Except that you tend to catch your hand on it… so it's still wrong, really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was trying to think of anything positive I could say in this guys defence, but I can't !
     Only thing you could say is a blind man would like to see them !
    edited April 2014
    I was trying to think of anything positive I could say in this guys defence, but I can't !
     Only thing you could say is a blind man would like to see them !
    He's a fellow Leekist?

I'm sure I've seen that same bridge block black epoxy technique in Coracle making.

• Gassage said:
    Quality blocking!

Look, any fule 'no that that is the fabled epoxy-block-wizard method. Fabled and if Fender had an unlimited budget they'd do it too.
    It ain't the budget Fender lack you eegit.....  it's the skills.... it's the know-how.... it's the vision.... but most of all it's the man.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    edited April 2014
    Bet this is the sort of thing Leo Fender heard when he created the jaguar bridge and trem :-/

:)
    Could somebody please create a graphic to go with the thread name - wide neck guitar criminal. I keep visioning a muscle bound meat head, obviously with a wide tyson like neck stealing guitars
    Just like Leo, over the road from Mark D is the fabled Celtic equivalent of fabled Fender sub-contact machine shop....Race and Olmstead

Botch and Carve.

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    funstuie said:

Hello,
    And what a shock... and sorry etc as well, but I really cannot remember you or you contacting me about any problems with the guitar you mention.
    Have I ever sold an Encore for £140? I rather doubt it.
    Did you leave me bad feedback? I certainly have no memory of it.
    If you were ten miles away with a guitar problem I would say bring it here and we will sort it out for free... even if it had been bought of someone else!
    As far as I am aware I had always had 100% good feedback until a funny bloke bought a bass off me for £97 then made up silly stories and wanted me to take it back... it arrived back with its strings cut!
    Are you sure this guitar was from me? 
    Thanks,
    Mark................

Yep it was from you. It would have been very late December 2012, obviously I can't link to the ebay auction from that time as it's long gone as are the communications between us but I have been able to find the paypal transaction and I have to apologise as I got the fee wrong it was £124 including postage. I offered to bring the guitar back to you, I advised where I live but you refused to give me an address or time. I asked numerous times and eventually you stopped responding to me so I stopped emailing you. 

I didn't leave bad feedback as I was trying to work it out with you before doing so but work/life got in the way and by the time I wanted to post feedback it was 4 weeks later which I figured wouldn't be worth it. I don't have time for petty squabbles with people on ebay. Luckily I could afford to write off £124 as a mistake so I moved on. 

What have I got to gain from lying about this?

Well it sounds real now so my sincere apologies, although I cannot remember you yet, or our communications about the problem.
    I was certain I had never sold an Encore for £140 plus £17.50, but £124 all in is quite possible.
    What did you say was wrong with the guitar? Was it damaged in transit or just something you didn't like about it?
    You could have just put it back in its packaging and posted it back to me... in fact I am very happy for you to do that now and I will fix it and post back to you.
    I am probably over cautious but in having two kids and a pregnant wife here it is a bit too chaotic for house calls, which is why I settled for ebay selling with postage... and I would want to re string, re set up, and let it settle for a night then set up again the next day... so I want the guitar for a couple of days.
    The offer is there; and I bet it will come back playing better than the one you bought in Brighton!
    Cheers,
    Mark................

A full refund would be better.Any chance of a refund?
    Hats off- The pregnant wife and kids malarky was gold.

And clearly, he's failed to mention Stevie Wonder has been helping out at some of the nut-cutting and fret dressing chores.

• My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    Does anyone think he will be flooding the classifieds on here with his castellated nut guitars ?  #-o
    The jawscaster nut mdp special
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Can the mods now please reinstate my deleted post as I have been proven to be very accurate in my description of the OP
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    octatonic said:

Being able to fleece a few people on ebay is not proof of the worth of your method or company.

i think that quote bears repeating
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    has he said Jehovah yet?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    has he said Jehovah yet?
    We've been chatting via ebay.
    Just got this from him:

"You say I am just a conman: in what sense am I more of a conman than you are?"
    Also, I'm apparently just trying to make myself look clever.
    He's a bit of a deluded lunatic, IMHO.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    blueskunk said:
    The jawscaster nut mdp special
    big lolz for that immy
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    jonnyburgo;202587" said:
    Can the mods now please reinstate my deleted post as I have been proven to be very accurate in my description of the OP

What happened there Jon?

crazy owd thread this hahah.

Hope u r well man :)