The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    blueskunk said:
    Could somebody please create a graphic to go with the thread name - wide neck guitar criminal. I keep visioning a muscle bound meat head, obviously with a wide tyson like neck stealing guitars
    Great idea and a song too, a revamp of smooth criminal ought to do it with some new words.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I somehow don't feel this will be placed in his Halcyon Days memory box. 

Bless.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited April 2014
    Fair play for registering Mr Phillips.

I strongly believe the typical copy contained within your auction descriptions is designed to deceive and confuse ill-informed buyers.

How do I come to that conclusion? Because there are many well informed members here including professional players, luthiers and time served guitar techs that would not touch one of your guitars with the proverbial 10 foot pole.

Therefore any buyers must be as clueless as your goodself...

I also note that you claim to offer a 'pro' setup in some of your auctions and wondered if you could confirm if you have some formal training?

I'll end on a positive. You clearly have the enthusiasm and time to pursue the dark art of fucking up guitars - my suggestion is perhaps you could channel that same energy into improving them?

All the best and thanks for registering.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    "You say I am just a conman: in what sense am I more of a conman than you are?"

@mdphillips1956

Here's and interesting thread. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4333/octatonic-s-guitar-buildery-thread#latest

It's written from a really strange perspective as although @Octatonic is clearly already talented in luthiery, in it he also admit to mistakes, human errors and displays a desire to learn more.  I appreciate one criticism that could by some people one person is that maybe he is sticking too strictly to recognised techniques developed of hundreds of years of instrument building.  There also appears to be somewhat of a reliance on primitive hand tools and a lack of chainsaw action.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31921
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:
    He's not actually wrong y'know. If, as he says, the strings are sat in an over-wide V-shaped groove then the excess protruding above the string plays no part.

It's ugly and unconventional, but it's not "wrong".
    It is - not because of the height of the rest of the nut, but because v-shaped grooves are wrong in the first place.
    Well obviously the "V" is a problem, the rest is just stupid and clumsy. I'm just playing a little devil's advocate really, mainly because these "all pile in" threads depress me a little. I didn't respond to the original thread about him, and watched the vast numbers of replies it accumulated with an increasing sense of gloom to be honest.

Really, the guy's just a bit of a clown, though any fan of Ry Cooder, JJ Cale or Neil Young will recognise his style of "customisation" readily enough. At least he's knocking out cobbled-together bits of rubbish for pennies rather than thousands, so I suppose it could be worse.

I have to admit that I find the thread about the hotshot "industry insider" telling a child's parents they HAVE to buy him a Gibson Les Paul or his career will be over before it's started far more worrying than some ebay charlatan selling the contents of his skip for a few pounds.

Tinseltown Rebellion anyone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    He does use Tite Bond wood glue from the USA though. That could swing it for me.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I loves a bit on synchronicity I do and I feel the timing of the arrival of this thread fully justifies the refusal reinstate face palms.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Gagaryn said:
    Mark's eBay feedback is pretty good, so his customers seem to appreciate what he does, even if I wouldn't.
    That's true. Maybe it's down to his use of quality machine heads?

classic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    *ah-heh-heh-hemmm* 

I would like to start by saying, first of all, welcome to "the wide neck guitar criminal" himself. Man of the hour. I guess we all saw this coming sooner or later. 

Look, let's just be honest about things. My opinion of the matter expressed here changes like the wind. 

First and foremost, I don't really see a market for wide necked guitars that you describe here and in your auctions. It seems a bit of a niche. I can see what you're trying to say with it, but I feel like there's a way to go about filling a niche and this may not actually be the way to go about it.

If you were to say "it's a shame Gibson and Fender et al. don't make guitars with wider necks that are more suited to people with particular needs", I'd agree.

I'm all for modding. But there's a fine line to draw between modding a guitar in a way that actually improves it and between what damages and de-values a guitar. 

Essentially, you believe (and I would agree) that most of these guitars you've modded are very "one-of-a-kind". Can't deny you that! But then what if you changed your business model? 

That is to say what if you created a 'custom shop' and said "I have x,y,z guitars available..." and people could say "I would like the black Encore Strat copy and I would like a SC-sized humbucker fitting in the bridge position, a re-finished headstock, and a widening of the nut slots" You know...? If you offered people an old 'base' model, and said they could have the mods or improvements done by you on that guitar... 

What do you think? I think that you have the makings of someone who is clearly keen to get hands on with instruments. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if you offered a service like that, to build "parts-a-casters" for people from old guitars and accepted help to learn how to complete the jobs to a high standard then I actually think you could create a very nice little business that actually really does turn trashy old guitars into treasure!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gagaryn said:
    Mark's eBay feedback is pretty good, so his customers seem to appreciate what he does, even if I wouldn't.

classic

Oh. My. God.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    ^^ I can't believe they put Grovers on either. ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    ^^ I can't believe they put Grovers on either. ;)
    Heathen! Grover's kill Kluson's on LP's all day long.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Gagaryn said:

classic

I bought a kettle from that guy.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  

classic

I bought a thong from that guy.
    Was it a black one?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I really hope you had it professionally cleaned

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Ultimately it´s a free market and if anyone is dumb enough to buy one of those things, then it´s there fault really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:

classic

I hope you didn't use it.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Gagaryn said:
    Gagaryn said:

classic

I hope you didn't use it.
    did it come with a free teabag?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @not_the_dj @meltedbuzzbox - you owe me a replacement for my twice coffee drenched keyboard :)