The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited April 2014
    @mdphillips1956

Please read peoples posts properly before you accuse them of saying something that was actually said by someone else.

It was Octatonic that stated about the angle of the strings through the nut not myself, regardless he is correct anyhow.

Can you really not see how rediculous and unprofessional that nut looks? Even if you have somehow managed to angle the slot in a way that it does not foul as you claim.

To be honest I find your disregard for hundreds of years of guitar development and evolution highly insulting, there is a reason why EVERY  guitar manufacturer / custom maker cuts their nuts in a particular way and your ignorance towards this is baffling!
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I'm starting to believe in the multiverse theory. Someone here speaks the same language, shares a hobby, believes what he says but lives in a completely different reality! ;-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    I still haven't got over the comment about that nut preventing the army of Saladin !! I was watching ruck defence tapes at lunchtime, tittering to myself. Lads thought I was crackers !!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    underdog said:
    Ah as predicted by a few, your way is right and everything else is wrong, the fact the other way is used by the know nothing's at Gibson, fender, Tokai, Morgan, arrow head, feline, squire, and in fact every other guitar maker in the world proves nothing.
    I think you'll find that history shows repeated examples of true geniuses become misunderstood and ridiculed.  :-\"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    monofin said:
    How can so many people in one place be so wrong. And there was me thinking this place was full of good info.

I'm now totally disillusioned and want my nuts changing to these new medieval versions - I've seen the light
    Well to be fair, a lot of people thought the world was flat not so long ago - and there're still a few who refuse to accept otherwise, even in the face of perfect evidence.
    Aye but we've had the interweb for ages now fella, the correct info' is generally in there amongst all of the shite :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    guitargeek62;202342" said:
    monofin said:

How can so many people in one place be so wrong. And there was me thinking this place was full of good info.

I'm now totally disillusioned and want my nuts changing to these new medieval versions - I've seen the light

Well to be fair, a lot of people thought the world was flat not so long ago - and there're still a few who refuse to accept otherwise, even in the face of perfect evidence.
    Fucking freaky dude i was about to post the exact same thing!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    So I kinda wish he hadn't rocked up! He's wonderfully and hilariously naive !! I had a great exchange last night and earlier on eBay where he accused me of never handling a quality guitar in my life......my patch and guitar cable collection is worth more than his entire eBay store!

But there is genuinely a quite simple person here. He doesn't get what he's doing wrong and there's a naive bliss and inoffensive ignorance to this debate.

I'm not sure what's worse; laughing at him or feeling sorry for him.

Certainly I don't feel I could sling so much burning vitriol at such a static target.

Sorry for being so ruthlessly blunt. :(

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Mark's eBay feedback is pretty good, so his customers seem to appreciate what he does, even if I wouldn't.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Mark's eBay feedback is pretty good, so his customers seem to appreciate what he does, even if I wouldn't.
    That's true. Maybe it's down to his use of quality machine heads?

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16961
    I am not interested in how you chose to market your work or how good you claim to be.

I do get bothered by technical inaccuracy
    for instance on this auction you state "The neck is a one piece mahogany (avoids the awful Les Paul weakness of the head getting easily knocked off)."

Of course gibson have traditionally always used one piece mahogany for necks and it is this that makes them prone to headstock breaks.   Anybody experienced with guitar repair or renovation should be familiar with this fact

This auction has a few more technical issues
    "The nut being in a rebate and 3.5mm which seems to be an unobtainable material thickness outside the factory distribution trade"
    "In replacing the trem spring block of the seven string bridge I set in a fitted wood block with Tight-Bond wood glue from the USA, and this makes a solid string stop as with any through body strung guitar."

part of making, modding and renovating guitars successfully is making non standard stuff fit... actually this seems to be what you claim to be doing quite well.   I worry for any tech that can not thickness a nut to the size it needs to be.   

You are correct that titebond would be a good glue choice for filling a trem with a new block of wood, but titebond is for glueing wood to wood, not wood to a lacquer finish. What you have done is not a solid solution!!

I could go on, i can't be bothered.   What these kind of things tell me is you have no experience with fine woodwork, no knowledge of correct guitar terminology and an over inflated sense of your accomplishments.

but we all got to start somewhere, and if you want to learn how to do it properly then stick around and do some reading!!   You will find us all quite open to partscasters  and even a little bodging here and there for fun (not bodged for sale)

You may even want to get some of us to proof read your future listing and highlight any issues we can help you solve before you list them for sale.   It really is worth spending an extra few minutes here and there to do things properly no matter what you charge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110

I stopped reading the other thread a while ago because of this. I can't affect things so I can't watch any more. I thought he was taking advantage of beginners believing his "talk" but he actually thinks he's good... doing people a service. It's horrible car crash web tv where beginners might not persevere with playing through the "just about holding the strings down" phase because of this man.

And for that reason, I'm out.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    [quote="mdphillips1956;202298"]octatonic said:

mdphillips1956 said:

If I was building guitars that sold for £2,000 I would certainly first cut the string grooves to get the strings to just clear the first fret-wire by a milimicrobe, then I would knock the nut off again and grind away everything but the final half a mill of the string grooves... but I sell guitars for around £200 not £2,000 and with the best will in the world you really do have devote the time more to things that actually matter.Mark...............

However, that nut is perfectly functional... what particularly don't you like about it?

Mark in my opinion the nut and fretwork are the 2 most important jobs you can do before you sell someone a guitar. Especially when you mention the care you 'lavish' on them.
    things like the action being too low/high, intonation being out, neck needing more/less relief or pickups needing adjusted is something anyone can learn to do using youtube, a ruler, a screwdriver and some Allen keys. Cutting nuts is beyond most 'hobby' guitarists and definitely beyond beginners.
    It's irrelevant how much someone spends on the guitar if the nut isn't right you'll NEVER be able to get the guitar to play properly. If I bought a guitar at £200, bearing in mind these days £200 can get you a pretty decent secondhand guitar and it had a nut like that it'd go right back.

If you said you used artec pickups or cheap electronics because you're selling guitars at £200 not £2000 I'd say fair enough but don't bullshit that nuts aren't important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I am glad @WezV turned up, no one can put it better than this man!
    Old Is Gold
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    WezV said:

I could go on, i can't be bothered.   What these kind of things tell me is you have no experience with fine woodwork, no knowledge of correct guitar terminology and an over inflated sense of your accomplishments.

but we all got to start somewhere, and if you want to learn how to do it properly then stick around and do some reading!!   You will find us all quite open to partscasters  and even a little bodging here and there for fun (not bodged for sale)

You may even want to get some of us to proof read your future listing and highlight any issues we can help you solve before you list them for sale.   It really is worth spending an extra few minutes here and there to do things properly no matter what you charge.

Bravo.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    I applaud the man for sticking his head up, I just don't see that he can offer any real benefit to a beginner. And by all accounts, reading through this he doesn't seem too receptive regarding constructive criticism. My personal feeling is that for all but a few quid, you could buy a truly great guitar instead of one his.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-wide-neck-RGio-custom-guitar-for-big-hands-/191117762107?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c7f819e3b modded ones.

Or this instead.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-50s-Strat-Fiesta-Red-/151256990962?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item23379e84f2

If you struggle to make that decision, then I'm sorry for your loss.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 649
    edited April 2014
    So I don't think I've ever commented on your work before because I've never actually played one so can't fairly comment. however, my main issue is how you use 7- string adjustomatic bridges for 6 strings like in this listing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-neck-Peavey-for-big-hands-with-single-and-twin-coil-pickups-/190948788735?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c756f49ff&nma=true&si=cGGTPp8ypjRhAGf%2Bps%2BRMoQ%2FOMU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 The way it is set up with the big kink in the string would be prone to breaking and also would have a good chance of dislodging and going out of tune if you strummed hard. Also whenever I have accidentally strung a guitar like that on the saddles it has created some unpleasant harmonics. Just my two cents since I do think there is definitely a market for what you are doing, but I worry that some of your modifications aren't up to long term use and abuse. Also I can't believe you already have almost as many frets as me ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5070
    edited April 2014
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Gassage said:
    So I kinda wish he hadn't rocked up! He's wonderfully and hilariously naive !! I had a great exchange last night and earlier on eBay where he accused me of never handling a quality guitar in my life......my patch and guitar cable collection is worth more than his entire eBay store!

But there is genuinely a quite simple person here. He doesn't get what he's doing wrong and there's a naive bliss and inoffensive ignorance to this debate.

Certainly I don't feel I could sling so much burning vitriol at such a static target.

He's not naive,has an ego as big as Jupiter..He knows what he's doing,taking advantage of people who are naive.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Reading his posts makes my head hurt ....
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    marantz1300;202429" said:
    Gassage said:

He's not naive,has an ego as big as Jupiter..He knows what he's doing,taking advantage of people who are naive.
    Agree entirely, he is taking the p*ss and trying to make money by dressing up his "skills" in his listings. Seems that if a buyer complains they get ignored.