The wide neck guitar criminal!

What's Hot

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The nut man, why cut the nut like that, that's not how to get a low action. And why always the Tele pickup? And why the need for wide necks (12 string converted to 6) and hacking heels away to fit bodies. Oh god man why.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110

Again, much respect for putting your head above the parapet.

I'll start by saying I'm 6ft 2" tall and I have massive hands and I have a mate who's 6ft 8" with even bigger hands - we both manage perfectly well with normal Strats, LPs, Teles etc.

Do we really need wide necks on 6 string guitars? (respectfully).

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867

Again, much respect for putting your head above the parapet.

I'll start by saying I'm 6ft 2" tall and I have massive hands and I have a mate who's 6ft 8" with even bigger hands - we both manage perfectly well with normal Strats, LPs, Teles etc.

Do we really need wide necks on 6 string guitars? (respectfully).

Ah, but what if you were 7ft2? Eh? What about then? Let us not be discriminatory and forget about the Giant Sector.

I mean, I'm imagining a giant with my Esquire. Comical. But who knew? Who knew.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

jd0272 said:
    Ah, but what if you were 7ft2? Eh? What about then? Let us not be discriminatory and forget about the Giant Sector.

BigJon is 6'6 and plays a Steinberger......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    Hi Mark, 

Welcome to the site. I purchased a guitar from you approximately 18 months ago as I was duped by your "perfect for a beginner" and "pro setup" blurb in your auction listing. 

I paid you £140 (plus shipping - despite my offer to come and collect as you live around 10 miles from me, which you refused) for an Encore strat - on a side note there is a very similar guitar in my local charity shop for £45 - I honestly believed your spiel that you had setup this guitar as for a beginner, I believed that it would have a pro setup etc. In all honesty I was very disappointed in the guitar I received from you. For a start it was filthy, if you polished the frets and fretboard you must have used cow shite as your cleaning agent. After that it was dog to play, there was fret buzz all up the neck. When I complained to you about the dirt you claimed that there was nothing you could do after shipping. I offered to bring it back to you in person to save on shipping and packing and you never responded As someone who sells guitars for "beginners" you should offer some sort of after sales service. Just ignoring me was frankly rude. The whole process left me feeling ripped off so I went to a guitar shop in Brighton and purchased a guitar from them which had a free setup (which I was allowed to watch the tech perform and ask questions). That's the guitar I ended up learning on. The one I got from you I just left to rot in the garage. 

After all this I did some research on you and I can see your interactions with other people on your auctions (anyone who questions you is an internet troll apparently), you are not very pleasant to deal with if anyone questions you or makes any suggestion of help or advice. Your work, the guitars you are selling are disgraceful in my opinion. Since purchasing from you I have learned to setup my own guitars and I have done extensive research on improving guitars and I am shocked on the work you publicise as a "pro" but you seem to be selling guitars regularly so you have either tapped into a perverts market or a lot of people are like I was 18 months ago. 

After all that I have 2 questions: 

1. Whats with the hard on for ill fitting single coil pickups in humbucker cavities? 
    2. Do you have proof that there is a subset of UK society with sausage fingers who are desperate to play guitar but have been unable to do so since you came on the scene? 

7reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    mike_l said:

jd0272 said:

BigJon is 6'6 and plays a Steinberger......
    6'6" pah. Merely a whisker above me (ok, 4" but who's counting?).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585

funstuie said:
    Hi Mark, 

Welcome to the site. I purchased a guitar from you approximately 18 months ago as I was duped by your "perfect for a beginner" and "pro setup" blurb in your auction listing. 

I paid you £140 (plus shipping - despite my offer to come and collect as you live around 10 miles from me, which you refused) for an Encore strat - on a side note there is a very similar guitar in my local charity shop for £45 - I honestly believed your spiel that you had setup this guitar as for a beginner, I believed that it would have a pro setup etc. In all honesty I was very disappointed in the guitar I received from you. For a start it was filthy, if you polished the frets and fretboard you must have used cow shite as your cleaning agent. After that it was dog to play, there was fret buzz all up the neck. When I complained to you about the dirt you claimed that there was nothing you could do after shipping. I offered to bring it back to you in person to save on shipping and packing and you never responded As someone who sells guitars for "beginners" you should offer some sort of after sales service. Just ignoring me was frankly rude. The whole process left me feeling ripped off so I went to a guitar shop in Brighton and purchased a guitar from them which had a free setup (which I was allowed to watch the tech perform and ask questions). That's the guitar I ended up learning on. The one I got from you I just left to rot in the garage. 

After all this I did some research on you and I can see your interactions with other people on your auctions (anyone who questions you is an internet troll apparently), you are not very pleasant to deal with if anyone questions you or makes any suggestion of help or advice. Your work, the guitars you are selling are disgraceful in my opinion. Since purchasing from you I have learned to setup my own guitars and I have done extensive research on improving guitars and I am shocked on the work you publicise as a "pro" but you seem to be selling guitars regularly so you have either tapped into a perverts market or a lot of people are like I was 18 months ago. 

1. Whats with the hard on for ill fitting single coil pickups in humbucker cavities? 
    2. Do you have proof that there is a subset of UK society with sausage fingers who are desperate to play guitar but have been unable to do so since you came on the scene? 

That's quite the damning testimonial.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    edited April 2014
    funstuie said:
    Hi Mark, 

Sorry [deleted by admin]
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Welcome aboard.

I hope you take the time out to listen to folks on here. I'm not an expert by any stretch, in terms of doing, but I understand a lot of electric guitar buildery bits because of this place, and although straight talking, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) here contributes and learns as much as each other.

No one knows everything and none will claim to, but you have a veritable wealth of information at your fingertips right on this forum, and I hope you learn as much as I have :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27974
    ^^ I edited that comment.

I'd prefer that we engaged Mark D Phillips in a constructive debate, rather than slinging abusive comments at him.

So, our forum-normal tolerance levels are much reduced for this thread.  

Keep it clean, non-abusive and objective.  Please.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    I think he's been scared off.  I agree with @theprettydamned this place is choc full of the best of the best in terms of advice. I've never received a snidey reply from anyone and I've learned an incredible amount.
    Welcome aboard.

I hope you take the time out to listen to folks on here. I'm not an expert by any stretch, in terms of doing, but I understand a lot of electric guitar buildery bits because of this place, and although straight talking, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) here contributes and learns as much as each other.

No one knows everything and none will claim to, but you have a veritable wealth of information at your fingertips right on this forum, and I hope you learn as much as I have :)

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    TTony said:
    ^^ I edited that comment.

I'd prefer that we engaged Mark D Phillips in a constructive debate, rather than slinging abusive comments at him.

So, our forum-normal tolerance levels are much reduced for this thread.  

Keep it clean, non-abusive and objective.  Please.
    Sounds more than fair to me.

Mark, I was the one who invited you join the forum- nice to see you here.
    I look forward to you answering some of the questions posed here and will have some of my own, once things die down a bit.
    My deleted comment was somewhat inaccurate, he isn't funny at all.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Hi Mark and welcome to the site.

Firstly, kudos for sticking your head above the parapet.  Also please have a good look around as Im sure you will find a wide range of views and opinion and not simply people who are trolling or here to slag off other members.

Your right that the thread on this site regarding your ebay guitars does indeed get quite vitriolic  at times but within that thread are also remarks from people who buy and sell guitars and those who  make and repairs guitars to a very high quality standard.  These people, well respected for the knowledge, make pertinent points about some of the work you have done.

Many will gladly discuss with you in sensible ways the concerns they have  over how a new player buying their first guitar from you might actually find it harder to play than a basic budget squire, epi or yamaha guitar.

There is a very active classified section here and most of us have bought and sold lots of guitars from each other, so we certainly are not against anyone selling guitars, but we are passionate and knowledgeable and don’t like to see, what appears to be sub,standard work.  The picture of the nut above this post and other images on your ebay sales of the way you have modified 7 string  bridges to take 6 stings are good examples of what appears to be somewhat amateurish work.

I hope you do enter into a discussion here on the site about this and be assured we have an anti-bullying policy so if comments are derogatory or are attacking you on a personal level they will be reported to the mods to consider action.

Richard

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair play to you for having the balls to do this, Mark. I sincerely, albeit with some doubt, hope you uise the experience to learn rather than to go "RA, RA RA!" 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

sir I am offended that my unhelpful comment has been removed and shall continue to make vague references to its content so that the spirit of it's negativity is kept alive... as a champion of people I feel it is my duty to protect and complain.
    here here, we'll be holding a candle-lit vigil for your comment on Friday.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Mr Phillips, you have brass balls (just please don't be tempted to attach them to any guitars). 
    frankus said:

sir I am offended that my unhelpful comment has been removed and shall continue to make vague references to its content so that the spirit of it's negativity is kept alive... as a champion of people I feel it is my duty to protect and complain.
    here here, we'll be holding a candle-lit vigil for your comment on Friday
    Here here! Thanks for keeping it alive y'self Frank and anybody else with a negative opinion of anyone anywhere please hold your tongues.

FROM NOW ON NEGATIVE OPINIONS ARE BANNED.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Thanks Richard,
    It is encouraging to hear not all the members are of the shooting the mouth off variety.
    There was a reason for that rather ancient looking nut and I remember it being on a guitar but I cannot think which or why... it is not the type I always use from stock.
    However, that nut is perfectly functional... what particularly don't you like about it?
    On new players buying my guitars: did you mean buying my wide necked guitars... they are excellent for learners with big hands, but very few are sold to learners as their price is more in the experienced player sphere.
    I failed to spot the pertinent points about my guitars that you say members make... though I suppose I was skimming through fast because I was packing a wide neck acoustic to post later at the same time as i was reading!
    My own hands are just average size and I can play standard necks okay if I have to; but I much prefer my wide neck models and after spending some time on one it makes a standard strat etc feel like playing a toy guitar and it is harder to take it seriously.

So yes please if I can pick up any useful technical tips that will make any time I spend on this site very worthwhile.
    Thanks Richard,
    Mark.......................

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark,

The strings are buried far too deep into the nut they should really only be sitting about halfway into it (maybe a bit more for heavy players), this can make the strings sound dead and create weird overtones.

Will Kelly from vintage guitar magazine gives a good practical explanation (see from about the 4.30 point)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDEIYzxR5PE
    Old Is Gold