Picard (contains spoilers)

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Needs Voyager EMH, T'Pol & Janeway too ! ;)

IMHO it's getting a lot better.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited March 2023
    Y'know...it's no secret that Trek's been dying over the last decade or so, as exemplified by Discovery's cancellation and the crapness of Picard S1/S2. I get the impression that they just didn't know where to go with it, and the studio just gave up and accidentally handed the final season off to the only people left who actually cared about it.

But then...Shaw happened, and they've actually stumbled across a character that everyone loves and wants to see more of.

I wonder what the chances are of them actually learning their lessons, and letting this crew put out a show based around him as Captain once Picard's done with?

I'd certainly watch the hell out of that show (as long as they don't fuck with his character).
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Y'know...it's no secret that Trek's been dying over the last decade or so, as exemplified by Discovery's cancellation and the crapness of Picard S1/S2.
    Strange New Worlds has been superb.  Really looking forward to the new series.

I thought Disco had already finished :/  some great new characters in it, but hugely dissappointing overall.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    Fabulous! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Y'know...it's no secret that Trek's been dying over the last decade or so, as exemplified by Discovery's cancellation and the crapness of Picard S1/S2. I get the impression that they just didn't know where to go with it, and the studio just gave up and accidentally handed the final season off to the only people left who actually cared about it.

But then...Shaw happened, and they've actually stumbled across a character that everyone loves and wants to see more of.

I wonder what the chances are of them actually learning their lessons, and letting this crew put out a show based around him as Captain once Picard's done with?

I'd certainly watch the hell out of that show (as long as they don't fuck with his character).
    They've said they're planning on doing a 25th century show. My guess is they wanted to wait and see which characters were most popular from Picard and use those as the catalyst. A show based around Shaw, Seven & LaForge would be a fantastic place to start.
    edited March 2023
    Obvious question: 

Why do they need JLP's remains??

Also:

Is that Deanna actually a changeling?

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1006
    Jalapeno said:
    Y'know...it's no secret that Trek's been dying over the last decade or so, as exemplified by Discovery's cancellation and the crapness of Picard S1/S2.
    Strange New Worlds has been superb.  Really looking forward to the new series.

I thought Disco had already finished :/  some great new characters in it, but hugely dissappointing overall.

Sad to hear that Discovery isn't already dead.

This means inevitable painful watching of more gormless drivel wrapped in ST clothes

A true waste of resources, when they could have been making more Strange New Worlds.

It's the only good trek in a many a year - everything else from the on line channels has felt like filler, or worse, exploitation of the fetid corpse of a once loved friend.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770
    At this point it's just a huge love letter to star trek

And I'm loving ever damn second of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5903
    I don’t understand a lot of these comments. I think we’re in a golden age of Trek. SNW is totally retro Roddenberry rules Trek. Disco has dragged Trek into all sorts of new places while managing to go backwards and forwards at the same time. Saru must be the singular most ‘trek’ character of all time and Series 1 & 2 of Picard were both genuinely character lead drama. Prodigy is really clever and engaging, if you can get past the first few episodes. And is finally a Trek show aimed at kids. Lower Decks manages to be both pure genius Trek and brilliantly funny. And now we have this series of Picard, which is a total Trek theme park ride. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Isn't this season of Picard just a sequence of cameos wrapped in an over extended old TNG episode (the one with the parasites in the leadership)?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12361
    dazzajl said:
    I don’t understand a lot of these comments. I think we’re in a golden age of Trek. SNW is totally retro Roddenberry rules Trek. Disco has dragged Trek into all sorts of new places while managing to go backwards and forwards at the same time. Saru must be the singular most ‘trek’ character of all time and Series 1 & 2 of Picard were both genuinely character lead drama. Prodigy is really clever and engaging, if you can get past the first few episodes. And is finally a Trek show aimed at kids. Lower Decks manages to be both pure genius Trek and brilliantly funny. And now we have this series of Picard, which is a total Trek theme park ride. 
    Absolutely 100% in agreement with you there.

Discovery found its feet a helluva lot quicker than TNG did, if you want to see BAD Star Trek watch "Code of Honor", or if we are really honest, most of the "turd" season of TOS! 'Threshold" from Voyager... and of course one of the finest bits of unintentional comedy ever written... "Sub Rosa" ... which among other things asks the question "what if they landed on a Scottish planet, met groundskeeper willy, and then Crusher got nailed by a ghost..."

Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds are pure gold, I've enjoyed every episode of Picard to date, though the new series is some of the best Trek ever, period.

I don't get the hate for Discovery, it's fourth series was solid sci fi, the rest have struggles due to being new in S1 and the ropey grim concept of the war, a change of direction while filming s2, and of course a new setting in s3.  Yes some bits irked me (the fleet destroyed by a sad kid, starships with tardis insides) but its never been unenjoyable for me.

Without Disco S2, we wouldn't have Pike, Spock and Una... and that's not a world I want to live in...

Anyone notice nobody ever even suggested Pike might let the kids die to save himself? Why? Because he's a starfleet captain, there is no need to ask. It's things like that which keep me coming back.

Actually as I write this I'm thinking of all the bits of Disco I like, rewatch time! The bit when Vina appears and Pike just knows she's there? Can't wait for that again.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    darthed1981 said:
    ……..starships with tardis insides…….

The turbolift fight scene at the end of series 3? 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    gubble said:
    At this point it's just a huge love letter to star trek

And I'm loving ever damn second of it.

exactly this, it's a complete nostalgia fest for middle aged nerds who loved trek back in the day, but now it's all grown up. It's a show exactly tailored for me and I love it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

dazzajl said:
    darthed1981 said:
    ……..starships with tardis insides…….

The turbolift fight scene at the end of series 3? 
    That's the most egregious example yes.

The new models have sort of retconned tos era ships as bigger but that was daft.

Of course, one could argue a tardis like interior was part of their 32nd century refit I guess...
    Another mention if you are a TNG fan and have somehow never seen "Sub Rosa" stream it TODAY it really is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
    Another mention if you are a TNG fan and have somehow never seen "Sub Rosa" stream it TODAY it really is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
    That is about the only episode of any Trek that I go out of my way to avoid but I will revisit for the comedy :)

Beverly has always been my least favourite character of any series, I was that one person who was gutted when they got rid of the incredible Diana Muldur and brought Crusher back in series three. 
    dazzajl said:
    That is about the only episode of any Trek that I go out of my way to avoid but I will revisit for the comedy :)

Beverly has always been my least favourite character of any series, I was that one person who was gutted when they got rid of the incredible Diana Muldur and brought Crusher back in series three. 

I think one of the worst bits is she was never referred to again - of course there is still time to do so in Picard - but she was written as obviously a call-back to McCoy but they messed it up early on.

McCoy for example, would never have been openly hostile to Data, and in reality you can't imagine a Doctor being tolerated giving shit to the second officer of the fleet flagship, though Starfleet is far more cuddly than the actual military of course.

What really killed her off, as with most of the second series, was the writers strike.  That they somehow got episodes as strong as "Measure of a Man" and "Q-Who" out of season two, in addition to dross like "Shades of Grey" and "Up The Long Ladder" shows just how strong the concept behind TNG was.

I actually re-watched "Up The Long Ladder" a few weeks back... and the depiction of the Irish as drunken, lazy yokels is incredibly offensive.  Given Ireland is currently a technically advanced tax haven sitting just off the UK... what happens between now and the 22nd century... country wide brain damage?  That's before we get started on Riker just flying at the hot homespun Irish girl so fast he might as well have opened with "bend over love" and the murder of half-grown clones...

It episodes like that which make me laugh a bit when people say "Discovery sucks"... it has always been at least competently done, even if people, understandably, don't like some of the directions it took.  However if you watch any of it, it's clearly far, far stronger than trek at it's worst has ever been.

Compared to "The Inner Light", "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Chain of Command", "Emissary", "Duet", "The Way of the Warrior", "The Visitor" (which I can't watch), "The Offspring" etc - MOST things suck - but those are not average Trek episodes.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    Can anyone tell me where I can watch the Star Trek Short Treks?

I never got round to watching them when they were on Netflix for 5 minutes and now I can't find anywhere that is streaming them. I'd rather not buy a DVD!

ta.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Was that a mistake, did they shoot a recent Dr Who episode instead?

Tardis adrift/hiding, babble a bit, run around aimlessly, catch the baddy who actually catches you, run around a bit, cliffhanger...