R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited August 2018
    roberty said:
    @MikeS The GG photos don't look as colour accurate either, a bit washed out. I was sure I wanted dirty lemon until I visited their site this morning

Unusually though, the dirty lemon one shown on the site as sold, which has a bit of flame to the finish, is not actually the one I purchased.

I'm really hoping it's a glitch and they send me the right guitar, as I prefer the plain top that I purposely bought..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited August 2018
    Anyone want to buy my brand new twin humbucker Les Paul BFG that I bought from GuitarGuitar two weeks ago???

Fingers crossed my wife doesn’t notice this new one arrive.........

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5515
    edited August 2018
    Found some crazy reading on these -

(not saying all or any of this is true, but it’s certainly interesting..!)

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2017-historics-the-year-that-wasn’t.405533/ (Copy and paste this link)

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibson-com-and-the-2017-custom-shop-les-paul-standards-historics.396869/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Whitecat said:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2017-historics-the-year-that-wasn’t.405533/ (Copy and paste this link)

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibson-com-and-the-2017-custom-shop-les-paul-standards-historics.396869/

very interesting. a quote from one of the posts:

"Most, if not all, of these 2017 Historics (labeled Standards) were made before the discontinuation of the Historics.

Gibson had a bunch already made in stock for 2017, sitting on shelves. They were released to some dealers just to sell and get rid of the stock they had. They are not something Gibson will probably ever mention on their website.

They were meant to be the 2017 Historic Reissues but after Henry decided to discontinue Historic Reissue Custom Shop guitars for now they became "Standards" to sell the stock they already had produced.

If you want one, other than the ones already produced, they now are considered a M2M order. Whether it be a personal M2M order or a dealer limited run M2M order."
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited August 2018
    MikeS said:
    roberty said:
    @MikeS The GG photos don't look as colour accurate either, a bit washed out. I was sure I wanted dirty lemon until I visited their site this morning

Unusually though, the dirty lemon one shown on the site as sold, #871451, which has a bit of flame to the finish, is not actually the one I purchased.  I actually purchased this...

A plain top dirty lemon #87380, which after I purchased, disappeared off screen and was replaced by a sold #871451.

I'm really hoping it's a glitch and they send me the right guitar, as I prefer the plain top that I purposely bought..

Yeah their website was doing something similar to me earlier. The serial number is in the confirmation though which is reassuring

That plaintop lemon is lovely. I bet it looks much nicer than that in person, like the other ones here. The back looks great too with those big swirls

I was ultimately seduced by the wide, shallow flame on the one I chose

Been a pretty exciting day hasn't it!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5515
    The more I read, the bigger a bargain these become...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    @roberty ; Yep that was it, yours was the one I was going to buy last night =)

Yep, a good day.

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Whitecat said:
    I totally agree.  Having been out of the loop on LPs for a few years it seems that these are basically True Historic R8s for £2499.  Absolutely crazy money.

I really hope mine's a good 'un.  At 8lbs I'm expecting it to be how I like LPs - bright and open with plenty of resonance.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited August 2018
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:

very interesting. a quote from one of the posts:

"Most, if not all, of these 2017 Historics (labeled Standards) were made before the discontinuation of the Historics.

Gibson had a bunch already made in stock for 2017, sitting on shelves. They were released to some dealers just to sell and get rid of the stock they had. They are not something Gibson will probably ever mention on their website.

They were meant to be the 2017 Historic Reissues but after Henry decided to discontinue Historic Reissue Custom Shop guitars for now they became "Standards" to sell the stock they already had produced.

If you want one, other than the ones already produced, they now are considered a M2M order. Whether it be a personal M2M order or a dealer limited run M2M order."
    That would explain why I had so much trouble sourcing the specs on the current Gibson website and 2017 snapshots

From the same thread, allegedly, "the only difference between the (2017) 57, 58, 59 are the tops. The neck specs are all the same". That would fit with what we've been told by Coda today
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited August 2018
    Whitecat said:
    The more I read, the more I'm considering getting another. 

But I only have 1 more kidney to sell. Hmmmm.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4293
    edited August 2018
    terada said:
    Whitecat said:
    The more I read, the more I'm considering getting another. 

But I only have 1 more kidney to sell. Hmmmm.
    I can’t decide Lemon or iced tea. 

Do these really play/feel/sound far superior to a les Paul standard production model? Or are we to expect high spots on frets etc and the usual QC Gibson sloppiness.

Genuine question as I’ve always owned stock standard production models 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    You can expect some QC issues, and feel/play is setup dependent.

Tone is, in my experience, a step up from the regular USA stuff as better woods and electronics are used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    This has pretty much been the "Transfer Deadline Day" FretBoard edition.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    Whilst the deal is awesome I have so many guitars and basses and not enough time. I'm looking at one though.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Such a bloody good job I don’t get on with Les Pauls ;)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3702
    I've just spent almost the exact price of one of those R8's on a new boiler.  :'(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5460
    @terda sod off!  ;)

What really hurts is that there is actually money sitting in the bank account, but it's already ear-marked (new car, garage needs rebuilding, patio needs ripping up and re-doing, bedroom needs destroying and re-doing, we currently have no flooring upstairs etc. etc.). Mrs Snags has tolerated 17+ years in a house blessed with the original cheap'n'shit 70s décor, and both of us are kind of pissed off living like students, just without the mould.  I owe it to her many years of tolerance to restrain my lusts.

Probably.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    This thread would be interesting reading for a psychologist :) there is a strong sense of collective insanity ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24867
    It just goes to show there’s no shortage of demand at the right price. I was in PMT in Salford a few months ago and was amazed that a Les Paul Standard was £2599. The last time I’d been there (admittedly probably a couple of years ago) they were £1999.

I reckon if Standards were £1750ish and CS were £2500-£3000, Gibson would be shifting a lot more guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom