R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    WOW!!!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • terada said:

Wow, these Cherries look waaay better than the stock photos did. I love that!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Sitting with a bottle of wine changing the strings on mine to my usual Elixir’s and this lightweight tailpiece thing is certainly true!
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    gringopig said:
    I've been playing my R8 quite a bit now and my thoughts are:
    Tone (ahem Timbre) between pickups is tighter than my 1968 re-issue. That guitar is all fat jazz on neck and Tele attack on bridge whereas the R8 occupies the zone in between with less difference between pickups and a tighter more mid-range focused sound.

I did a quick video on my smart phone to try and capture a sense of the thing. Amp is a 1978 Fender Twin Reverb and both neck and bridge volumes are on 8 ish:

That sounds fantastic - has that lovely ‘open’ vintage thing going on.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11516
    Had a bit of time with mine now.  Cleans and edge of breakup are stunning through my Lazy J.  Don't have my pedal board at home, and haven't been able to wind the amp up for drive sounds due to wife, daughters, and neighbours.  Drive sounds are really good using Kemper through Studio monitors.

It's not quite as beefy as my old R8, but it's a lot more articulate.

Overall very happy with it.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3327
    mort said:

Think yours is my favourite yet, perfectly understated with some elegant touches in the grain. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    hyperben said:
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    Let’s see it.  Sounds like bull, but we have no idea what it looks like
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 862
    hyperben said:
    Yep @Panama_Jack666 bought one exactly the same, lucky for him he wanted a plain top but it is wrongly advertised as the figured tops as we all know command a higher price.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    There’s been some stunners on here today! I’ll be honest I couldn’t give a monkeys what any of them weigh though! :) They all look like cracking Lesters and I hope everyone enjoys their new purchases! Keep em coming people, it’s an orgy of bursts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    hyperben said:
    Let’s see it.  Sounds like bull, but we have no idea what it looks like
    looking at some pics posted so far, some guys have got figured tops for £2499, but most/many are plain, as described for same price - So somewhat of a F.O.C bonus if you got a figured top

However if they have told you it is figured and that is not the case, then yes sounds out of order and some form of crap has been spun

Quite clear a plain top is a plain top and a figured top a figured top, even if the same price in this promo - granted 'lucky dip' time as you say, but if you are told figured then that is what I'd expect - You obviously have a legal option to return if required, or ask them and see how you get on, about acquiring a figured top as promised - I'd be tempted to call on this and sort it out this way, as against an e-mail that might just be handled by any 'operator' - Try and find someone with authority when you call who can update and administer as required
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3492
    edited August 2018
    Is it a plain top if you can see wood grain? What does figured mean?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    dbphoto said:
    Sitting with a bottle of wine changing the strings on mine to my usual Elixir’s and this lightweight tailpiece thing is certainly true!
    Yeah it's creepy as hell the first few times you pick one up!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    hyperben said:
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

send it back if not happy, write it off to karma with good grace.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

That's a bit rough. Surely he has every right to buy as many as he likes, no?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Its a nice problem to have, but if you're not happy (and for 2.5k you should be) why not send it back?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1108
    I've also blindly ordered a Iced Tea from GG. I prefer plain tops over figured but would be happy with either.

Those who have ordered from GG what have you got plain or figured? 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:

limited sympathy.

That's a bit rough. Surely he has every right to buy as many as he likes, no?
    Have I disputed that?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3492
    edited August 2018
    Ignore me