R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

send it back if not happy, write it off to karma with good grace.
    I’m not after sympathy. I just want to know if I’m misunderstanding what figured top means or not. By the sound of things it was misadvertised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

https://imgur.com/gallery/iYL6DoS
    Yeah, very similar to mine - although I was hoping for plain top so it's sort of worked out for me! 

14 day return policy so maybe think it over. I very much doubt they would dispute it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Adamski said:
    Here’s mine, can’t believe I’ve gotta wait a week to pick her up! 

Fantastic!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    hyperben said:
    “Figured top” R8 

https://imgur.com/gallery/iYL6DoS
    Nope.  Nice, but not figured in any way.  It doesn’t even have strong grain lines.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've started a poll via a VERY quick google form...should take you two seconds to answer. Cheers!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Thanks everyone, it’s going back tomorrow  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    hyperben said:

I’m not after sympathy. I just want to know if I’m misunderstanding what figured top means or not. By the sound of things it was misadvertised.
    It was - they're bullshiting you. Personally, though, I think it looks fantastic.
  • I've started a poll via a VERY quick google form...should take you two seconds to answer. Cheers!

Done. Good idea 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    It is a pretty R8 for sure, but for £2499 I need to be 100%. There’ll be another washed cherry for sale at GG shortly. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    edited August 2018
    There are many things that can occur in wood and be called figure, not just flame. Plain maple is called that because it lacks any of those features.

it terms of structural applications, plain maple needs to be free of any figure.  The grain deviations create a weakness that could cause it to fail.  Thankfully that’s not an issue for guitar tops and we can have the stuff with figure.  In fact it was likely used on old violins because it was rejected  for every other application.

plain maple can be very pretty, but that does not make it figured.  
  • Perhaps they thought "figured" was the opposite of "disfigured"? ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Fifty9 said:
    Adamski said:

Fantastic!
    That's a '59 right? They're so beautiful I could almost cry
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Adamski said:

Hmm.. now here's my issue...  I'm not disputing that it's not a super pretty guitar (it is).. but that big ole line down the centre really irks me. Seen it on lots of them.. is it just the way the light is shining? Would it look more even straight on? 

*Before I'm accused of being the green beast - I don't like Les Pauls.. but I do appreciate a pretty guitar. That is a pretty guitar, but personally I can't see past that unmatched centre line. Still, bet it will feel/sound amazing :)
    LuttiS said:
    Adamski said:

Hmm.. now here's my issue...  I'm not disputing that it's not a super pretty guitar (it is).. but that big ole line down the centre really irks me. Seen it on lots of them.. is it just the way the light is shining? Would it look more even straight on? 

*Before I'm accused of being the green beast - I don't like Les Pauls.. but I do appreciate a pretty guitar. That is a pretty guitar, but personally I can't see past that unmatched centre line. Still, bet it will feel/sound amazing :)
    It’s a hologram created by nature, it will change as you move it around.  

If you have more end grain facing you it looks dark, more side grain looks light.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    Not sure you’d get away without a line unless you did a one piece top. Don’t think I’ve seen any figured 1 piece maple topS
    edited August 2018
    SteveF said:
    Not sure you’d get away without a line unless you did a one piece top. Don’t think I’ve seen any figured 1 piece maple topS
    They exist.  You still find the figure varies a lot from viewing angle, but no hard join line.  

I actually prefer them with the join as you rarely see as consistent figure on a one piece, at least not the sort of figure that looks good on Gibson’s
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Gibson haven't done figured one piece LPs as far as I'm aware, but PRS have made the odd one or two guitars with them  ;)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    WezV said:
    SteveF said:
    They exist.  You still find the figure varies a lot from viewing angle, but no hard join line.  

I actually prefer them with the join as you rarely see as consistent figure on a one piece, at least not the sort of figure that looks good on Gibson’s
    Agreed, I like the symmetry. Preferably bookmatched.