Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists you like in bands that you don't

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5687
A bit of a paradox but there’s one guitarist I really admire; I love his phrasing, his playing, his tone and he’s responsible for some epic moments of seminal guitar history.  But I hate the band with a passion:

David Gilmour and Pink Floyd.  I love the guitarist but can’t stand the band.

Am I alone or do any of you have similar feelings towards a guitarist you like and the band that you don’t?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    I had only read the title and just came in to add.......David Gilmour .   I agree with everything you said .  I have tried but i just can't cope with Pink Floyd.
       Mark Knopfler is a close second - when he was in Dire Straits .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Satriani, in Chickenfoot. I love his playing (particularly the earlier, less-whackadoodle stuff) but I just can't abide Sammy Hagar's voice or puerile lyrics - they ruin everything that could've been good about the band (even if the rest of it isn't exactly groundbreaking stuff).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    Van Halen in Van Halen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    Julian Lage in his own trio. One of the best guitarists I've ever seen live, but his trio plays the most soporific, middle-of-the-road, elevator muzak, tunes. On his hired gun projects, he's amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Carlos Santana.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Chris Buck from Buck and Evans

P.S. Pink Floyd are the best band of all time - I feel the need to say that the way a religious person would defend their chosen deity
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687
    Alvin said:
    I had only read the title and just came in to add.......David Gilmour .   I agree with everything you said .  I have tried but i just can't cope with Pink Floyd.

Glad somebody is on my wave length.

I really want to learn his solo from Comfortably Numb but whenever I play the song the first chord evokes memories I don't even have of a panicked suicidal depression and I get the overwhelming urge to throw myself down a lift shaft.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Haych said:
    Alvin said:

Glad somebody is on my wave length.

I really want to learn his solo from Comfortably Numb but whenever I play the song the first chord evokes memories I don't even have of a panicked suicidal depression and I get the overwhelming urge to throw myself down a lift shaft.

To me the solo is just as sombre as the rest of the song
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5687

Also, any guitarist who has ever worked with Ozzy Osbourne would be high on my list.

I loved Randy, Jake E Lee, Zak Wylde etc but I can't stand anything much to do with Ozzy - he's a talentless ignoramus who surrounds himself with brilliance and soaks up all the credit.  He can't sing for toffee, either!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Marr in The Smiths. Love his playing. Love many of the sounds and songs of The Smiths... until that wet pillock in a cardigan starts droning all over it. 
    Perhaps I should invest in a piece of software which takes out the vocal line.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    Marr in The Smiths. Love his playing. Love many of the sounds and songs of The Smiths... until that wet pillock in a cardigan starts droning all over it. 
    ^^^^this
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    Interesting comments so far and I can agree with both Gilmour and Knopfler - Admiration for both, certainly with regard to the influences they have brought to the guitar market, but I'm not a fan of either band - I don't dislike either band, but I just can't get into them

Totally agree with you @AlexC ref J Marr and The Smiths
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    All of the above really, can't disagree with any of these choices.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Slash...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    That was what was great about the smiths the jangly happy guitar playing along with morrisey's defeatist poetry which shouldn't have worked but did, can see why it doesn't work if you don't like Morrisey who is by all accounts a bit of a tw4t.
  • AlexC said:
    This. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    I was going to say Mark Knopfler.
  • John Mayer in John Mayer
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    George Harrison