Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists you like in bands that you don't

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    57Deluxe said:
    Slash...
    Yep - he seems to like whiney, nasal singers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Ry Cooder in anything where they let him sing
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    AlexC said:
    Marr in The Smiths. Love his playing. Love many of the sounds and songs of The Smiths... until that wet pillock in a cardigan starts droning all over it. 
    Perhaps I should invest in a piece of software which takes out the vocal line.
    This!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5756
    Alvin said:
    Haych said:

Also, any guitarist who has ever worked with Ozzy Osbourne would be high on my list.

I loved Randy, Jake E Lee, Zak Wylde etc but I can't stand anything much to do with Ozzy - he's a talentless ignoramus who surrounds himself with brilliance and soaks up all the credit.  He can't sing for toffee, either!

We are definitly not on the same wave length with Ozzy Osbourne . All of his solo material (ok nearly all) is fantastic , he really has got a great voice and live is a fantastic frontman . 
    Yes we are definitely going to have to differ on this one. A fantastic frontman? Really?

He always had the look of a confused pensioner pacing up and down the stage to me and reminded me of one of those old and primitive autonomous toys....... oh, I’ve run out of stage in that direction, I’ll turn round and follow the stage that way............ I seem to have used up all the stage over here now, best turn round and start again. 

But the world would be a dull place if we all agreed on everything. :)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    TJT1979 said:
    John Frusciante and Flea. I liked Blood Sugar Sex Magik but otherwise a mostly uninspiring band.
    This! Frusciante's playing is so tasteful and distinctive, and the final result is the kind of band who probably go to Burning Man and keep telling you about it, as if it was some sort of religious experience.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6221
    Steve Morse in Deep Purple.. it's a crime for one so talented.

Here he is when not constrained

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    equalsql said:
    I've never felt he was a good fit in Deep Purple at all, but for me it's the other way round... great band, don't like his playing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Thought this was going to be a thread about great players who perhaps haven't yet found a band on their level (like my Buck example) rather than weirdos saying they don't like some of the best bands (and singer) of all time! :P 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 792
    ICBM said:
    gordiji said:
    ICBM said:
    Van Halen in Van Halen.

Sacrilege, the perfect vehicle for his perfect playing.
    But with appalling lyrics... whoever was singing.
    I don't listen to lyrics !
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Haych said:
    Alvin said:
    Haych said:

Also, any guitarist who has ever worked with Ozzy Osbourne would be high on my list.

I loved Randy, Jake E Lee, Zak Wylde etc but I can't stand anything much to do with Ozzy - he's a talentless ignoramus who surrounds himself with brilliance and soaks up all the credit.  He can't sing for toffee, either!

We are definitly not on the same wave length with Ozzy Osbourne . All of his solo material (ok nearly all) is fantastic , he really has got a great voice and live is a fantastic frontman . 
    Yes we are definitely going to have to differ on this one. A fantastic frontman? Really?

He always had the look of a confused pensioner pacing up and down the stage to me and reminded me of one of those old and primitive autonomous toys....... oh, I’ve run out of stage in that direction, I’ll turn round and follow the stage that way............ I seem to have used up all the stage over here now, best turn round and start again. 

But the world would be a dull place if we all agreed on everything. :)
       Very good !  You have just made me realise he does look like one of those toy monkeys with the symbals  when he does his daft hand clapping   (duracell ?)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I've always quite liked that about Ozzy. He's not the best, but he's surrounded himself with people who are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    thegummy said:
    Thought this was going to be a thread about great players who perhaps haven't yet found a band on their level (like my Buck example) rather than weirdos saying they don't like some of the best bands (and singer) of all time! :P 
       @thegummy , i offer to you Deep Purple Mk-2   The Dark Lord  oh yes but with Ian Gillan ???? Music great but the voice is hard to listen to for me .

Now with Mk3 you have Glenn Hughes (who should have sang more) and David Coverdale , just glorious .  But Ritchie didn't like that line up though so even he disagrees .
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6221
    ICBM said:
    equalsql said:
    I've never felt he was a good fit in Deep Purple at all, but for me it's the other way round... great band, don't like his playing.
    I loved the original Deep Purple.. but no so much of the reissue. Steve Morse was great in Dixie Dreggs and as a solo player but I always felt he was a round peg in a square hole when it came to Purple.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3505
    Both Vai and Yngwie in Alcatraz
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    Alvin said:

Now with Mk3 you have Glenn Hughes (who should have sang more)
    No!! Awful singer. He makes a lot of Stormbringer almost unlistenable for me, which is a pity as it's quite a good album.

equalsql said:

I loved the original Deep Purple.. but no so much of the reissue. Steve Morse was great in Dixie Dreggs and as a solo player but I always felt he was a round peg in a square hole when it came to Purple.
    The only reissue Purple that's any good is the reunion with Blackmore - Perfect Strangers and The House Of Blue Light. I'm not a fan of Morse at all, sorry...

Blackmore also has an entry on the theme of great guitarist, terrible band - any Rainbow after Graham Bonnet, and that Deep Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3128
    I would agree about Dire Straits/Knopfler. They're ok, can't say I dislike them or any band really,  but would never survive as a band without him, although I have virtually no experience compared to the vast majority of you guys, even I can tell that he's pretty good!

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Alvin said:
    thegummy said:
       @thegummy , i offer to you Deep Purple Mk-2   The Dark Lord  oh yes but with Ian Gillan ???? Music great but the voice is hard to listen to for me .

Now with Mk3 you have Glenn Hughes (who should have sang more) and David Coverdale , just glorious .  But Ritchie didn't like that line up though so even he disagrees .
    See I really like Gillan, that's my favourite Purple lineup - the Machine Head one.

When I saw them live it was Gillan singing and Morse on the guitar. It was meant to be Jon Lord's last tour but when they came out it was Don Airy so we were all like "aw that's a shame, he must not have been able to make it after all". Then during the extended organ solo of one of the first songs, the lights go out while the solo continues and when they come back on, Lord has taken over without missing a note!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Brian May = Great guitarist

Queen = Over the top pompous drivel.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited November 2018
    Johnny Marr in Modest Mouse
    Adrian Belew in King Crimson (good with Talking Heads) 
    Robert Fripp in King Crimson (good with Bowie and Blondie ) 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited November 2018
    Bonamassa, or at least I prefer when he is the sideman with BCC or with what's her face.

His solo output when downhill fast since Sloe Gin IMO