Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists you like in bands that you don't

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    proggy said:
    Brian May = Great guitarist

Queen = Over the top pompous drivel.
    And yet there has very rarely been a guitarist of his talent who has played so completely for the songs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Joe Walsh and the Eagles. I also enjoy hearing Paul Gilbert outside the bands he’s best known for and away from G3-type settings. He seems to be able to play just about anything and he’s a really engaging bloke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Robert Fripp in King Crimson (good with Bowie and Blondie ) 
    Similar. Love Fripp and his outlook on life, but have mixed feelings about Crimson.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4784
    AlexC said:9
    Marr in The Smiths. Love his playing. Love many of the sounds and songs of The Smiths... until that wet pillock in a cardigan starts droning all over it. 
    Perhaps I should invest in a piece of software which takes out the vocal line.
    +1 I simply cannot stand Morrisey. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    Mike Rutherford in Mike & The Mechanics - dreadful band. But he's good in Genesis...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
      It's mostly a problem with singers that have to high a voice for me (i realise i might be going off the original topic slightly) although i can cope with Focus as it's mostly instrumental and Jan Akkerman always seems forgotten as one of the greats .
       But then you have Budgie even if you don't know them , some of the riffs you would recognise instantly , that's Tony Bourge another who seemed to dissapear ( perhaps out of choice ? ) . I always felt if Burke Shelley stuck to bass and they had another singer they would have been much bigger . He is difficult to listen to but i try and tune him out as the music is so good .
       Would anybody be surprised if i said i can't listen to Rush ?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16257
    Rusty Anderson or Lawrence Juber playing for that old Turtle impersonator who should have called it a day and quit while he was ahead 25 years ago
  • I agree on Gilmour and sort of agree on Van Halen. I find most VH albums a pretty disappointing listen from a songs point of view, but Eddie's guitar playing is the sound of VH and it's incredible, so it's impossible to imagine how you can say "his playing deserved better than cock rock" when his playing singlehandedly invented the sound of cock rock.

For me the big one is George Lynch in Dokken. And Schenker in UFO. If someone made a supercut of all the solos from Strangers In the Night it would be a huge improvement on the released album. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Alvin said:
      It's mostly a problem with singers that have to high a voice for me (i realise i might be going off the original topic slightly) although i can cope with Focus as it's mostly instrumental and Jan Akkerman always seems forgotten as one of the greats .
    <snip>
    This is why I can't deal with Rush. Three brilliant musicians, but Geddy's voice just ruins it for me.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23493
    DeeTee said:
    Alvin said:
      It's mostly a problem with singers that have to high a voice for me
    <snip>
    This is why I can't deal with Rush. Three brilliant musicians, but Geddy's voice just ruins it for me.

Noooooo!   I love Geddy Lee's voice.

I agree on Gilmour and sort of agree on Van Halen. I find most VH albums a pretty disappointing listen from a songs point of view, but Eddie's guitar playing is the sound of VH and it's incredible, so it's impossible to imagine how you can say "his playing deserved better than cock rock" when his playing singlehandedly invented the sound of cock rock.

For me the big one is George Lynch in Dokken. And Schenker in UFO. If someone made a supercut of all the solos from Strangers In the Night it would be a huge improvement on the released album. 

They certainly contributed great playing to some so-so albums, but Schenker and Lynch aren't great songwriters.  I think UFO and (even more so) Dokken are better than their respective solo bands. 

I agree with you about Van Halen, EVH pretty much has complete control (apart from indulging Roth a bit) so it's not as if the band were holding him back.

So, a guitarist I like in a band I don't - Reb Beach in Whitesnake. 

He's absolutely fantastic in Winger but Whitesnake are shit and so - in that context - is Reb, unfortunately.

• yet another vote for Johnny Marr in the smiths  some great riffs but could not stand that excuse for a singer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    DeeTee said:
    Alvin said:
      It's mostly a problem with singers that have to high a voice for me
    <snip>

Noooooo!   I love Geddy Lee's voice.

I agree on Gilmour and sort of agree on Van Halen. I find most VH albums a pretty disappointing listen from a songs point of view, but Eddie's guitar playing is the sound of VH and it's incredible, so it's impossible to imagine how you can say "his playing deserved better than cock rock" when his playing singlehandedly invented the sound of cock rock.

They certainly contributed great playing to some so-so albums, but Schenker and Lynch aren't great songwriters.  I think UFO and (even more so) Dokken are better than their respective solo bands. 

I agree with you about Van Halen, EVH pretty much has complete control (apart from indulging Roth a bit) so it's not as if the band were holding him back.

Eddie VH messed around with all sorts of stuff in Van Halen ( synths, trad jazz, blues, faux flamenco,etc) and did a bunch of side gigs ( I’m sure we all remember those songs he did with Thomas Dolby...). I’m not really sure what potential went untapped. I’m not sure that all the lyrics were totally dumb either, well maybe the Hagar era ones but Roth had his moments and understood that rock lyrics have to sound good even if they don’t read well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16257
    Nuno in Extreme
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Prince.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    equalsql said:
    Steve Morse in Deep Purple.. it's a crime for one so talented.
    I've never felt he was a good fit in Deep Purple at all, but for me it's the other way round... great band, don't like his playing.
    I sort of agree... I think they were a great band, but aren't any more.  I've got several of the Morse-era albums and in every case after a couple of plays they've just gone on a shelf to gather dust (or in a pile, somewhere).  Morse himself certainly doesn't contribute anything of interest.  

(On the other hand I do really like the Glenn Hughes era!  But I can't stand Hughes (or Coverdale) nowadays.)
  • Frank Zappa
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5756
    proggy said:

See, for me this is the other way around, I really like Queen as a band but as a guitarist I just don't like Brian, which is sacrilegious, I know. 

DeeTee said:
    Alvin said:
    <snip>
    Geddy does have a "unique" voice for sure.  I can fully understand why his voice puts people off but he can sing (if hitting notes on pitch is singing lol), or at least he could - I started to think that his live singing, at least, was becoming very indistinct for the last few years before they called time on the whole shebang.  He could have been singing nursery rhymes and nobody would have known otherwise.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8210
    Haych said:
    proggy said:

See, for me this is the other way around, I really like Queen as a band but as a guitarist I just don't like Brian, which is sacrilegious, I know. 
    Get out.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Any one said Bernard Butler in Suede yet?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom