Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists you like in bands that you don't

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    Octafish said:
    I'll probably be strung up for posting this on a guitar forum, but Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. For me he was a amazing player with great feel/sound. I wanted to like his music, but most of it is dire and repetitive and Double Trouble were awful soulless, lumpy, meat and veg rythym section admittedly not helped by the dreadful 80s production.
    I think his best playing was on Bowie's Let's Dance. I don't really like much of anything else I've heard, and as you say it's not his playing that's really the problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited November 2018
    ICBM said:
    Octafish said:
    I'll probably be strung up for posting this on a guitar forum, but Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. For me he was a amazing player with great feel/sound. I wanted to like his music, but most of it is dire and repetitive and Double Trouble were awful soulless, lumpy, meat and veg rythym section admittedly not helped by the dreadful 80s production.
    I think his best playing was on Bowie's Let's Dance. I don't really like much of anything else I've heard, and as you say it's not his playing that's really the problem.
    Yes, somewhat agree. Bowie was a jammy git, Nile Rodgers and SRV as your guitarists o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Richard Thompson. I've heard him play some amazing stuff on other peoples' records, but haven't heard anything of his own that I've liked.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 786

I'm a Pink Floyd fanatic and to me, PF post-Waters as well as Gilmour's later solo stuff sounds like Floyd but very much lacking the magic whereas Waters' solo stuff has great lyrics but musically is very far from Floyd for the most part.

I went to see Waters live this year and it was a lifetime dream - my favourite songwriter and head man of my lifetime favourite band but it was heartbreakingly disappointing. Partly because it was half a gig, half an anti-Trump political rally and partly (not Waters' fault) that it was one of the quietest gigs I've been to and was on one of the heatwave days so it was hard to hear the music over loads of pissed up middle aged people yapping away as if they weren't at a £110 quid a ticket gig!
    This is also why it's better to go watch ozzy pink floyd. It's like a floyd gig before the wall era after which you could only see them in venues too large to be any good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Octafish said:
    I'll probably be strung up for posting this on a guitar forum, but Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. For me he was a amazing player with great feel/sound. I wanted to like his music, but most of it is dire and repetitive and Double Trouble were awful soulless, lumpy, meat and veg rythym section admittedly not helped by the dreadful 80s production. Also his cover of Little Wing has all the subtlety of administering a suppository with a club hammer.

Already nominated him ! However  i must correct you on your misconceptions. Littlewing is a masterpiece of beautiful alpha to omega guitar playing ; that you prefer Hendrix's version is personal taste. His drummer & bass were fine and perfectly adapted to his style. The songwriting & vocals however being the weakspot. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    gordiji said:
    Octafish said:
    I'll probably be strung up for posting this on a guitar forum, but Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. For me he was a amazing player with great feel/sound. I wanted to like his music, but most of it is dire and repetitive and Double Trouble were awful soulless, lumpy, meat and veg rythym section admittedly not helped by the dreadful 80s production. Also his cover of Little Wing has all the subtlety of administering a suppository with a club hammer.

Already nominated him ! However  i must correct you on your misconceptions. Littlewing is a masterpiece of beautiful alpha to omega guitar playing ; that you prefer Hendrix's version is personal taste. His drummer & bass were fine and perfectly adapted to his style. The songwriting & vocals however being the weakspot. 
    I think you mean you must correct my opinion with your opinion as that's all it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5805
    Octafish said:
    gordiji said:
    Octafish said:

I think you mean you must correct my opinion with your opinion as that's all it is.
    No, he’s right. He said so ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23107
    gordiji said:
    This is also why it's better to go watch ozzy pink floyd.
    I particularly enjoy their medley of Astronomy Domine and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dazzajl said:
    Octafish said:
    gordiji said:
    Octafish said:

No, he’s right. He said so ;) 
    Oh yes, well spotted =)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5805
    Philly_Q said:
    gordiji said:
    This is also why it's better to go watch ozzy pink floyd.
    I particularly enjoy their medley of Astronomy Domine and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
    I don’t know about you, but I’d pay to hear that :)
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    AlexC said:
    Marr in The Smiths. Love his playing. Love many of the sounds and songs of The Smiths... until that wet pillock in a cardigan starts droning all over it. 
    Perhaps I should invest in a piece of software which takes out the vocal line.
    yep, my thoughts exactly. 

Octafish said:

;)
  • haven't read all the posts in this thread but Yngwie Malmsteen comes to mind. Never liked any of the "musicians" he had in his band, but he's a phenomenal player. I always wondered how he couldn't get better people to play with but maybe the better players don't like what he'd ask them to play, or just don't like his attitude.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    haven't read all the posts in this thread but Yngwie Malmsteen comes to mind. Never liked any of the "musicians" he had in his band, but he's a phenomenal player. I always wondered how he couldn't get better people to play with but maybe the better players don't like what he'd ask them to play, or just don't like his attitude.
    You mean better musicians like this?

I can only assume they were being well paid...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    haven't read all the posts in this thread but Yngwie Malmsteen comes to mind. Never liked any of the "musicians" he had in his band, but he's a phenomenal player. I always wondered how he couldn't get better people to play with but maybe the better players don't like what he'd ask them to play, or just don't like his attitude.

Often when I'm listening to a good orchestra I have the thought "what would be the best way to ruin this?"...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Ha, ha I skimmed through about 10-12 random points in that video and every time I stopped it was endless "widdly dee, widdly dee, widdly dee, widdly dee". As James Brown would say 'Talkin loud and sayin nothing'....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Octafish said:
    ICBM said:

Ha, ha I skimmed through about 10-12 random points in that video and every time I stopped it was endless "widdly dee, widdly dee, widdly dee, widdly dee". As James Brown would say 'Talkin loud and sayin nothing'....
    I watched it from the start, the first piece is just the orchestra itself and quite nice and I was thinking "this will be really interesting when the guitar joins in" expecting some tasteful playing that fit with the orchestra. Then he comes out with high gain shredding that didn't, IMO, fit with an orchestra in the slightest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt Bellamy - good player, but Muse do little or nothing for me. I know it wouldn’t exactly be Muse without him, but suffice to say I like his playing and that’s about it.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Marty Friedman in Megadeth. I only like Megadeth from his era with the band. Dave Mustaine sings like he's shitting a hedgehog.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• carloscarlos Frets: 3465
    ICBM said:

They're orchestra musicians. So they're paid for their breaks which are all scheduled. They finish on time. They get paid extra for overtime. They get all sorts. Yeah, they definitely get paid. If you could afford it, it could be you or me making fools of ourselves instead of YJM.