Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    edited July 2019
    How many times have we heard the “this weekend I MUST get a car” line now?

How many perfectly reasonable suggestions that fits his criteria then gets dismissed at a glance without any thought?

He has asked for help, we have given it.  He had asked for advice, we have given it, all ignored.

im just here for the lolz now, you have to be a fool to help him anymore with any suggestions.  You will just get some stupid reasons from him to reject the car.  

The issue stems from the fact that he has had a company car all his life and all of them would have been new, he has no frame of reference what the bottom of the market looks like, he is putting new car conditions in a £3k used Mercedes......it’s like trying to explain to Donald Trump it’s not okay to walk in front of the Queen.  A 3k Merc is £3k for a reason, something will be wrong with it...or I could make a joke about him fixing it with a spanner and his ODB2 reader.

His expectation is way up, the reality is he should be looking at way down here but his neck is looking at the wrong direction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Emp_Fab said:
    Iamnobody said:
    83 posts since I looked this morning and still no car. Is it possible for the modmins to have a system that notifies us all by PM when Emp has bought one? 
    I’m not arsed about what car Emp gets anymore; I’m only checking the updates to keep an eye Raymond’s meltdown.

You know that's as insulting as saying "Just buy A fucking guitar" don't you ?

By the way, how's that Tele build going? Have you sourced any Ark Gopher wood for the neck yet?
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    I'm very experienced with buying cars.  I've tried very hard along the way to help him.  He doesn't want to listen, yet he has zero experience himself.  I'll not be offering any further help, I'll just watch and snigger.  Many other people here have offered sensible suggestions, but they've fallen on deaf ears too.  Just let him buy an absolute lemon, he deserves all he gets.  Next year when he may get a car, I'm certain I won't like the colour !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Emp_Fab said:
    Iamnobody said:
    83 posts since I looked this morning and still no car. Is it possible for the modmins to have a system that notifies us all by PM when Emp has bought one? 
    I’m not arsed about what car Emp gets anymore; I’m only checking the updates to keep an eye Raymond’s meltdown.

You realise it was aimed at Raymond don’t you?

Anyway - I’d never suggest anyone just buys “a” guitar ;)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I reckon you should have gone for that V40 you fancied about 30 pages back, the one with no service history. 

Tell the guy you'll give him his price IF he gets it serviced at a main dealer.  Or knock him down £500 and take it yourself.

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    If it takes 3 months to buy a temporary car, I dread to think how long it takes for Emperor Fabulous to buy a guitar. 
    Nitefly said:
    I reckon you should have gone for that V40 you fancied about 30 pages back, the one with no service history. 

Tell the guy you'll give him his price IF he gets it serviced at a main dealer.  Or knock him down £500 and take it yourself.

Or that red Velostar because it was the wrong shade of red or the one which has too low mileage...yup, he rejected one because of the mileage was too low.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    Emp_Fab said:
    Iamnobody said:

Hang on a minute...do you mean to say that you're now buying multiple cars?
    <space for hire>
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    When my Galaxy got totalled it took me three days to buy a new vehicle.. 

Cos like any self respecting male they have a fair idea of what they want and need. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24677
    I'm very experienced with buying cars.  I've tried very hard along the way to help him.  He doesn't want to listen, yet he has zero experience himself.  I'll not be offering any further help, I'll just watch and snigger.  Many other people here have offered sensible suggestions, but they've fallen on deaf ears too.  Just let him buy an absolute lemon, he deserves all he gets.  Next year when he may get a car, I'm certain I won't like the colour !
    Awww c'mon dude !  Just enjoy the ride !  It's only a frigging car...  and whatever I get, it will perform adequately as a car.  That goes for bag-o'shite Fiats and Renaults all the way to the pinnacle of automotive excellence, the Hyundai Veloster.  I'm not spending millions on it - I'm buying a cheap used car.  Don't be so bitter!

Wow....  people not taking advice, or trying to combine that with finding their own way isn't well tolerated it would seem.

To be honest, this thread started out as a genuine request for advice, but with so many opinions (including my own - shock horror!) it wasn't going to be a clear-cut choice.  Then people start having tantrums because I haven't immediately followed their instructions... sorry, advice !

I've been told to only buy privately, only from a dealer, get a Kia with some warranty left, an old Celica, a Renault Wind, a Skoda, a Golf Diesel, Don't get a Diesel, a Mondeo, Don't get a Focus, Get a Focus !, Don't get a Volvo, Get a Volvo !, (Everyone: GET AN MX5 !!!), Get the Mazda ! - DON'T GET THE MAZDA - THE ENGINES ARE SHIT !, Get a Fiesta, Get a 3L BMW !, Get a Mini Countryman, DON'T get a BMW - they stretch timing chains all the time, Avoid all VAG cars, Buy an Audi TT !!, (Everyone: GET AN MX5 !!!), Get a Fiat 500, Get a Skoda Octavia, Get an MR2, DON'T GET A DIESEL !!!, That's bollocks - just get a Diesel......   

Followed by everyone: "FFS EMP, You're SO indecisive !!!  Just take MY advice and get what I told you !!!!!!".

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    There he goes blaming OTHER people for his own incompetence.  Blaming us for giving him options after he asked for them.  

Do you really want to help him?

/grabs popcorn
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    Emp_Fab said:
    Awww c'mon dude !  Just enjoy the ride !  It's only a frigging car...  and whatever I get, it will perform adequately as a car.  That goes for bag-o'shite Fiats and Renaults all the way to the pinnacle of automotive excellence, the Hyundai Veloster.  I'm not spending millions on it - I'm buying a cheap used car.  Don't be so bitter!

Wow....  people not taking advice, or trying to combine that with finding their own way isn't well tolerated it would seem.

To be honest, this thread started out as a genuine request for advice, but with so many opinions (including my own - shock horror!) it wasn't going to be a clear-cut choice.  Then people start having tantrums because I haven't immediately followed their instructions... sorry, advice !

I've been told to only buy privately, only from a dealer, get a Kia with some warranty left, an old Celica, a Renault Wind, a Skoda, a Golf Diesel, Don't get a Diesel, a Mondeo, Don't get a Focus, Get a Focus !, Don't get a Volvo, Get a Volvo !, (Everyone: GET AN MX5 !!!), Get the Mazda ! - DON'T GET THE MAZDA - THE ENGINES ARE SHIT !, Get a Fiesta, Get a 3L BMW !, Get a Mini Countryman, DON'T get a BMW - they stretch timing chains all the time, Avoid all VAG cars, Buy an Audi TT !!, (Everyone: GET AN MX5 !!!), Get a Fiat 500, Get a Skoda Octavia, Get an MR2, DON'T GET A DIESEL !!!, That's bollocks - just get a Diesel......   

Followed by everyone: "FFS EMP, You're SO indecisive !!!  Just take MY advice and get what I told you !!!!!!".

I can't enjoy the ride, you've nothing to offer me a ride in !

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24677
    That did make me laugh :lol: 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    So how the fack did you end up with Hyundai then?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    Sweet Jesus.

i commented on this twice, and now have 397 notifications when I log in.

Dare I ask whether we have a car money shot?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Iamnobody said:

Hang on a minute...do you mean to say that you're now not buying multiple cars?
    Easiest FTFY in a while. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    JerkMoans said:

i commented on this twice, and now have 397 notifications when I log in.

You can set the notifications so that you don't get notified every time a thread you posted on is updated.

JerkMoans said:

Dare I ask whether we have a car money shot?
    You can ask!

There are a lot of ways to answer that

nee
    jo
    naï
    awa
    laa
    votch
    xeyir
    ez
    na
    lla
    aïlle
    ne
    nann

no
    pù shi

ne
    ne
    nej
    nee
    no
    ne
    ei
    nei
    ei
    non
    nee
    no
    non
    nanni
    ara
    nein
    ohi
    nahániri
    non
    ʻaole
    lo
    nahin
    nem
    nei
    mba
    tidak
    no
    iié
    ala
    thay
    ve
    oya
    ahneo
    no / na
    bo
    kâni

no
    te
    ne
    nee
    neen
    не (ne)
    tsia
    tidak
    le
    kaore
    ugui (Yгvй)
    nei
    non
    nei
    нæй
    no
    nie
    não
    na
    nu
    niet
    no
    ag
    ne
    aiwa
    na
    nae
    nie
    ne
    ne

no
    nej
    aita
    illaï
    yuk
    kadhu
    hayir
    Ні (ni)
    neni
    nage
    déedéet
    nein
    rara
    cha

https://www.freelang.net/expressions/no.php

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    What is wrong with french cars?  The DS3 is a good car and probably fits all of your other criteria.citroen-ds3-dstyle-plus-in-yellow-and-white

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2508
    What is wrong with french cars?  The DS3 is a good car and probably fits all of your other criteria.citroen-ds3-dstyle-plus-in-yellow-and-white
    Personally, I'd never own another French car. All 3 of the Renaults I've experienced (Laguna, Mégane and Clio) have had issues.

The Laguna had cooling issues, the Mégane had oxygen sensors in the exhaust keep breaking, and in the end the Clio was going to need a new ECU and wiring loom so I traded it in against a Hyundai i30 which was totally reliable.

On the other hand my uncle had driven nothing but Peugeots and an occasional Citroen for the last 25 years and has never had any issues. He tends trade them in at 3 years old though.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    edited July 2019

Keep going wrong.  My previous car was a Citroen. Wouldn't get one again.

Whatever else you think about Emp's criteria, he's right about that.

Not just reliability, but the way it was built.  The tailgate was plastic, and you couldn't put a bike rack on it.  The seats were awful compared to the ones we have in the Toyota we have now.  The steering feels a lot better in the Toyota as well.