Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Abuse from ebay seller

What's Hot
KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
Saw a guitar I thought was massively overpriced but as it's close to where I live and it was 'best offer' I messaged the seller saying price is too high thinking he might reply with an offer. Yeah, right...

In exchange for my quick message I've received three. Names I've been called: pathetic, idiotic, morron, jerk, clown and a few more I feel reluctant to share.
Seller's a retired guy who calls himself honest, with over 600 positive feedback, also very encouraging to get in touch with any questions.

Seriously WTF is wrong with people??? 
Getting shit like that when you try to be a nice guy makes you appreciate this place even more. Thanks Fretboard, really.
6reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    I didn't know Victor Meldrew was a guitarist. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    mbe said:
    That's the guy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    You will never manage to get an apology from him so just stop reading his messages and move on. Look around long enough and far enough and something else will eventually turn up for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Forward the messages to Ebay.

But in future, don't waste time trying to tell people their stuff is overpriced, it never works.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 30reaction image Wisdom
    I've blocked him right after, not even expecting an apology or whatever. Maybe except another insult lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    What was it and how much ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Just had a thought... it wasn't a guy who also has a ludicrously overpriced "125W Vox AC30" (which is actually a V125 combo, but he won't accept that), is it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm... Let me check. At first I thought he's the essexrecordingstudio Yankie boy but that's in opposite direction.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5057
    Yeah name him, so we can all tell him that his price is too high - sometimes pressure groups work!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Why not just make your best offer? 

If I were the seller, I'd have simply ignored you. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14521
    IMO, it should be taken as read that nearly all private seller e-Bay auction items are overpriced by enough to recoup the various fees.

Some times, it might work to send a message to the vendor, explaining that you are about to make an opening offer with the sole intention of it being the starting point for some old fashioned haggling.

You might get a polite reply suggesting that you do not bother. You might get abuse. 

Some vendors NEED to sell. Others are just trying it on. Steer clear of the latter.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I had a similar situation with a seller on eBay. Made a reasonable offer a little under the asking price on a guitar only to receive lots of abuse back and that ‘ I should stick to my shitty guitars’ and various other abusive comments 

Turns out he’s a member here and the guitar still hasn’t sold nearly 6 months on 
    15reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Why not just make your best offer? 

If I were the seller, I'd have simply ignored you. 

Fair enough. He didn't though...

@ICBM yep, same fella. Not surprised anymore and should've added 2+2 as I've seen this thread before:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/7216/vox-ac30-gumtree-how-not-to-sell-an-amp
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And in turn some buyers are buying, and some aren't. Stay clear of the latter. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    KrisGee said:
    mbe said:
    That's the guy!
    I don't believe it!
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    FYI, I had an amicable chat with the bloke a while back when he was looking to sell a Japanese Rickenfaker bass for more than a real Ric; he suggested that he'd likely be selling it to Japan, where buyers were more refined.

I've had several fakers and currently seem to have 3, and I've never seen one worth as much as a real Ric.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    eBay is becoming a worse place to buy or sell by the day. Sellers seem to want daft money, especially some of the bedroom sellers, buyers want to low ball and then try and rip you off as a seller, due to the total lack of protection.

Unless something special comes up, I’d rather pay a bit more from one of the great guitar shops we have such as Peach, Coda, Guitars4You etc.

As for the op, I don’t get a seller getting stroppy. If you feel someone is low balling, tell them they’re not getting what you’re selling for what they’re offering and move on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    I received a long message from a buyer telling me my item was overpriced  and would never sell and urging me to drop the price .I ignored him .A few hours  later it sold  but not to him .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Any abuse should be reported
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    I have never understood the overly optimistic bedroom sellers. In this day and age when you can find out everything through a smartphone.

I get the flipside as well though with piss taking offers. It is hard to resist going back with something sarcastic. As always it's best to take a dignified silence.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom