Victory V30 video

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    fastboy said:
    I think where I'm going with this is do we think Rob Chapman has had any type of major influence of music or sold enough records that warrants signature gear? Personally I don't. 

Do you think many out of that 100,000 subscribers are non guitarists? I'd be surprised it was even 2%. If you said to me he had 1 Mill + I'd start to be impressed (and massively surprised) but say they sold 10,000 records for arguments sake, I suspect most record companies would be pushing them towards the exit door. 
    That's exactly the point. 

Vai doesn't get endorsements to recognise his great ability, he gets endorsements because 99% of his fans are also guitarists which makes them a very targeted audience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    edited May 2014
    fastboy said:
    I think where I'm going with this is do we think Rob Chapman has had any type of major influence of music or sold enough records that warrants signature gear? Personally I don't. 

Do you think many out of that 100,000 subscribers are non guitarists? I'd be surprised it was even 2%. If you said to me he had 1 Mill + I'd start to be impressed (and massively surprised) but say they sold 10,000 records for arguments sake, I suspect most record companies would be pushing them towards the exit door. 

Vai doesn't get endorsements to recognise his great ability, he gets endorsements because 99% of his fans are also guitarists which makes them a very targeted audience. 
    But people buy Vai's records :D

(his website quotes over 15,000,000 sold)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    fastboy said:
    fastboy said:

It matters not a shit to Ibanez as long as they buy his guitars. 

Look at Tom Quayle. Sig Wampler pedal but virtually no music sold, or even GG front page of the Charvel site, but effectively bugger all records sold and none of them to non guitarists. 

• fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    fastboy said:
    fastboy said:

It matters not a shit to Ibanez as long as they buy his guitars. 

I get that bit, I just think it's a bit mickey mouse in certain cases like Chappers given that he's not a massively successful recording artist.

As for Tom Quayle, never heard of the bloke so I just had to look him up. Obviously doing gear reviews or lessons for people to listen to through 1/2 inch computer speakers seems to be the way to get signature stuff these days. I must be archaic then as it used to be actually successful recording artists who had signature gear. I'd definitely not buy something with Tom Quayle or Chappers signature on it and in fact, I'd probably run the other way and not try it because it had their name on it but that's just me. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    fastboy;247853" said:
    I saw on Andertons website earlier that they had a Victory Rob Chapman signature edition and I sat there and thought, really ?????

It seems you don't even have to write music these days that people would actually buy (apart from probably by a few fan boys) and just have a youtube channel to get signature gear in the shops. 

Its 2014 grandad, get wiv the prog. Yootoob rulz

Seriously, you do sound a little bit like you're from tunbridge wells.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    edited May 2014
    I'd buy whatever suited me best and not give one flying fuck who had their sig on it. 

Any old Les Paul is a signature guitar innit? I'll bet most people who play one ain't jazzers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Also, this amp would suit me perfectly for at home and maybe part of a stereo rig. 

Maybe knocked down to 50 - 60% though. 
  • Panama_Jack666;248042" said:
    fastboy said:

Panama_Jack666 said:

fastboy said:

I saw on Andertons website earlier that they had a Victory Rob Chapman signature edition and I sat there and thought, really ?????

It seems you don't even have to write music these days that people would actually buy (apart from probably by a few fan boys) and just have a youtube channel to get signature gear in the shops. 

He does write music doesn't he? He's in Dorje and Red Tower.

I know that, I did actually say music that people want to buy beyond an exceptionally small majority. 

A Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Slash, Clapton, Beck signature something I can understand. A Rob Chappers signature? Yeh, maybe not :D

Ah right, I get you! Well, he's got over 100,000 You Tube subscribers. He must be doing something right! Even if 10% of the 100,000 bought a record... that'd still be about 9,990 more records than I've sold! Ha!
    Still a way off the millions that Page, slash and EVH have under their belts
  • I wouldn't touch a Rob Chapman product. The guy is a joker.

Though I wish I could have a sig amp simply from acting like beavis and butthead and playing the same licks over and over again to impressionable teenage boys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I have tried to remain quiet and/or impartial but I own two chapman guitars and they are great. And for context I have been playing over 20 years and have owned many guitars so it's not like I'm an idiot who hasn't played a good guitar.

Wether you like chappers or not he is making a living out of what he does and you can't knock him for that. Can he come across as a tit? Yes sometimes he can but so does ynggwie malmsteen and people still buy shit with his name on it. Everyone is allowed an opinion and that is fine all I'm saying is would it not make sense to try something before giving it a bashing?

I'm working in London on Tuesday/Wednesday next week and I plan on trying out the v30 and a silverback and then I will decide if either of them are right for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    fastboy said:
    Why does selling records matter in this day and age? It only mattered 20 years ago (and earlier) because that's the only way people could become well-known; the records sold were at best just an indicator of (and at worst utterly incidental to) the fact that they had lots of people who listened to them.

He may not have had a major influence on music in general, but he has had a major influence on thousands (rough guess) of teenagers beginning to play. That's not nothing - quite the contrary, in fact.

He's got a captive audience of 165,000-odd subscribers, almost all of whom are guitarists. That means that they're exactly the market that Victory want to target.

Aside from anything, it's not like the Silverback is a) being aggressively marketed as Rob's signature amp, or b) emblazoned with his name all over it. Gotta say, though, I much preferred the feature set before they stripped it all down, when it was still a three-channel amp.

Will I buy from Chapman Guitars? No. Will I buy a Silverback (or any Victory amp)? No. Doesn't stop me respecting the fact that Rob's achieved a hell of a lot for a guy who basically makes videos playing guitar.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Wisdom.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    Jesus titty-f@#*ing Christ, the hate for Rob really is boring now. If you don't like his music, don't listen to it. If you don't like his videos, don't watch them. If you don't like his guitars/amp, don't buy them. It really is as simple as that.

It really is starting to sound a little childish.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Monkeybone;249706" said:
    Jesus titty-f@#*ing Christ, the hate for Rob really is boring now. If you don't like his music, don't listen to it. If you don't like his videos, don't watch them. If you don't like his guitars/amp, don't buy them. It really is as simple as that.

It really is starting to sound a little childish.
    But if we stop endlessly rehashing the same debates like the Bi-monthly 'Rob Chapman is a dick' row I worry that we might resort to starting really inane threads along the lines of the 'Post pics of your (insert pointlessly specific criteria) guitar' threads that infest TGP..
    If nothing else the rolling abuse threads yield some really good new insults that can be taken off forum and incorporated into your daily arsenal !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Can we get back to the price, £700 odd for a small PCB valve head ! 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Aye I reckon I'll wait for the used market on this one. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Does seem a lot of money, I'd be intrigued to play one. I don't really think any youtube video does a product justice.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Even as a PCB amp the V30'is still British made,,in the same factory and to the same standards that Cornford Roadhouses were apparently (confirmed in an e mail to one of the guys on chappers forum) so they are certainly being marketed above that price point.

Same old same old though, if you really like it, you'll go for it!
  • 700 quid doesn't seem *stupid* money for a quality 30 watt valve amp.

Pcb is a good thing - if anything goes bad, the pcb should (if it's been designed well) be removable and replaceable with a new board, plug and play! It also guarantees consistency.

I still think I'd go to mjw or jpf and see what that sort of money would get me, though some folk love how those cornford amps sounded.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Oh I pointed out the PCB cos it's a labour saving part of the manufacture, not because I see using PCB's as sub standard. 

To me it seems a lot of money, £700 will get you a lot more than than a small 30 watt head. I know people will pay for the name, i spose as long as they know it's the name they are paying for rather than the sum of the parts it's not a problem
    www.2020studios.co.uk