The boring pedal tuner thread

What's Hot
LewLew Frets: 1657
edited September 2013 in Guitar
Yo, so... which pedal tuner do you use and why?

TU-3 accurate to 1 cent. Could survive a bomb. £69.99

Korg Pitchblack accurate to 1 cent. Looks like it could be broken by a midget in slippers. Can survive tubby guys in boots. Derp Knightrider display £49.99

GOGO tuner accurate to 0.5 cent. Looks badass. MXR size. Pain in the arse to get as I couldn't find a UK dealer? $69.99 + shipping and customs.

Tc Polytune2 accurate to 0.1 cent. Great display. Polyphonic as well as Chromatic £69.99

Peterson Strobostromp accurate to 0.1 cent. Pretty massive and ugly. People swear by 'em. Expensive at £200 ish? 

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner accurate to .02 cent!! Very accurate, excellent display and durability. Can be a pain in the ass to see the display in sun. Overpriced in the UK? $129.99 / £129.99

Forgot any?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    I've had them all.
    I currently have a Peterson and TC Polytune.
    The Polytune annoys me as it is slow sometimes.
    The Peterson is flawless and has a great DI that I've tracked bass through on various albums with no complaints.

The Turbo Tuner is an excellent bit of kit- I lost mine after a gig though, probably got nicked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2013
    lol out of all the gear they could have nicked they chose a tuner
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    On stage - Boss TU-2. Accurate to "only" 3 cents, but that's plenty because it's a stage tuner.

At home - Polytune app on my iPhone. It's £3. It probably saved me more than that in hourly rate the first time I used it to set up a guitar with a floating trem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    edited August 2013
    Ooh, I like the look of that gogo, haven't seen that before, great for someone like me who is largely blind in one eye (no kidding, it's about as real life "blues"as I get), I've got a plolytune mini at the mo but the display is starting to annoy the f out of me, if you look it off centre it's hard to read, and I never use the poly function. Oct - did you also have the gogo, if so was it any good?
    There's also a snark pedal tuner that may be worth checking out, I love my snark clip ons, they are awesomes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2013
    haha all you need to be legit is for the dog to run away and get a divorce.

Also interested to know about the GOGO, Octatonic. I need a tuner hence the thread and might order the GOGO. Think it works out at about £45+shipping and customs (if you get checked).
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I use the polytune - nice and clear onstage and the tune all once is handy for a quick check to see which string is out.

I'd quite like to get something as clear but a non pedal type as I leave it on all the time (line out from the volume pedal).
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited August 2013
    dindude said:
    Ooh, I like the look of that gogo, haven't seen that before
    +1

Edit: I use a TU-2; it's close enough for rock & roll.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Used to use a Polytune but it annoyed my as it made a funny noise through the amp when tuning (common issue it seems). Currently just use the tuner on my AxeFX, or a little clips on headstock one when at home or when I can't be arsed to take the AxeFX rig.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Joyo JT-305 stage tuner - pitchblack clone, built like a tank. £26

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2954

Lew said:

Korg Pitchblack accurate to 1 cent. Looks like it could be broken by a midget in slippers. Derp Knightrider display £49.99

I've gigged a Pitchblack Poly regularly for about a year, and there's barely a scratch on it. It's survived being stomped on by a tubby bloke in boots, so it can probably withstand a midget in slippers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27106
    My favourite of those is the PolyTune - better than the Hardwire HT-6 (it's closest competitor).

Second choice, if I wasn't going polyphonic, would have to be the Pitchblack. Brilliant on-stage, and nowhere near as twitchy as anything similar.

Our bassist had the Joyo Pitchblack clone, and it was shite; simply not accurate.
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27845
    edited August 2013
    Polytune Mini here. Absolutely brilliant for gigging a party band, though I prefer the full-fat PT in use because of its strobe mode. Will likely have a board rejig and get a Polytune 2 at some point (have we had a thread on those? Not sure what the difference is tbh).

I had a Korg DT10 for years and that was really great, but a little big on a pedalboard. If they did that in a teeny box it'd be awesome.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:
    On stage - Boss TU-2. Accurate to "only" 3 cents, but that's plenty because it's a stage tuner.

At home - Polytune app on my iPhone. It's £3. It probably saved me more than that in hourly rate the first time I used it to set up a guitar with a floating trem.
    Exactly the same here. Got the TC app on phone and iPad - a bargain at £2.99.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I've got a TU-3 on one board and a Polytune Mini on the other. 

I do miss the single strum option when I gig with the TU-3, but the speed and accuracy of the actual tuning seems to be better on the TU-3. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    TU-3. Best spend I made this year. Does 'stuff' and is bomb proof.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29203
    Of those I've only got or have used the Turbo Tuner, but I don't feel any need to try any others. It's fast and accurate - what more could you need?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1571
    I have a spare Turbo Tuner that I will let go for £75 shipped if that's of interest?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    dindude said:
    There's also a snark pedal tuner that may be worth checking out, I love my snark clip ons, they are awesomes.
    Thanks for the heads up - I just ordered the non clip on snark (doesn't have a pedal but I don't need that) - for £10 delivered it'll sit on my rehearsal board very nicely :)
    Yeah, think I'm gonna take a punt on the snark pedal tuner, £38 posted from amazon, the display looks like just what I want.