The boring pedal tuner thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Digitech Hardwire Tuner.  The mono one.

It doesn't have a buffer which I prefer as I have buffers elsewhere in my chain and means I can use a tuner with a fuzzface if I want to have a simple chain.  It also has a thru, so I can leave it permanently on.  I usually have a volume pedal further up the chain which I can use to mute the signal if necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the new Polytune has a couple of changes one of which is supposed to be an eye searing readout for use in daylight conditions.Some may remember an ancient MR thread about which tuners work best in daylight/outdoors. Fairly sure none of them were brilliant ( Timmyo did the testing IIRC). I was quite interested in the Snark pedal tuner after reading this current discussion although one of the review comments about that is it is hopeless in the sunshine. Although, it does offer a 9v out, the only one to do that apart from Boss as far as I can see.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I read that about the Snark, but then the Premier Guitar review says that it's readable in bright sunlight so who knows. I think the pitchblack also has 9v out.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've a Snark and a Peterson Strobostomp2

Also interested in the Korg DT-4 in spinny mode :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • dindude said:
    I read that about the Snark, but then the Premier Guitar review says that it's readable in bright sunlight so who knows. I think the pitchblack also has 9v out.
    And probably a solvable problem by sticking a bit of card behind the tuner anyway. Plus outdoor gigs are just not rock'n'roll...maaaan.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73179
    Plus outdoor gigs are just not rock'n'roll...maaaan.
    Er... are you sure about that... maaaan?

:D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    dindude said:
    I'm looking at one, and it is.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Another Pitchblack user here.   Had it over a year and it seems like a solid and reliable bit of kit to me.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    dindude said:
    ... I think the pitchblack also has 9v out.
    Yes it does :)
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • daveyh said:
    Son's got the Snark pedal, very sci-fi looking, great big bright display and nicely accurate.
       Exactly why I got mine- I hate having to lean over and squint, and I can see this from across the room.  Works great!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    frankus said:

Also interested in the Korg DT-4 in spinny mode :)
    It's very eye catching and when it locks on the frequency the little red LED triangles top and bottom light to confirm. Sexy as you like but it doesn't look overly butch so can't be kicked about the floor. It also doesn't have a mains/power in or a signal out option. I've used mine for about 10 years without issues.

• tbmtbm Frets: 585
    I've had a couple of TU-2s for years. No complaints. Also like clip on's recent't, the planet waves one in particular.

I'm about to have a go at a set up for the first time in years - usually just get it done - and I'm planning on using the Polytune app on my iPhone. That'll be ok, right?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Use both the TU and a Mini Polytune - I really like the TU models, they're just the job..

Anyway what's wrong with a boring Tuner ? I'd rather that than a dramatic one ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Plus one for the Snark pedal tuner - it's never let me down (yet): www.snarktuners.com/pedal-new

• ESBlonde said:
    I have a Korg GA30 in the acoustic case. I also have a Korg DT4 for the electrics, never had a tuner pedal or felt the need. I downloaded Gstrings onto the phone too which is handy.

I couldn't gig without one, a tuner pedal with mute is the best thing ever invented - well, nearly. I used to use a strobostomp but it is large and takes up a lot of board space, plus it's so accurate (I mean precise) that it took me ages to tune up between numbers. Which meant the singer would talk... I'm currently using a Polytune and so far so good, although the poly function isn't as accurate (damn, precise!) as individual note tuning for me.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Well a snark pedal tuner landed today, very nice big bright display, its like going to the cinema compared with watching a film on TV after my polytune mini :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16454
    edited September 2013
    ESBlonde;25406" said:
    I have a Korg GA30 in the acoustic case. I also have a Korg DT4 for the electrics, never had a tuner pedal or felt the need. I downloaded Gstrings onto the phone too which is handy.
    struggle to imagine how you would regularly gig without a pedal tuner ( unless you have a roadie). Seen players who have no fx at all but still have a tuner pedal. Or people with no tuner pedal but I want to strangle them.

:(|)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5043
    Peterson StroboStomp with sweetened tuning. No idea how useful it is on an outdoor (daylight) stage, but it sure helps to tune my guitar.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    ESBlonde;25406" said:
    struggle to imagine how you would regularly gig without a pedal tuner ( unless you have a roadie). Seen players who have no fx at all but still have a tuner pedal. Or people with no tuner pedal but I want to strangle them.

One advantage is having more than one guitar on stage ;-) but even so I grew up in the days before digital tuners and learned how to tune a guitar (sometimes during a song !!! ). A hand held tuner check between sets was a matter of course, but having stable guitars without wammy bars might help. :-O
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73179
    ESBlonde said:
    ESBlonde;25406" said:

One advantage is having more than one guitar on stage ;-) but even so I grew up in the days before digital tuners and learned how to tune a guitar (sometimes during a song !!! ). A hand held tuner check between sets was a matter of course, but having stable guitars without wammy bars might help. :-O
    I'm old enough to have learned to do it by turning the guitar down to just above zero and crouching down right next to the amp so you can't hear it out front. I agree tuners do make it easier but I don't think they're as essential as today's generation think.

I almost never take more than one guitar either! For what it's worth probably the most tuning-stable guitar I ever gigged with was my 1965 Fender Jaguar - I used the trem too. I actually think it can help, if the guitar is really well set up - the trem movement helps to release any friction at the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein