The boring pedal tuner thread

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Now that this thread has been necro-bumped -
    oops...yes, sorry - didn't notice how old it was. :)

Still - useful...might try one of these snark pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited December 2016
    I've been using a Polytune clip for the past year or so, but it's started to bug me. It seems slow and gets confused quite a lot - particularly with the low E. For some reason it doesn't pick it up, or tells me it's tuned to G or something... so I abandon, tune the rest and go back and it's working fine. Quite often I go back and check them all after a few seconds and they're all slightly out too.

I bought a TU3 this week and it seems much simpler and quicker. The clip is now relegated to taking to my lessons only I think. I considered the Polytune pedal but opted for the Boss due to the above experience with the clip.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I have a Polytune clip, and I agree it's far from perfect, and especially tends to read the low E a bit wrong (i.e. it shows it a tad flat when it's actually in tune) if reading all the strings at the same time. And sometimes it does seem to just glitch a bit in general - often moving it to a slightly different position on the headstock helps. Still, for those occasions when I need a clip on tuner, I wouldn't be without it - the best clip on tuner I've had.

I have a Digitech Hardwire HT-6 on my pedalboard, and that's fantastic - accurate, well-designed, great bright display, fast to track notes, polyphonic mode works great, built like a tank.
  • These days I use a Korg Pitchblack (a red one!) onstage and a Boss TU-12 at home. Both do their jobs.
     Once upon a time, I used the TU-12 onstage with an A/B box, with the tuner sitting on top of the amp. I found I could tune up really quickly, even retuning the odd miscreant string mid-song without hassle. I suppose you just get used to what you have.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • bazxkr said:

I have a couple of effects pedals that I use the inbuilt tuners on seem good but my standalone tuner is the huge Boss TU-1000. Picked it up brand new for same cost as a TU-2. Don't gig so haven't gotta worry about fitting it on a board. And with my old eyes that big bright display is so easy for me to see clearly. Bloody great buy for £80 for my needs anyway.

+ or - 1 cent accuracy

Cheers  Baz

Looks like that bloody spaceship in Close Encounters!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboy said:
    bazxkr said:

I have a couple of effects pedals that I use the inbuilt tuners on seem good but my standalone tuner is the huge Boss TU-1000. Picked it up brand new for same cost as a TU-2. Don't gig so haven't gotta worry about fitting it on a board. And with my old eyes that big bright display is so easy for me to see clearly. Bloody great buy for £80 for my needs anyway.

+ or - 1 cent accuracy

Cheers  Baz

Looks like that bloody spaceship in Close Encounters!

Perfect for tuning your CylonPhone. 
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Peterson Strobostomp was the best purchase I made year. Noticable difference in the recording studio from my Boss TU2, TU12 and HX Stomp tuner.
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 350
    Another vote for the Peterson Strobostomp. Well built, versatile, easy to read and more accurate than the two TU3s I've owned.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Strobostomp HD letting you choose the colour and brightness means it should work for anyone, plus the sweetened tuning is ace. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Turbotuner killed my tuner GAS. Simple, very accurate, excellent. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73119
    I had a Boss TU-1000 briefly - it was brilliant, especially the “X-Wing fighter targeting computer” display when you’re dead-on in tune, but it was so vast and power-hungry that it just wasn’t practical.

The TU-3 has a similar display mode but not as good... I actually slightly prefer the TU-2, even though it’s less accurate and doesn’t have the ‘bright’ mode. I don’t find ultra-accuracy a very useful feature for a stage tuner really... a clear display and not jittering about is better.

I don’t use a separate tuner at all now though - if I’m not using my multi-FX I’ve got a TC Polytune Clip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Peterson. 
    Great tuners... and when one of mine failed (long after warranty expired) they sent me a new circuit board and detailed instructions on how to fit it.. and a few days later contacted me to see if the repair had gone well.  All free of charge.  Amazing service.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30321
    Pitch Pipes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2427
    I've got a Korg Pitchblack bought about 6 or 8 years ago. It still works, so I've still got it. I like the polyphonic all strings at once mode.

If I were getting a new one it would be a PolyTune I think.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    Moore Baby in my FX bag for rehearsals and gigs, Polytune Mini kicking about the gear room for home practise
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3180
    Peterson on pedal board, great tuner , and D’Addario clip on for acoustics. The Peterson is more accurate than the D’Ad apparently but in standard very difficult to hear the difference, temper tuning is a different matter
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk