Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice Please Guys. Sellers Hell - My Experience

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5111
    edited February 2020
    All sorts happens on eBay, not always good, and often two sides to the story. All the best. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tele69tele69 Frets: 198
    Thanks for the kind and supportive comments. Truly appreciated. 
    I can confirm that the certificate in question is definitely the original as it was a little bent and slightly kinked from where it sat in the case compartment.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @tele69 a 2008 US model, white?
    Hi Andrew. No it’s not I’m afraid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don’t really want anyone messaging him. He might have his reasons for behaving like this. I would hope a good explanation as to why I had to turn my gaff upside down looking for nothing.
     I honestly prefer to live in peace but y’know.. a word of warning for you who use that pitiful platform to sell your hard earned gear. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1466
    DefaultM said:
    Make a new account, buy it and then cause him a load of shit back.

Yeah, I'd do this.  Borrow a mates account so it's a different delivery address and doesn't suspect something and do the same back to him.  eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer.

Until they change the rules, eBay is a no no for private sales IMHO.  It's just not worth the pain.

• Phone eBay and see if you can escalate it
  • I think you should have held firm before accepting a return or partial refund, presumably you photographed the dents in the listing and unless you explicitly mentioned the certificate in the listing I dont see how he can claim it wasnt as described. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I’d rather not resort to anything deemed underhand. I’m probably to soft for my own good. I do however have options after talking to a friend who works in this field. I’ll keep you posted guys. Sincerest thanks for your much appreciated input 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1220
    I would phone ebay. As the case was already resolved / closed, it would probably be difficult to reopen it, but they might help you on the phone. 

Or, buy it back and return the favour. 

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    I sold a pickup for 100 and the buyer claimed it wasn't working and asked for 60 partial refund to have it rewound.

I gave the refund,  but on reflection I think I might have been scammed. He wasn't keen on returning for a full refund I recall.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    Fishboy7 said:
    I sold a pickup for 100 and the buyer claimed it wasn't working and asked for 60 partial refund to have it rewound.

I gave the refund,  but on reflection I think I might have been scammed. He wasn't keen on returning for a full refund I recall.
    Sounds like a dodgy one... thats why you should only offer a full refund. If its faulty, then fair enough and the buyer should be happy to return it but if not...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    edited February 2020
    What an arsehole! I'd pursue it if you can, as others have said just out of principle.

There's a very good chance that eBay will totally let you down (they're very good at that), so before you start whatever process you decide to go with, do a little mental prep along the lines of "If this works then great, but if not then at least I've done all I can"... and then let it go if nothing comes of it
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    impmann said:
    Fishboy7 said:

Sounds like a dodgy one... thats why you should only offer a full refund. If its faulty, then fair enough and the buyer should be happy to return it but if not...
    Really interesting, this. I sold a pedal on ebay recently. Worked perfectly but I got a message from the buyer saying he couldn't get it to turn on, and asked for a partial refund to get it fixed. I'm not really au fait with eBay and the current crop of scams, but didn't want the chap to have the hassle of a busted pedal so i simply offered him a full refund if he'd send it back. That was it, no further communications at all from him. On the basis of whats been said on this thread, it sounds very much like a try on.

Really sad that some folk behave like this for a few quid.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    MattP said:
    impmann said:
    Fishboy7 said:

Really interesting, this. I sold a pedal on ebay recently. Worked perfectly but I got a message from the buyer saying he couldn't get it to turn on, and asked for a partial refund to get it fixed. I'm not really au fait with eBay and the current crop of scams, but didn't want the chap to have the hassle of a busted pedal so i simply offered him a full refund if he'd send it back. That was it, no further communications at all from him. On the basis of whats been said on this thread, it sounds very much like a try on.

Really sad that some folk behave like this for a few quid.
    Yeah it is. Some people are skint and resort to desperate measures. Some people are out to gain by whatever means with no scruples. Sad isn’t it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    I bought a 'project' guitar a while ago and then realised that I was never going to do anything with it so I sold it on eBay. Before he bought it, the buyer had asked me if the neck was straight, and I had told him that it was. When he received it, he told me that the neck was twisted and would cost £180 to fix. I offered to go half on the repair. He accepted, and I refunded him the £90. A few months later he sold the guitar for a substantial profit, with absolutely no sign of any work having been done to it and no disclosure about a twisted neck. I'll never offer a partial refund again.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2425
    Unfortunately the world is full of shisters who are happy to be morally reprehensible in order to make money. Sad, but that really is human nature.

:-(
  • The worse thing is he's probably a member here scoping the classifieds for whats about to go on ebay.  Wanker
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 959
    Gave up on e-bay, too many thieving conning deceitful bastards, and that's just e-bay customer support. Now only buy/sell on here or Reverb. 
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    Yes. My faith is lost totally now. I’m by no means wealthy.. the polar opposite. Shite man.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    I would rather burn something or give it away for free than sell it on eBay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.