Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice Please Guys. Sellers Hell - My Experience

What's Hot

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited February 2020
    Love it!especially if it's got dings, I'll make it easy on you both.... Fancy a swap for my usa telecaster? D
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Before more of you start aiming your pitchforks at Chris, worth saying that I’ve known him for a few years. I’ve done a couple of deals with him, both buying and selling, and in my experience he’s straight as a die and completely trustworthy.  
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78 said:
    chris78 said:

prlgmnr said:

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call that buckle rash.
    It doesn’t photo well and neither do the dents in the top, but I can assure you they are there and unlike the op, I’ve made it clear on my eBay listing. The difference is, when I sell something, people know what they are getting. If I overdo the condition, I’d rather that than pretend it’s something it isn’t.
    You haven’t made it clear in your eBay listing at all. These are your words:

”Guitar has isn't in brand new condition, but in my view has started the ageing process that these guitars are designed for beautifully. This guitar will relic with age, but with real wear, not false "relic" style wear.”

That’s quite different from: “4 decent dings to the top and other scratching and play wear”.

Look at the condition section. I’ve stated there is buckle rash and multiple to the top including one down to the wood.
    Anyway, I’ll wait and see if I hear from the op.
    If he feels he’s been wronged, he’ll take the guitar back and refund my money. Everyone is happy.
    Itll be interesting to see if he does or if he’s trying to scam me through eBay. I wonder?
    It doesn’t show that on the IOS app then. It just says:

Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    edited February 2020
    Before more of you start aiming your pitchforks at Chris, worth saying that I’ve known him for a few years. I’ve done a couple of deals with him, both buying and selling, and in my experience he’s straight as a die and completely trustworthy.  
    Not aiming a pitchfork at all. Just pointing out that I can’t see any mention in Chris’ eBay listing of the very things that he said the OP didn’t mention. I’m willing to believe that’s because eBay is shit though and it doesn’t appear on the IOS version.

edit: same on pc version - no mention of the dings etc.

Someone is telling porkies...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    edited February 2020
    The only thing I can see is the small chip at the top there. Can't see any buckle rash, although sure it might well be there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:

prlgmnr said:

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call that buckle rash.
    It doesn’t photo well and neither do the dents in the top, but I can assure you they are there and unlike the op, I’ve made it clear on my eBay listing. The difference is, when I sell something, people know what they are getting. If I overdo the condition, I’d rather that than pretend it’s something it isn’t.
    You haven’t made it clear in your eBay listing at all. These are your words:

”Guitar has isn't in brand new condition, but in my view has started the ageing process that these guitars are designed for beautifully. This guitar will relic with age, but with real wear, not false "relic" style wear.”

That’s quite different from: “4 decent dings to the top and other scratching and play wear”.

Look at the condition section. I’ve stated there is buckle rash and multiple to the top including one down to the wood.
    Anyway, I’ll wait and see if I hear from the op.
    If he feels he’s been wronged, he’ll take the guitar back and refund my money. Everyone is happy.
    Itll be interesting to see if he does or if he’s trying to scam me through eBay. I wonder?

So if the OP doesn't lend you his guitar for free for a few weeks, including paying postage and accepting any amount of damage that you may have done, he's trying to scam you? The scam honestly sounds like it's going the other way. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited February 2020
    No mention of any of the dings in the listing at all tbh!!!!! Just the usual cut and paste from fender...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    edited February 2020
    Also you bought the guitar for £1175 and thought the dings and / or lack of certificate were worth a £200 discount but you're now selling it for £1250? They can't devalue the guitar that much in your mind then....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    [Modmin hat on]

This is clearly an emotive thread with two distinct sides to the story.

There’s a danger for this type of thread to get nasty - when you post please do think before you click that ‘post comment’ button and remember rule #1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a dicky bird about any dings there mate - you might want to check your listing if youre so convinced that youve mentioned them. Throws doubt on your story about the certificate as well tbh. Bet youre glad you piped up
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    [Modmin hat on]

There’s a danger for this type of thread to get nasty - when you post please do think before you click that ‘post comment’ button and remember rule #1
    But you’ve gotta admit there’s a certain Shakespearean quality to the drama that’s being played out in real time, Bridgester Sir..?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • £1175 for this model of Jazzmaster, which was described as very good condition, with a staytrem and gold guard, I'd say was very fair. I'd say the condition is accurately described. Personally I'd have been more than happy. The COA incident is baffling. 

But everybody expects different things from used items. You should have sent it back. It would have sold at that price no probs again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • [Modmin hat on]

Stop being the fun police @Bridgehouse ;
    this is just getting a tasty 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    JerkMoans said:
    [Modmin hat on]

But you’ve gotta admit there’s a certain Shakespearean quality to the drama that’s being played out in real time, Bridgester Sir..?
    [Modmin hat on]

Stop being the fun police @Bridgehouse ;
    this is just getting a tasty 
    No rules have been broken at this point.. there’s nothing wrong with the thread.. 

But in the past these things have taken a turn for the worst and and I wanted to get in b4 the lock ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, it doesn't say much about dings. Just the ageing process, whatever that is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9614
    I’m going to have one final say and then let TFB have its fun.
    I regularly buy and sell guitars and I lose a fortune. I’ve had over 100 pass through my hands in 5 years and most I’ve sold at substantial loss. Plenty of people on here have sold me gear and brought it from me. On virtually every occasion I’ve sold at a loss. I think the most I’ve lost is about £1400 on a paisley thinline tele.
    If anyone thinks I’d rip someone off over £150, good luck to you  =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7301
    Assuming I’m looking at the right listing, it just has the standard eBay text for a used item (may have some signs of cosmetic wear, etc etc)

In the description text the wear is described as “Guitar has isn't (sic) in brand new condition, but in my view has started the ageing process that these guitars are designed for beautifully. This guitar will relic with age, but with real wear, not false "relic" style wear.”  To be fair, if I was selling something on eBay I would be as sunny as possible about wear and tear, in the same way as estate agents will describe a house as ‘retains many period features’ instead of saying ‘hasn’t been renovated in 50 years’.

I can’t see £200 worth of wear damage in the pictures (but hey, they’re only pictures).  I’m not in the habit of buying £1000+ used guitars, but I imagine it would take quite a bit to devalue a guitar by 20%.

On the face of it the guitar was sold for £1175, got a £150 partial refund and is swiftly back up for sale again at £1250 without obvious mention of serious wear.  I’m struggling to see how this can be done with an entirely clear conscience. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 25reaction image Wisdom
  • tele69tele69 Frets: 198
    I’m happy to call time on this now. My generally point was based on saying things were missing when they weren’t. How the fuck a certificate magically appears in a packing carton is beyond comprehension. I know exactly where I put that certificate... believe me. 
    Yet I still turned my place over in the 0.0001 chance I was wrong. Having to potentially pay for a new one is a fuck on and I factored that into the counter offer too.
    My interpretation of play wear is the total opposite of case queen in
    my head. It’s been described like it’s served in Vietnam. I buy guitars and use them but I’ll be sure in the future to identify every indentation and mark on any advert. Let’s hope it’s not a Gallagher Strat. Lesson learned. 

Being called a liar I put down to a reaction. I would hope that’s seriously reconsidered by the buyer as it’s ridiculous.... particularly in this situation  ... I’m not gonna go there with daft fucking name calling. I’m too ‘grown up’ for that Chris at least.
    im sure you’re a decent fella as people have stated 
    And to be honest ... good luck with that sale. All the best

Thanks for tuning in you lot. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4699
    edited February 2020
    you claimed the £150 because the COA was missing but then “found” it in the box but didn’t bother telling the seller ? Bit shitty that really In my eyes. 

Absolutely no issue with someone selling a guitar for more than you paid, that’s just the way the world works, it’s your guitar you choose how much you wanna sell it for. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    Yep. I don't see that amount of money in the issues described.

The confusing thing here for me is that those issues aren't described in the new listing so it's either not that bad so you don't have to declare it, in which case I don't understand why you'd ask for the refund, or someone isn't being told about the issues and is going to be equally surprised when they receive it if the issues are there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.