NGD - Not as described by seller (Fretboard member)

What's Hot

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2020
    I think this whole thing is a good advert for getting rid of the phrase "as new" in sales of used guitars. 

Personally, I think the phrase means "In its packaging, unused and with a full warranty". 

If any of those don't apply, then it isn't the same as new. 

You don't get any of those things on a used guitar. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5006
    edited March 2020
    I think this whole thing is a good advert for getting rid of the phrase "as new" in sales of used guitars. 

Personally, I think the phrase means "In its packaging, unused and with a full warranty". 

If any of those don't apply, then it isn't the same as new. 

You don't get any of those things on a used guitar. 
    Back in and Wiz'd, in fact eBay doesn't let you list as new now I think, unless it is actually BNIB?

Perhaps that should be a new forum rule?

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    Sassafras said:
    Iamnobody said:
    What a sad post. The unnecessary criticism of the buyer from some members is a disgrace.

I think the OP has taken it well - in his shoes I’d be telling each and every one you to help yourselves to a great big slice of fuck off.

The price paid is irrelevant, the guitar received  was simply not as described. Any other ‘opinion’ is invalid. 

OP - I hope the seller does the right thing.

The price paid is very relevant.
    Why is it? You can’t turn this situation round by saying - oh well you got it at a good price and therefore so what if it’s not unmarked. 

As someone mentioned above it’s a lesson to us all in how guitars should be advertised. If you sell something as unmarked and as new then that’s what a buyer should expect, price notwithstanding.

Anyway the seller’s responded now so hopefully it will get resolved and we can all play nicely again.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    The price paid would be very relevant in a court of law - just saying ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikc said:
    The price paid would be very relevant in a court of law - just saying ;)
    A sales "contract" has two parts. The goods, and the price. Either one is central to the contract and cannot be changed after the contract has been fulfilled. So no, a court of law would not say "ah that's fair enough as it was a good price" 

Don't be so silly!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2425
    edited March 2020
    Theatrical mode on..

M'lud, what should a buyer have reasonably decided the condition of a guitar, described as "as new" in an advertisement, yet also described, in the same advertisement, as having been used in a recording situation and having been owned by the seller for 3 months to be?

Clearly both statements can't be true at the same time.

I put it that a reasonable buyer would take a view that it wasn't perfect, but would probably be very close to perfect (was it a Gibson by the way?).

And would the asking price of said guitar, being approximately 50% of the new price, just some 3 months previous, have any bearing on the expected condition?

What's that M'lud? The condition would appear more than commensurate with a reasonable buyers expectation. Thank goodness!..

Theatrical mode off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    I can’t decide.... Pitchfork or Popcorn  =)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I have no opinion either way how'ver..... That made my return from Amsterdam to the UK a lot more entertaining, thank you, spot on tfb thread. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 820
    Adey said:
    Theatrical mode on..

M'lud, what should a buyer have reasonably decided the condition of a guitar, described as "as new" in an advertisement, yet also described, in the same advertisement, as having been used in a recording situation and having been owned by the seller for 3 months to be?

I put it that a reasonable buyer would take a view that it wasn't perfect, but would probably be very close to perfect (was it a Gibson by the way?).

And would the asking price of said guitar, being approximately 50% of the new price, just some 3 months previous, have any bearing on the expected condition?

What's that M'lud? The condition would appear commensurate with a reasonable buyers expectation. Thank goodness!..

Theatrical mode off.
    A fine piece of theatre. However, a judge would have to decide what importance to place on the various comments in the advert. “Fantastic unmarked condition, as new describes the condition. Used in a studio refers to use. If used carefully there is no reason to suggest that this would have any effect on the condition of the guitar. 

Therefore, the statement about being as new and fantastic unmarked condition, pertaining to the condition of the guitar, would have more importance than statements about the use of the guitar by the seller. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Can we get Judge Judy on the case?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    Adey said:
    Theatrical mode on..

What's that M'lud? The condition would appear more than commensurate with a reasonable buyers expectation. Thank goodness!..

Theatrical mode off.
    Not only that but you can actually see the mark on the pickup in the pictures in the original ad. If the pictures show something different from what is described would the buyer not be expected to question that? If I really cared about a guitar being completely unmarked I would double-check that with the seller. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous this whole thing is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm bored now...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 915
    Adey said:
    I'm bored now...
    Scotland France Rugby on. No need to be bored........ 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oooooo! Telly on mode...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    If you can’t resolve it then I’m happy to buy the guitar.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Adey said:
    Can we get Judge Judy on the case?
    I dunno man, if she sat on the case then there would be damages... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Can see both sides of this

Rating condition out of 10 would be much better - this looks like an 8 to me
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bunch of dickmunchers.

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you can’t resolve it then I’m happy to buy the guitar.
    But only if it’s in as new condition? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 387
    edited March 2020
    I don’t think the OP should be criticised - The neck pocket paint cracks aren’t on. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with the guitar but that’s not nice. It might not bother some people but I wouldn't be over the moon about it. 

The other things I wouldn’t be bothered about tbh. 

Maybe I’m just weird about the neck pocket. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.